Weather Station Hardware > Hydreon RG-11 Optical Rain Gauge/Sensor

Got my sensor today

(1/4) > >>

jerryg:
I got my sensor in today and got it powered up and tested in tipping bucket mode. I have it mounted on top of my stevenson screen and looking forward to comparing rain fall to my cocorah gauge. We have several days of rain forecast so should get a good chance to compare and i will post results here when i get enough comparisons.

jerryg:
Well i got an hour of slow rain so far and i am comparing it to my eight inch rainwise, six inch commercial, and my davis vp2 gauges. All my gauges showed .06 inches of rain and the rg showed the same.  =D> now to see what it does with some heavier rains due in tomorrow. to be continued.

jerryg:
Got a heavy rain this am and compared the readings. The commercial gauge and the cocorahs got .41, the Davis showed .39, the rainwise showed .38 but the rg 11 only showed .28  :-(  :-(  So the first results look like the rg is good on slow rainfall but doesnt handle heavy rain very well. Got some more rain forecast the next few days and will get some more results.

jerryg:
Well got the promised rain and the results for the slow rain are the same as before with all gauges showing within .01 of each other then a few minutes ago got a real downpour and my main gauge showed .72inches which means got .54inch of rain in about 15 minutes. The rg showed .83 which is .11higher this time. I do not know why the last heavy rain was less, the only difference was the first heavy rain was at night and this one was in daylight. I do not know if than can make a difference with heavy rain, maybe it senses heavy rain better in daylight.  :?: Well got more rain forecast for end of week will keep looking lol.

jerryg:
I need to correct the reading from yesterday i compared the reading to my tipping bucket instead of the cocorah gauge and my tb gauge reads slightly low with heavy rainfall. The cocorah had .79 inches and the rg was .87 so only .08 high in heavy rainfall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version