Author Topic: FARCEBOOK  (Read 6768 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
FARCEBOOK
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3991.0
Time to move away from the "Farcebook" type postings, folks... this forum is rapidly approaching 3rd grade... or, do as you will, ... arrrrgggghhhh....  :twisted:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: FARCEBOOK
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »
Fakebook.

World's worst invention.  Only used by those whose IQ is less than their belt size.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
Fakebook.

World's worst invention.  Only used by those whose IQ is less than their belt size.

+1.  I hate it.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
Well I have to disagree on this one.

Because it really depends how you use it.

I have friends all around the world, many of them dont use email very often, they live on the other side of the globe so Im not going to call them either.... and thanks to Facebook I can keep in touch with them, we have groups/pages for our former classes and it is nice to actually be able to see what your old friends are doing, sometimes chat to them, send them a message and last month we organized a meeting - 10yrs after middle school graduation. And it was only possible thanks to the connections, because each one of us had email to maybe one or two other people, but because it is all connected, they all shared it and in the end we met up in quite a nice number of people.

On the other hand, I do agree that posting tens of stupid selfies everyday, spending hours and hours chatting to friends that live behind the corner or playing even more stupid FB games is an absolute waste of time - seeing that with my 18yr old sister....

I use it, but I dont post any personal info, dont post crap and I only make my contact details available to people I really want so Im not afraid about my privacy either. I agree that the FB hype is crazy, but meanwhile saying it is only for idiots... well ok, in that case Im an idiot too and Im not deleting my profile today. (btw. I was actually one of the first users of FB in general.... about 8 yrs ago I think, no groups, no chat, no apps, no pages... it was nice, just friends, the wall, but it is still usable)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »
When I was on Facebook, friend of mine was almost constantly posting her minute by minute life. Everything but her trips to the bathroom. Her addiction got steadily worse....so I cured her of it. She posted about leaving for vacation up to standing at the gate at the airport. I posted pictures of guys wearing stocking masks, bandannas over their faces, rough looking thugs with the caption..."thanks for letting us know...we'll stop by and check on your house...don't worry". She now only posts about once a day and has toned it down.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:08 PM »
Generally speaking it's for the younger kids. If something like this was available when were younger then we would have been all over it.
If you took today's kids and put them back when we were young they would be board out of their minds.
What do you mean go play in the street, or play in the woods, or get a baseball game together.
Yeah, times have changed.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
Personally, I am on Facebook very little. My grandkids talked me into getting an account so "they" could communicate with me. Reluctantly, I did so and have only a couple interactions with them since then which was about two years ago.

From a professional perspective however, it has proven to be extremely beneficial to a non-profit I am involved with. As a board member of our local Carson Valley Community Food Closet (https://www.facebook.com/Carson-Valley-Community-Food-Closet-208993025946928/timeline/) the results of having a Facebook presence have been nothing short of amazing. We get many folks walking in to donate food who said they found out about us through Facebook. Just yesterday afternoon we had a gentleman walk in and hand us a check for $1,000 and said his company was also matching his donation. He found us on Facebook!

So, I guess YMMV depending on what you do with Facebook. Jachym has found a great use for it so to say it's worthless or not of any value seems to be dependent on how you, as a user, use it.

We are getting ready to build a new consolidated building that will allow us to have both our storage and operations in a single location. Currently we have to drive several times a day to pick-up stored food items in a warehouse that is over six miles from our distribution center. We plan to use Facebook as one of the means of getting community involvement and donations for the new building.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
The signal to noise ratio though is awful. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
I saw a commercial on TV about a company that will help your business grow by.....creating a professional Facebook page. Seriously ? I would have second thoughts about any company who's primary source of advertising is Facebook.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
I saw a commercial on TV about a company that will help your business grow by.....creating a professional Facebook page. Seriously ? I would have second thoughts about any company who's primary source of advertising is Facebook.

I personally have no use for Facebook, but I don't see the harm in a business wanting to extend it's reach by having a Facebook page. And who says it has to be their primary source of advertising?

My wife works for a small Macadamia Nut farm here in Hawaii, they have a retail store where they make and sell homemade products. They do local farmers markets and have a web page, but they also have a Facebook page which I'm sure really helps with business.  I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is their best source of advertising.

I don't think any less of their business just because they have a Facebook page.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
All noise.

No signal.

I see the F word, I know there is no value and nothing to see.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
Again, while I don't like/use Facebook personally, it is simply another tool that businesses can use to spread awareness about their business products. Let's face it, the younger generation is using social media for many things now so why not take advantage of that to support your own cause whether it is a business or some other kind of cause you are trying to garner support for?

No one is forcing anyone to use Facebook...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
Just a note on FB use by the younger generation.  My high school age kid says NO ONE uses FB anymore.  Apple GroupChat, Snapchat, MMS/SMS etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 03:38:21 PM »
Just a note on FB use by the younger generation.  My high school age kid says NO ONE uses FB anymore.  Apple GroupChat, Snapchat, MMS/SMS etc.

My kid agrees. She doesn't use FB either and uses what you have stated. Snapchat being the big one. She sent me this:

Facebook use has begun to decline among young people.
Between January 2011 and January 2014, Facebook use declined 25.3 percent among those aged 13 to 17, and 7.5 percent among those aged 18 to 24. It grew 41.4 percent among those aged 35 to 54, and a huge 80.4 percent among those aged 55+.

My daughter says, "Typical adults! Getting to the party long after the kids have abandoned it and moved on."  :lol:

FB is just a fad. Here today, gone tomorrow just like MySpace.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:41:25 PM by kcidwx »
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Yeup.  Farcebook fell off when it became MomBook and BusinessAdvertisingBook.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »
A few more years and it'll be on par with MySpace

MyWhat? you ask?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
MySpace....  LOL  Good one!  Add Tripod to that list.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
OP is complaining about posters here posting Farcebook type post. I take it that means posts describing daily happenings, but not really sure.
My thoughts about facebook its very intrusive so my only account is a fake account with no information given other than email. I use it for access to websites that require some kind of account yahoo, google, facebook etc.
As far as contact with friends and family we use the phone (actually talk) including text, and use the old fashion email for images and correspondence. 
Randy

Offline Pagosa Weather

• Flathead Valley Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
It's kind of funny how people's opinions of Facebook are about as strong as they are for politics. IMO, it has it's place... sometimes that place belongs in the toilet, others are golden... like when my grandparents (in their 90's) tell me it makes their day to sit an look at all my pictures.

While you can't control everything on FB, you can generally control how you choose to use it (or not).

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 03:46:30 PM »
MMS/SMS etc.

THAT if something are like 90's  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
I have a weather page on Facebook that has almost 4000 followers and they use the page all the time. I use my website and blog as supplements to go along with FB and Twitter, but if you want to get the weather word out, you have to explore all of the avenues.

It's been a handy tool for me.

Offline gluepack

• Contributor
    • Jerbils' Weather Site
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
If, as I am, you are stuck in a cultural backwater, FB can be extremely useful, in order to stay relatively sane.
I think FlatheadValleyWeather's comment sums it up...
While you can't control everything on FB, you can generally control how you choose to use it (or not).
Or, perhaps even more appropriate, as Bob Dylan once said...
Don't criticize what you can't understand.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
I have a weather page on Facebook that has almost 4000 followers and they use the page all the time. I use my website and blog as supplements to go along with FB and Twitter, but if you want to get the weather word out, you have to explore all of the avenues.

It's been a handy tool for me.

As I said earlier in this thread, I use it and it is quite useful to me, if one uses it wisely, it can be quite nice. But with regards to your 4000 followers I would be a bit cautious... I mean... you probably know yourself that often 90% of "users" are robots etc. so I wouldnt really take this too seriously (unless of course you know those 4000 individuals personally :D

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
LOL! No... 90% are not robots. I know names and faces. :-)