Author Topic: 2016 WeatherBug "NWS Chat"  (Read 22540 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
2016 WeatherBug "NWS Chat"
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Hi everyone!

I wanted to briefly take a moment to outline our 2015 Roadmap, as well as get some feedback from you all about it.

1. We're in the process of re-building our Backyard Stations software from scratch on a more reliable, modern system. It's about ready. We're going to have a couple people test it before it goes live. Once it goes live, your Backyard Stations will display in WeatherBug 10 Desktop and WeatherBug Mobile apps.

Question: The new system will have the ability to do stuff such as historical archives, as well as we can start doing "something" with Solar/UV data. Please give me your feedback on how you want to see historical archives and Solar/UV data displayed across our various products and services.

2. We're also in the process at looking at ditching the Backyard Community being hosted on NING and moving to a hosted BuddyPress system. Doing so would allow us to develop a single sign on between the Backyard Community and Backyard Stations registration (and allow you to edit your own info), as well as we'd have 100% control over the entire engine. Question: What features on the Backyard Community would you like to see specifically rolled out during the new revamp, as well as what features do you want killed off? I'd like to be able to streamline it, trim the fluff, and develop a more functional social network community we can better manage. I also have access to web developers at the hosting provider who can help us custom-design some of the stuff we need to get done, so I now FINALLY have people that can help us get more done faster.

3. Question: How quickly do we need to implement in an ad-free desktop WeatherBug, allow for an ad-free experience across the board for those sending us data, and implement an ad-free WeatherBug.com? Our teams are asking where on our list of priorities to place this. Also, how quickly do we need to fully get a Mac version of our desktop app going? How many Mac users want this?

4. Question: How quickly after we roll out our new Backyard Stations software do we need to get Backyard Webcams implemented? We could get this slipped into the software shortly after rolling out the new system. When doing it, do we need to allow you to provide us with a URL to your camera, link to your camera's live stream, the ability to FTP images to us, or all three?

5. Another thing we're working on is a friend of mine is writing another weather station publishing app that'll be cross-platform, open-source, and easy to keep updated. He's asked me to personally design the UI. What features in the app do you want to see? What station models do you want it to support? In addition to WeatherBug, where else do you want it to publish to? This'll be a publishing app I'll have direct say so in its development. We'll still definitely continue to work with all the other software publishers and help them along, but it's just another app out there to help people get their data out there.

6. We talked about HA and WeatherBug in the past. I'd like to bring up the discussion again. What specifically do you want to see WeatherBug doing to assist with HA? While I can't spill the details, I can tell you we've got a LOT planned for HA and WeatherBug in 2015. Now's the time to tell us what you're wanting to see. The good news is there's more in the works than I could even believe.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and for hanging in there. I recently had to do what I had to do to ensure your voices were being heard. Rest assured, they've been heard, and for our many longstanding faults and we've been in for the past few years, something is FINALLY getting done about it all, and you, the end user, is going to benefit from it. Thank you for continuing to allow me the opportunity to represent you, the end user. I'm not going to sit here and say we don't have a boatload of issues that need addressing. We sure do. The good news those cries are no longer falling on deaf ears. The much long overdue action that has needed to be taken is being taken, and I look forward to a brighter future in 2015.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:02:43 PM by wxbugnathan »
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Re: Need Feedback for 2015 Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
One more thing. Just for a heads up, my WeatherBug email may be changing coming up. We're working on rolling a new support ticketing system as a way to reach us. My email has unfortunately become a target for spammers and viruses, and to ensure the safety of my network as well as ensuring the safety of communicating with you all, my email address will probably be changing coming up. I will let you know when this change occurs, as well as the direct link to the new support ticketing system so you can reach me.

This isn't to reduce the "personal" touch you get from support or anything like that. I'm just getting bombarded with 50+ junk emails a day, and as the problem continues to worsen, this is the only way to completely resolve it.
Nathan Parker

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
    • nincehelser.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
I haven't looked at weatherbug for years because of the ad issues.

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
Please trash silverlight and move to html5 :P
Seriously, I am a Linux/UNIX user and cant see or use your site.

----
Davis Vantage Vue|Meteohub 5.0l (Build 7293) Running on Debian 7.9 x86 (oVirt)|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
I haven't looked at weatherbug for years because of the ad issues.

I specifically told both my CTO that in our meeting this week, as well as I've also emailed it directly to our CEO. Here's specifically what I said:

"Ad-Free version of WeatherBug.com. While we need to run ads on WeatherBug.com to increase revenue, our ads have become excessively intrusive. I continue to receive complaints from users saying they won’t even visit WeatherBug.com to check their weather data since the ads are so intrusive that they fear they’re going to have a security vulnerability occur on their computer just from landing on our website. We need to tone down the intrusiveness of ads and never allow them to get in the way of the weather content, as well as offer an ad-free option for those sending us Backyard Station data, as well as those paying an annual subscription (tying in the same type of single sign on as I mentioned above with WeatherBug 10 would be great, as well as a single subscription and login that works across desktop, web, and mobile would be ideal)."

So basically I'm pushing for four things:

1. Tone down the ads so they're not intrusive.
2. If you send weather station data to us, your site is ad-free (exactly the way WU works)
3. If you don't have a weather station but still want an ad-free experience, you can pay to remove ads (exactly the way WU works)
4. This ad-free experience also travels to desktop and mobile apps with a single login.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

This is DEFINITELY happening in the next web revamp. Silverlight has been nothing but a bag of hurt that has been a nightmare for users, especially our own employees who run Linux as their primary work machines.

When the new WeatherBug.com launches, Silverlight will be gone. Additionally, when you type in a Zip Code for a weather station, it won't simply default to an Airport or EN station. It will pull the closest station to you, including Backyard Stations (and we're also working on ingesting in CWOP).
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:42:57 AM »

This is DEFINITELY happening in the next web revamp. Silverlight has been nothing but a bag of hurt that has been a nightmare for users, especially our own employees who run Linux as their primary work machines.

When the new WeatherBug.com launches, Silverlight will be gone. Additionally, when you type in a Zip Code for a weather station, it won't simply default to an Airport or EN station. It will pull the closest station to you, including Backyard Stations (and we're also working on ingesting in CWOP).

That is great news!
I upload data to weatherbug and I have never been able to enjoy my personalize site.
As previously posted adds is an issue and also note that the weatherbug backyard site is usually full of junk code.

Thanks for listening to the community!

----
Davis Vantage Vue|Meteohub 5.0l (Build 7293) Running on Debian 7.9 x86 (oVirt)|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
What I want the most out of Weatherbug is that the desktop app will let me view my own station. There are others nearby, but mine does not appear. I do upload and it shows on the website however.
3. Question: How quickly do we need to implement in an ad-free desktop WeatherBug, allow for an ad-free experience across the board for those sending us data, and implement an ad-free WeatherBug.com? Our teams are asking where on our list of priorities to place this. Also, how quickly do we need to fully get a Mac version of our desktop app going? How many Mac users want this?
I can tolerate an ad or two. Maybe this would be a good candidate for the "uploaders are ad-free" scheme.

5. Another thing we're working on is a friend of mine is writing another weather station publishing app that'll be cross-platform, open-source, and easy to keep updated. He's asked me to personally design the UI. What features in the app do you want to see? What station models do you want it to support? In addition to WeatherBug, where else do you want it to publish to? This'll be a publishing app I'll have direct say so in its development. We'll still definitely continue to work with all the other software publishers and help them along, but it's just another app out there to help people get their data out there.

I vote for Davis support, but I am sure that you want to support the "usual suspects" like AcuRite, OS, Rainwise, etc. Please allow/work with the meteohub/bridge team to allow support. (I use both, but upload via meteobridge)

We talked about HA and WeatherBug in the past.
Please to explain "HA"... :?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations 668, 706 - CWOP CW4114 -  CoCoRaHS MI-PI-1

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

That is great news!
I upload data to weatherbug and I have never been able to enjoy my personalize site.
As previously posted adds is an issue and also note that the weatherbug backyard site is usually full of junk code.

Thanks for listening to the community!

I've sent our teams my WU login and links to my station page. I'm showing them exactly how they're doing ad placement and ad-free experiences for PWS owners. Plus Historical Data and graphing. I've told them each of these has been high demands from our users and needs to get done.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »
What I want the most out of Weatherbug is that the desktop app will let me view my own station. There are others nearby, but mine does not appear. I do upload and it shows on the website however.
I can tolerate an ad or two. Maybe this would be a good candidate for the "uploaders are ad-free" scheme.

I vote for Davis support, but I am sure that you want to support the "usual suspects" like AcuRite, OS, Rainwise, etc. Please allow/work with the meteohub/bridge team to allow support. (I use both, but upload via meteobridge)

We talked about HA and WeatherBug in the past.
Please to explain "HA"... :?

Greg H.

Backyard in desktop is coming as soon as we deploy the new backend system. If you're running WeatherBug 10, it's already been updated to take advantage of the new system. We're testing the new system with a couple Backyard Station app developers to ensure it's up to their specs, then as soon as we're ready to deploy it (either end of this year or first of next year, depending on how fast we get out test results back), you'll pop up in desktop and mobile, plus we'll be unveiling a new login where you can FINALLY edit your own station data.

We'll probably do DAVIS support first since we have some DAVIS users having issues sending us their data and need a new app ASAP. Once it works, we can bake in all the others. WeatherBridge support sounds good too. One thing to note: This app won't be mandatory to send us data. If you have other good apps you're using now and wish to still use them, you're welcome to use them. We're not dropping support for any of the other guys. What this is, I personally have the opportunity to completely design a PWS app from the ground up and have a team code it and make it open source. It's going to be a LOT of fun, and it's a PWS app I personally can take your feedback from and work to have it implemented.

HA is Home Automation. We discussed it a while back, but I'm ready to discuss it more. We've got some stuff up our sleeves that's going to be fun, so now's the time to give me your feedback before we make our big HA announcements. That's all I can say for now. :-)
Nathan Parker

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
Hello, I am relatively new to this, and can tell you that the Weatherbug site in it's current implementation is horrible on iPads and other tablet computers.  Silverlight does not run at all except on desktop computers.

And I have all Mac hardware so a Mac application that would allow me to run graphs and summaries of my data on Weatherbug would be a must for me. 

I've not been able to get past these 2 issues to further investigate the benefit of posting my PWS data to Weatherbug. 

Also, integrating private stations in the Weatherbug IOS app is absolutely needed.  It is a shame that people can't select between the "official" stations and private stations.  Hope this makes sense, I'm not quite sure what the official stations are called.

Weather Underground looks like a much more seamless process end to end, however I really like Weatherbug on IOS iPad apps much better.

Thanks for asking for input!  I'll be staying tuned on upcoming improvements.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 setup.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:41 PM »
Hello, I am relatively new to this, and can tell you that the Weatherbug site in it's current implementation is horrible on iPads and other tablet computers.  Silverlight does not run at all except on desktop computers.

And I have all Mac hardware so a Mac application that would allow me to run graphs and summaries of my data on Weatherbug would be a must for me. 

I've not been able to get past these 2 issues to further investigate the benefit of posting my PWS data to Weatherbug. 

Also, integrating private stations in the Weatherbug IOS app is absolutely needed.  It is a shame that people can't select between the "official" stations and private stations.  Hope this makes sense, I'm not quite sure what the official stations are called.

Weather Underground looks like a much more seamless process end to end, however I really like Weatherbug on IOS iPad apps much better.

Thanks for asking for input!  I'll be staying tuned on upcoming improvements.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 setup.

Thanks for your feedback! Here's a few comments:

1. Silverlight will be gone in the new website refresh. As I mentioned above, it's a "bag of hurt" that's done nothing but frustrate users. It's getting the ax this year.
2. I'm a Mac user myself and really want a Mac app to view my data myself. I'll keep pushing for a Mac desktop app to happen. We should be able to port WB10 to Mac easily using Mono. Logos did it for their Biblical research software, and they have over a million lines of code in it. Our little app should be easy to bring over. :-)
3. Backyard Stations in iOS and other mobile apps will be happening in early 2015. The apps have already been updated to connect to our new Backyard Stations feed, and we've re-written the Backyard Stations software from the ground up that'll be more reliable, allow you to see your Backyard Stations in desktop and mobile, as well as allow YOU to login and make edits to your stations. We're testing the backend with a few publishing app developers now to ensure everything's ready to go before we deploy. As soon as we get the "green light" from them, the new system will be in place, all of your info migrated over, and you'll pop up in desktop and mobile. We're out to knock out each of these Backyard "pain points" in 2015.
5. I agree about WU. Their implementation is better, but I like our design better. If we can take our design and their implementation and smash them together, we have something.

A few more updates I want to tell the community:

1. BIG announcement coming in January a day or two before CES. It's setting a whole new direction for WeatherBug and something the industry isn't going to expect. We're going to knock the socks off the weather community, WU, you name it. It's the spark that's going to kick the Backyard Stations/Community integration into overdrive. I have my hands on a few Christmas presents I can't talk about yet. It was a Merry Christmas for me, but it's going to be a HAPPY new year for the weather community.
2. CoCoRaHS partnership is also coming this year. We're in talks with them about how to better promote CoCoRaHS on the Backyard Community. Some fruitful stuff going to happen this year with them.
3. Support is going to get even better and more streamlined. While I'm fast at answering support requests, how you can reach me for support is going to get easier and easier for me to manage.
4. I'm going to be featured on a live show in January to talk about the 2015 roadmap as well as take end user questions live on air. I'll send out announcements closer to the time it happens.

In 2015, our goal is threefold: 1. Eliminate end user "pain points" people are needing us to get done. 2. Work to knock out full integration with all of our end user's weather interests (CoCoRaHS, etc.), 3. Roll out some exciting new stuff I can't talk about just yet that is truly unbelievable.
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 12:43:44 AM »
WooHoo!!! Sounds interesting! :D

----

Offline sacreyweather

• Echo Valley Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Echo Valley Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
Hi Nathan,

Congrats on your major announcement at the AMS2015!!!  Announcement here.
CWOP: D2073, GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus, PWSweather,  CoCoRaHS: AR-SL-23  

Saline Weather on Twitter
Blitzortung Station 1387

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Hi Nathan,

That wasn't the announcement I was talking about, but thanks for letting me know about it! I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

Here's the BIG announcement I was talking about:

http://www.earthnetworks.com/MediaCenter/PressRelease/tabid/118/newsid513/667/-CONNECTIONS-at-CES-WeatherBug-Home-by-Earth-Networks--Presenting-on-Internet-of-Things/Default.aspx

And here's the official discussion page on the Backyard Community about it:

http://backyard.weatherbug.com/group/weatherbughome?xg_source=activity

I would also visit SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com, as that's two places we're teaming up with coming up. Those were the two top secret Christmas presents I got. :-)

I'll also chime back in here this week with a lot more details. It's been an insanely busy day, but I plan to tell more later.
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
Hi Nathan,

That wasn't the announcement I was talking about, but thanks for letting me know about it! I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

http://www.earthnetworks.com/MediaCenter/PressRelease/tabid/118/newsid513/667/-CONNECTIONS-at-CES-WeatherBug-Home-by-Earth-Networks--Presenting-on-Internet-of-Things/Default.aspx

I would also visit SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com, as that's two places we're teaming up with coming up. Those were the two top secret Christmas presents I got. :-)

I'll also chime back in here this week with a lot more details. It's been an insanely busy day, but I plan to tell more later.

Looks very interesting.
I signed up to your early list.
If you need beta tester count with me.

Regards.

----

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Are there more details on how it works? Will it be a WiFi thermostat, like a Honeywell? Does WeatherBug control it then?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations 668, 706 - CWOP CW4114 -  CoCoRaHS MI-PI-1

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
I'm running around nonstop right now, so I haven't been able to check in here enough and answer questions. I need to write a followup PR to send out here. I wanted to do that this week, but our marketing teams can't meet with me until next week. As soon as I can meet with them, I can finally writeup mine. :-) Here's a few details:

1. We're taking "WeatherBug Home" to a new level. We're doing more than just the smart thermostat stuff to really get into the whole "smart home" environment. We're teaming up with SmartThings.com where you can do stuff like install a smart home security system with indoor temp sensors, plus we'll be teaming up with the Netatmo Weather Station to pull in their feed, etc. Some of the details are still unclear to me, which is why I need to have another Skype call with our marketing teams. The Netatmo and the SmartThings kit were the two "top secret Christmas presents" I tested. We do have a WeatherBug Home group here on the Backyard Community you can join, and we'll be putting in more info there about the whole "Home" stuff.

2. The Backyard Community and Backyard Stations network is going to merge into the "WeatherBug Home" brand and replace the "Backyard" brand. We'll still keep our PWS network (and it'll get stronger under WeatherBug Home), and the majority of the features on the Backyard Community will remain on the new WeatherBug Home Community (blogging, groups, etc.). There'll be a few changes: 1. We'll be adding some new groups for "smart home discussions", 2. Backyard Photos is being phased out and replaced with WeatherBug Photos (so photos you upload will appear in our desktop and iOS apps), 3. The entire community engine is being re-written from the ground up under a new and more up-to-date engine. The entire community is going to get an overhaul and be simpler, easier to use, and function better.

3. The Backyard Stations backend has also been re-written from the ground up, and we're almost ready to deploy it. Once we do, your weather station will pop up in desktop and mobile, as well as we're going to re-design WeatherBug.com to make it easier to see your Backyard Station data. You'll also be able to login to a place somewhere and edit your station info yourself. All these little "pain points" are going to be eliminated. We're also working on a Single Sign On solution that'll allow you to access your weather station info and Backyard Community with one login, as well as take that login to desktop, mobile, and WeatherBug.com so station owners get ad-free data.

4. Your Backyard Station will be able to do more with the "WeatherBug Home" stuff and be able to do more with home automation. We're also going to do more with UV and solar data, etc. and use it with home automation.

5. We're also doing more with CoCoRaHS this year and the other weather interests of the community to better drive those. We'll be putting them up a group page, as well as gain access to their data.

Our goal this year is threefold:

1. Eliminate the various Backyard "pain points" people have. Some of those will be dropping soon, others will drop throughout the year. My goal is to hunt down the pain points and get rid of them.

2. Tackle the community's weather interests and keep the discussions flowing on them. Getting CoCoRaHS aboard, etc., will help.

3. As we merge the Backyard brand more into "WeatherBug Home", open new doors for people to do more with their weather stations (with home automation, etc.) then they've been able to before.

The best thing you can do right now is join the WeatherBug Home group on the Backyard Community (see: http://backyard.weatherbug.com/group/weatherbughome), as well as visit SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com to see an idea of what new stuff we're interfacing with. As soon as our marketing team and I meet, I'll draft up an announcement to send out in an email, as well as post more in the WeatherBug Home group.

Let m know if you have questions!
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »
Hi Nathan,

Looks very interesting.
I signed up to your early list.
If you need beta tester count with me.

Regards.

Will do. We'll be having a beta coming up. In the meantime, also visit SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com. We'll be interfacing with those as well in WeatherBug Home, so if you're interested in any of those items, check them out.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »
Are there more details on how it works? Will it be a WiFi thermostat, like a Honeywell? Does WeatherBug control it then?

Greg H.

We'll still be supporting the Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats, as well as we're working to support the Nest coming up and any other Wi-Fi thermostats we can support. It's also going to be more than that. We're teaming up with SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com for a couple partners, and we'll be supporting other smart devices as well. With SmartThings, we'll be supporting the home security with temp sensor stuff, moisture sensors, thermostats, power plugs, etc. I'm testing the window sensor and light plug right now. With Netatmo, we're looking to pull in their feed in addition to our existing PWS network.

We're also going to flat "do more" with home automation where you can use your PWS to automatically control your thermostat, etc. Pretty much "WeatherBug Home" is our way of taking our PWS network and connecting it to home automation in various different forms. Any suggestions for places to partner with, etc., we're all ears.
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »

Greg H.

We'll still be supporting the Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats, as well as we're working to support the Nest coming up and any other Wi-Fi thermostats we can support. It's also going to be more than that. We're teaming up with SmartThings.com and Netatmo.com for a couple partners, and we'll be supporting other smart devices as well. With SmartThings, we'll be supporting the home security with temp sensor stuff, moisture sensors, thermostats, power plugs, etc. I'm testing the window sensor and light plug right now. With Netatmo, we're looking to pull in their feed in addition to our existing PWS network.

We're also going to flat "do more" with home automation where you can use your PWS to automatically control your thermostat, etc. Pretty much "WeatherBug Home" is our way of taking our PWS network and connecting it to home automation in various different forms. Any suggestions for places to partner with, etc., we're all ears.

Look in to Vera formerly known as "Mi Casa Verde"
Nest user here. Count me in for testing :D

----

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

Greg H.

Can you send me a link to Vera? I'll pass it on.

Yeah, we have some Nest users who are wanting to join WBH but refuse to give up the Nest. So I told our teams do everything you can to support it. We're working hard to support it coming up. I'm thinking of getting a Nest myself. What do you think of it?
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »

Greg H.

Yeah, we have some Nest users who are wanting to join WBH but refuse to give up the Nest. So I told our teams do everything you can to support it. We're working hard to support it coming up. I'm thinking of getting a Nest myself. What do you think of it?

Sure... Here it is:

http://getvera.com/

I love my Nest and I wish I could do more with it.
You guys are in the right road... I been wanting something to like this for a loooong time!
I been wanting my thermostat to tide up to my weather station... Just awesome...

Idea.... Sprinkler system! They are out there btu they use a weather service like NOAA and or WU not your weather station.

Just genius. :D

----

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »

Greg H.

Sure... Here it is:

http://getvera.com/

I love my Nest and I wish I could do more with it.
You guys are in the right road... I been wanting something to like this for a loooong time!
I been wanting my thermostat to tide up to my weather station... Just awesome...

Idea.... Sprinkler system! They are out there btu they use a weather service like NOAA and or WU not your weather station.

Just genius. :D

Thanks for the link. I'll pass it on.

Sounds good about the Nest. I'll try to get one.

HA has been a HUGE request that we do, so I'm glad we're officially getting on board. It's also sparking getting our PWS stuff going more, which is another huge plus.

Sprinkler systems are on the agenda. I was riding by a place one day that had their sprinklers going full blast in the pouring down rain. I thought it was crazy. I went back and told our teams that we need to find a way to use the rain data on our network on when the best time is to fire the sprinklers. It's something we'll be focusing on after we iron out SmartThings and thermostats.

We're also going to get access to CoCoRaHS data (whether we display it or not) so it'll be a feed of data we can at least ingest in and use for stuff for even more accuracy.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
When we revamp our Support Contact Form system for Backyard coming up, we're looking at ZenDesk or UserVoice as an option.

With UserVoice, we'd have the option to setup something like this:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6

It's basically a site where our user base can login, post suggestions and feedback for us, and vote on your favorite ones. Our teams would have direct access to this page and be able to see everything posted. We can also transparently keep you updated on the progress of your feedback by marking stuff we start and complete. I've seen it in action with the company above, and it's been successful.

If we decided to roll out something like this, would you like it and use it? Do you feel if we implemented this and had our teams read it and keep in better contact with our users on it with the progress on implementing your feedback, do you think it would improve the way we're communicating with our user base?
Nathan Parker