Author Topic: "Spark" - Weatherbug Lightning  (Read 3837 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
"Spark" - Weatherbug Lightning
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »
I finally decided to sign up for Weatherbug.

I am running the software and noticed the "Spark" program and activated it. It is showing a map and "closest strike" in the corner.

Anyone know what network they use? I think that lightning detectors are part of their system, if I remember correctly.

"Spark". All I can think is that "them's mighty big sparks you got there..." :shock:.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations 668, 706 - CWOP CW4114 -  CoCoRaHS MI-PI-1

Offline sacreyweather

• Echo Valley Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Echo Valley Weather
Re: "Spark" - Weatherbug Lightning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Hi Greg,

I "think" their lightning detection network is called the "Total Lightning Network". I believe it is separate from the Viasala/USLDN network. One of the members here (derek008???) was a programmer on it. Derek was a moderator of the old GRLevelxstuff.com before it went down.  Outside of that, I do not know anything else about it.

John
CWOP: D2073, GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus, PWSweather,  CoCoRaHS: AR-SL-23  

Saline Weather on Twitter
Blitzortung Station 1387

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
Spark is powered by our own lightning network known as the Earth Networks Total Lightning Network. We developed and released our own sensors for it. It surpassed NAPLN and can detect both IC and CG lightning.

More details here:

http://www.earthnetworks.com/OurNetworks/LightningNetwork.aspx

It's also the default lightning feed used in AllisonHouse's feed now.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:25 PM »
Must be lower 48 thing as Spark says not available for your area. Nathan it seems that we very thing your group develops is just for the lower 48. I have yet to see anything come out the works here in Alaska.  Guess in weather related products we are the best are step child. By the way in your weather program I get forecast foe area 222 not area 223.  This is on my mobile cell. I removed weather bug from computer as it always gave me wx in logging camp 100 miles away.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:35:55 PM »
Must be lower 48 thing as Spark says not available for your area. Nathan it seems that we very thing your group develops is just for the lower 48. I have yet to see anything come out the works here in Alaska.  Guess in weather related products we are the best are step child. By the way in your weather program I get forecast foe area 222 not area 223.  This is on my mobile cell. I removed weather bug from computer as it always gave me wx in logging camp 100 miles away.

Send me a message here:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=26247.0

Include screenshots of Spark and the closest weather station to your area, as well as your current location.

You can get some screenshots for Spark and the weather station at M.WeatherBug.com. That's going to become our new WeatherBug.com coming up. It's in a test period right now. It's not displaying PWS yet since it's connected to our new feed and we still need to switch on the new PWS system (which is why we're not launching it full fledged yet since we want PWS functional before we do).

I can show your feedback to my teams about the gaps in lightning coverage in Alaska so we can deploy more sensors up there, as well as the gaps in weather station coverage up there so we can both deploy more weather stations and assist with getting PWS operator's data flowing into us and being displayed across the board. If you own a PWS, you can send the data to us, and it'll appear on the "old" WeatherBug.com right now, and coming soon will finally display in our mobile apps and the new WeatherBug.com once we launch the new PWS system.

We're also going to ingest in CWOP so not sure how good the CWOP coverage is up there, but it may help as well.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

anything