Author Topic: Archived Data Issues  (Read 2941 times)

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
Archived Data Issues
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
I've always liked the PWS Weather station page -- it has a nice, clean presentation of tabular data and easy-to-read graphs.  That said, I've noticed a couple of important issues with my PWS station data archives and I'm wondering if these issues can be fixed.

1. I started uploading to PWS Weather in October of 2008, but records for my station from before 5/2/2011 are inaccessible.  When I select a custom date for any date before 5/2/11, I get one of the two error messages posted below.  I have also checked another station that I know was uploading to PWS before 5/2/11, and it has the same problem.

For dates between 1/2/10 and 5/1/11, I get this error message (on a blank page, with nothing else):

"Could not run SQL query!
ERROR: Unknown column 'b.DailyRainIN' in 'field list'"

For dates 1/1/10 and earlier, I get this error message, also on an otherwise blank page, instead (using a custom date query from 10/2008 as an example):

"Could not run SQL query!
ERROR: Table 'pws.pws_wxstation_obs_200810' doesn't exist"

2. The other issue I've noticed with my archived data is that it's always an hour off during standard time -- the time is always correct during daylight savings time.  This issue has always been present; I think I mentioned it in another thread several years ago.  It applies to both of my stations (at different locations).  I noticed that the new WU graphs have this problem as well.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Archived Data Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »
When PWSweather was moved over to Amazon Web Services (AWS) in 2012 the archive from the previous one year period was restored, but that was all.  We have data saved all the way back to 2005.  In the two and a half years since the move no one has asked about anything before what was restored.  If there's interest it can be restored, but there just didn't appear to be.

On the time issue I'm not sure what would cause that.  The time the data is received is what is used (not what is included in the string sent).  When we go back off daylight saving time you might want to bring it up again and we can look at it.
Joe Torsitano

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
Re: Archived Data Issues
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »
When PWSweather was moved over to Amazon Web Services (AWS) in 2012 the archive from the previous one year period was restored, but that was all.  We have data saved all the way back to 2005.  In the two and a half years since the move no one has asked about anything before what was restored.  If there's interest it can be restored, but there just didn't appear to be.

On the time issue I'm not sure what would cause that.  The time the data is received is what is used (not what is included in the string sent).  When we go back off daylight saving time you might want to bring it up again and we can look at it.

Thanks for the info on the pre-5/2011 obs.  Though it would be nice to have the older obs back on PWS, if doing so would require anything more than a very small amount of time/effort, certainly don't worry about it for my sake.  I appreciate having PWS as a place to upload my data and am happy to have what's currently there.

As to the time issue, I found the thread I posted previously, from 3/15/11:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11016.msg106153#msg106153

According to a quick Google search, daylight savings time started two days before I posted that thread in 2011, so unfortunately I can't say for sure if the issue of standard time obs being an hour off is also present when viewing the obs during standard time -- or, on the flip side, whether daylight savings time obs could potentially be an hour off when viewed during standard time.  Both the graphs and the tabular data on PWS are off by an hour. Interestingly, the new WU graphs are an hour off for standard time obs, but the tabular data are on the correct time.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:04:58 PM by NorthNJwx »

anything