Author Topic: Weather or News Channel?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
Weather or News Channel?
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:36:08 AM »
In saying what I am about to say I am by no means demeaning these news stories because they are tragic or near tragic, and indeed deserve to be talked about on the Cable News Network, Fox News, or other outlets that cover headline news.

However, I am still trying to figure out how it is breaking news for the Weather Channel if a plane crashes, a person is bit by a shark, or a little boy is is buried in sand? These are stories that are worthy of headline news, but have little to nothing to do with weather, but each one was covered as breaking news this evening by the Weather Channel.

In fact a plane crash report superseded that of severe weather in Tennessee and Florida with the plane crash being covered at the top of the 7pm central hour before any mention of the potential for severe weather in the country.

Why is this on TWC? Why can people not tune into the CNN or Fox to get this type of information and let the Weather Channel cover weather headlines (like it is supposed to do?)

Any comments?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Weather or News Channel?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:05:36 AM »
Why is this on TWC?

Same reason Al Roker is getting a morning show on TWC.  They're now owned by NBC.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
Why is this on TWC? Why can people not tune into the CNN or Fox to get this type of information and let the Weather Channel cover weather headlines (like it is supposed to do?)

Any comments?

Once upon a time MTV played music, Headline News showed the news, and The Weather Channel showed the weather.   :shock:  Not anymore. :cry:

Headline News is now HLN (because they're more entertainment and opinion oriented now) and The Weather Channel shows It Could Happen Tomorrow or When Weather Changed History, or some such crap instead of the weather.   ](*,)  They might as well show sharks or plane crashes.   :evil:

If you want to know the news or weather, you have to go to the internet now, I suppose.   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »

Any comments?

Once upon a time MTV played music, Headline News showed the news, and The Weather Channel showed the weather.   :shock:  Not anymore. :cry:

Headline News is now HLN (because they're more entertainment and opinion oriented now) and The Weather Channel shows It Could Happen Tomorrow or When Weather Changed History, or some such crap instead of the weather.   ](*,)  They might as well show sharks or plane crashes.   :evil:

If you want to know the news or weather, you have to go to the internet now, I suppose.   :-k

AMEN, brother Slow Modem, AMEN.  :cool:
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
Man, you're really showing your age if you can remember MTV playing music! :lol:

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »
How about Sci-Fi (now SyFy) Channel televising wrestling ?

If you want to know the news or weather, you have to go to the internet now, I suppose.

That is why we are here and do what we do !

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »

If you want to know the news or weather, you have to go to the internet now, I suppose.

Yeah know what you mean.  I was just complaining to the wife last night about the "NEW" programming change on the Sci-Fi Channel.  I guess next we will the actors of Star Trek "battle it out" with the cast of Battlestar Galactica.  Sort of like that stupid and corny animated fight/wrestling crap that MTV showed awhile back with claymation figures.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:17:20 AM »

Part of the dumbing down of America.  I think the change in programming is one of the reasons they changed it, but I think the biggest reason is that kids today can't spell science.  (at least they won't be blinded by it!)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
   You all have hit the nail square on the head!  TV has never been worse than it is today and now we get to watch it in HD.  :-( :-& :-&

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
You know it's getting bad when you are surfing the channels and you are excited because you came across an episode of Little House on the Prairie or The Waltons.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »
LOL! Sam you're right.... It is really sad at the crap on TV. The only way it's going away is when people stop watching/supporting it...

I never watch the major networks. No MTV, VH1 music crap....... I watch the old,old movie classics, sports channels, discovery, history channels.....

And oh yea, i don't watch TWC since i have my own site and look at other websites, etc.

Jim

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
People, its all economics. You go where the money is. If the Sci-Fi channel is showing wrestling it's because there is more money in it then showing a re run of Star Trek.
I agree with Jim in that there only a few I watch all the time.
NFL
Science
History
Outdoors
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »
There is one saving grace in the midwest....WGN in Chicago that plays one night a week Retro Night. You get to watch:
The Cosby Show, ALF, WKRP in Cincinnati, Newhart, Barney Miller, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and The Honeymooners. 

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
^^^^ PFfffttt ^^^ ALF :-P

Remember when HBO was mostly if not all movies?  Now it talk show crap.  I hate talk show that have people talking about nothing.

That and infomercials.  It really grinds me to have all this "pay TV" and then at night, there's nothing else on except some way-overexcited chowder head going over and over about a single product.

If you can't sell a product in a 30 second or 1 minute ad spot, you're wasting everyones time.

Good thing there's DVD's...
And WXForum.net
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
   I like WGN too!!  Another is RTN.  They have stuff like Adam-12, Dragnet, Night Gallery,
Alfred Hitchcock, Mission Impossible, and, It Takes A Thief! =D>  Love the old stuff.
I got so tired of the Sci-Fi Channel that I started buying old Science-fiction movies like
"Destination Moon", "Invaders From Mars", "Angry Red Planet" and all of those old cheesie (I should know better than to bring up cheese here) movies like that.  8-) ;) 
         Mark

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
I remember when MTV first aired.  As a matter of fact, I remember it before it aired. Just a "Coming soon" screen showed on that channel.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
It's all about ratings!  :roll:
Executive producers sit in meetings and come up with these things.  #-o
"I know..." one of them says, "let's open up the severe storm segment with a brief cooking recipe one can whip up without electricity...of course due to the storm power outage.  Yeah!  That's the ticket...let Jim Cantore whip up some pasta over an outdoor flame!"

Needless to say...it's all about entertainment.
And what heterosexual male objects to watching Stephanie Abrams?
 :grin:
Oh, for that matter, what female ... nah, I'm not going there! :lol:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »

She may be OK with the sound off, but she's a total ditz bubblehead that stumbles and stammers her way through a segment.

Heather Tesch, Nicole Mitchell and Alexandra Steele are much more watchable.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:30:48 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
There is one saving grace in the midwest....WGN in Chicago that plays one night a week Retro Night. You get to watch:
The Cosby Show, ALF, WKRP in Cincinnati, Newhart, Barney Miller, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and The Honeymooners. 

Quite right!  Quality shows back when actors acted and computer generated graphics were a dream.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
Having read this thread I turned on TWC for the first time in more than a decade.  Now I remember why I switched channels so long ago.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:29 PM »
.... I think the change in programming is one of the reasons they changed it, but I think the biggest reason is that kids today can't spell science.  (at least they won't be blinded by it!)

Another flashback just hit me brain..   :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IlHgbOWj4o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline jebner

• Stark County Weather
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
Reading this thread reminds me of something a guy told me about 3 years ago. He stated that TWC, CNN, MSNBC, etc. weren't in business to give you the news - they're in business to sell. The more dramatic they can make a story, the more people will want to watch just to satisfy their curiousity.

He was right. Just watch TWC for 15 minutes. If you didn't take all the drama with a grain of salt, you would think we're all gonna die today. Talk about over-inflation. Sheeze!
Joe
Stark County Weather
www.starkcountyweather.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »

She may be OK with the sound off, but she's a total ditz bubblehead that stumbles and stammers her way through a segment.

Heather Tesch, Nicole Mitchell and Alexandra Steele are much more watchable.

I heartily disagree with that statement.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
I agree with Ocala to disagree .. :lol:

Stephanie knows her stuff. Read her credentials.......More than any/if not all of us have.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:35 PM »

SyFy??   :roll:

anything