Author Topic: The Warming Climate  (Read 54548 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: The Warming Climate
« Reply #475 on: May 31, 2017, 09:45:43 PM »
Oil spills wiped out entire habitats, plus there are now technologies that substantially reduce or even eliminate the bird issue

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #476 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »
Oil spills wiped out entire habitats, plus there are now technologies that substantially reduce or even eliminate the bird issue

How do you keep birds from flying into the turbines? Make them walk on the ground underneath them, put nets around the blades? Seriously, inform us weather folks what technology elminates birds from flying into the blades. As we say (at least in the USA), operators are standing by for your response.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #477 on: May 31, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
Then if wind generators can stand on their own piles without any tax payer subsidies then so be it, governments should immediately stop subsidizing them. I can already hear the hue n cry but no point claiming they don't need subsidies until the subsidies are zero.   
You do know that conventional energy production is heavily subsidized don't you?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:55:53 PM by hankster »

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #478 on: May 31, 2017, 11:12:03 PM »

How do you keep birds from flying into the turbines? Make them walk on the ground underneath them, put nets around the blades? Seriously, inform us weather folks what technology elminates birds from flying into the blades. As we say (at least in the USA), operators are standing by for your response.

Wind turbines kill between 214,000 and 368,000 birds annually — a small fraction compared with the estimated 6.8 million fatalities from collisions with cell and radio towers and the 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion deaths from cats, according to the peer-reviewed study by two federal scientists and the environmental consulting firm West Inc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #479 on: May 31, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
Then if wind generators can stand on their own piles without any tax payer subsidies then so be it, governments should immediately stop subsidizing them. I can already hear the hue n cry but no point claiming they don't need subsidies until the subsidies are zero.   
You do know that conventional energy production is heavily subsidized don't you?

Your heavily subsidized claim is rather over hyped. Much of the subsidy stuff is that mandated by gov on the power user to cover what is "given" to the renewables. Typical subsidy (mainly paid to coal mining) is $130m, Solar $2,002m, wind $388m (infant stage) or in real terms $0.86/MWh for coal fired, $412/MWh for solar, $42/MWh (but increasing) for wind. Conventional energy production is heavily subsidized is rubbish, in this country conventional gets $0.70/MWh and Renewables get $76/MWh.

I say cut all subsidies all together, no more handouts for minimal input
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:42:28 PM by Mattk »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2017, 05:40:12 AM »

Im of course not American, but let´s pretend I am.
I understand you might not like the fact you are in a way also paying for this. However! If I were American, I would also be paying billions towards things I dont like...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/12/us-taxpayers-subsidising-worlds-biggest-fossil-fuel-companies

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »

Im of course not American, but let´s pretend I am.
I understand you might not like the fact you are in a way also paying for this. However! If I were American, I would also be paying billions towards things I dont like...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/12/us-taxpayers-subsidising-worlds-biggest-fossil-fuel-companies

Not being American leaves me out but then Trump will fix that for you :)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #482 on: June 01, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »
First of all, Trump already realized that all he promised is obviously not going to happen, his power is not resolute in all cases.

Second, even if the U.S. withdraws from the Paris agreement it is not going to be the end of the world, globally U.S. is just one of the larger countries, not something that everyone depends on.

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »
And they account for only 15% of global releases. If the remaining 85% work in the right direction the improvement will be noticeable

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #484 on: June 01, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
I hope the hell we withdraw from from the Paris agreement. It was done by an Obama executive order without going through congress so needs to go away.
Look at how the rest of the world lives up to these so called agreements. They don't... Just take the Nato agreement 23 of 28 countries don't pay their agreed upon share including the richest country in Europe.... Germany. 

The USA can still make their obligation of cutting emissions agreed upon by the Paris agreement without cutting a check for billions. This was just another bad deal we got stuck into by the last administration pushing the far left globalism agenda.
Randy

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #485 on: June 01, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
I am for that if the US still takes strides in cutting emissions and further enhancements in energy alternatives.  EU doesn't like it now because they now have to cough up their share of the burden which is what they originally signed on to do anyway. The $75 billion that was being written to support the EU share of the bargain can now be used here to clean up our own backyard...and still reduce emissions.

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »
I am for that if the US still takes strides in cutting emissions and further enhancements in energy alternatives.  EU doesn't like it now because they now have to cough up their share of the burden which is what they originally signed on to do anyway. The $75 billion that was being written to support the EU share of the bargain can now be used here to clean up our own backyard...and still reduce emissions.

Yes I absolutely agree, this is substance instead of providing links to a narrative.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #487 on: June 01, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
They don't... Just take the Nato agreement 23 of 28 countries don't pay their agreed upon share including the richest country in Europe.... Germany.

but that is fake news from Trump himself
that is not how Nato works

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
that's right. That's how NATO doesn't work.... Agreed upon is 2% GDP to be spent upon NATO missions/etc. There are those not meeting that requirement within NATO and thus the burden to compensate comes from the US and possibly other nations. All that was ask was those parties to start living up to their end of the agreement and pay their share. They are not being asked to pay above the 2% level, just meet that level as signed to.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
the rest of the world is looking at each other for support now, with the USA being left out on its own more and more now, under Trump's america first (I have no problem with what a country decides to do for its own country)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
and its official, USA has pulled out of the Paris agreement (which the rest of the world signed up to)

global warming will carry on anyway

it might be a good thing, as other countries will be spurred to do more (and states within the USA might be spurred on to do more as well, e.g California)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #492 on: June 01, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
China will carry the ball for the US.  Too funny.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #493 on: June 01, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »
yes, other countries in the world are taking up more leadership roles in allot of things
as the USA is becoming less and less of a world leader in allot of areas now (under the USA first rule)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Might be a few climate scientists worrying about their funding now?   

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #495 on: June 01, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »
Regard the US it's interesting that Obama signed up the US without any ratification, which some agreed with but now Trump has un-signed the agreement without ratification those same people are calling fowl, interesting double standards being applied by some.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #496 on: June 01, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
Might be a few climate scientists worrying about their funding now?
but its a global problem
so there are plenty of climate scientists around the world who will be picking up the slack (and who do not rely on grants etc) and carrying on the research
remember that the USA is not the world

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #497 on: June 01, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
Then the USA pulling out should be no big deal? 

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #498 on: June 01, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
you could say not really in the long run
as other countries are going to benefit in leadership in renewable energy (which will create jobs etc) (which the USA could lose out on )

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #499 on: June 01, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »
you could say not really in the long run
as other countries are going to benefit in leadership in renewable energy (which will create jobs etc) (which the USA could lose out on )

Starting to sound more like a climate scientist, that's nothing more than speculation.

anything