Author Topic: spotter network and wx tap  (Read 2650 times)

Offline afwxguy

spotter network and wx tap
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:25:30 AM »
ok so last spring i took the weather spotter test so I can "spot".  I logged in a few times this summer when I thought there may have been severe wx at my location.. but it never happened...  thx for upping the hail to 3/4....  anyway until now i have had no need to submit a severe wx report..  this last week there i finally tried to submit a report... when i went to submit... it said that i had to call the nws and have them submit... it wouldn't let me directly post....  i was kind of bummed...  any idea if i can get my report straight "out there"?  what's the deal and how does the reporting process work...

Offline Shawn

Re: spotter network and wx tap
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:53:34 AM »
When you became a certified Skywarn storm spotter, you should have gotten a phone number to call to report severe weather. Calling them is one of the best methods to report and event. There is also http://espotter.weather.gov/ which is an online report system. Though it is not an official Skywarn website, an alternative service is http://spotternetwork.org/. Some NWS WFOs are also integrating social networks like Facebook and Twitter into their reporting systems as well.

Offline afwxguy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
the spotternetwork.org site is where i did my "training"   that's the place that wouldn't let me post....

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:16 AM »
the spotternetwork.org site is where i did my "training"   that's the place that wouldn't let me post....

I was a member there and they said the same thing. I find it better (for my part anyway) to use either a direct line to the NWS WFO or submit a report on the WFO's website.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
Spotter Network will report directly to the SN server so reports can be seen by SN users.  Upon reporting, it also tries to send the report to the NWS, but not all offices are equipped to receive data that way.  Most offices either will have E-Spotter online or just another version of online reporting available. If not, the easiest way is to call your NWS directly and speak to the forecaster in charge.

For those offices that do have either E-Spotter or regular online reporting active, your report will pop up on the forecaster's screen almost immediately.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

anything