Author Topic: Question about lightning issue.  (Read 5220 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Question about lightning issue.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
Mirwin275,

That range figure assumes ground wave propagation. If ionospheric bouncing (sky wave) is taking place, all bets are off. Signals originating from quite far away can seem like they come from across town.Turn on your AM car radio some night and tune around. You will very likely find that you can hear signals from far, far away.
AM super stations.
No idea if it still applies, but back in the day they where called "clear channel stations", which meant they broadcasted at the FCC maximum of 50,000 watts, and was the only station on that frequency in North America.

Offline John Z

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »
My youthful home town was Detroit, and I lived in the Philly/ NYC area for a number of years. From here in Kentucky, I sometimes let AM radio nostalgia rule over me, and listen in to stations from those places. When I hear static lightning crashes on the radio, I will often go to Blitzortung to figure out where they may be coming from, correlating with the radio station propagation at the time.

Clear Channel stations are the easiest to hear, obviously, but a surprising number of smaller, lower power stations skip in from time to time as well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:58:20 PM by John Z »

Offline radioman61

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
I guess the whole Atlas has to go back?  Mine registers a few occasional false strikes on clear breezy days...I'm not even sure it's an issue with the Alas.  I'd really hate to go through the hassle of sending it in for nothing.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »
Yes, they need to do the fix.

It took four units for me up and running without any issues... very time consuming to deal with. I am concerned about how things will be once they are out of warranty.

With it being snow season now, I noticed the snow plows will cause a false strike but I can understand that.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »
I guess the whole Atlas has to go back?  Mine registers a few occasional false strikes on clear breezy days...I'm not even sure it's an issue with the Alas.  I'd really hate to go through the hassle of sending it in for nothing.

That doesn't sound like the problem they are fixing.  Those that have the problem it is pretty obvious, generally racking up hundreds of "strikes" in a short period of time.

In any case, the AS3935 isn't perfect.  Man-made "disturbers" may still get through occasionally.  It will vary depending on your location and what's going on around you.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Mine went from the 1000s to 100s and then just a few with the cooler days in the fall. The "fix" solved all of that.

I would think the vibrations from the heavy plow cause the one I receive now and understandable.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
Mine went from the 1000s to 100s and then just a few with the cooler days in the fall. The "fix" solved all of that.

I would think the vibrations from the heavy plow cause the one I receive now and understandable.

The AS3935 doesn't work by vibration.  It works by analyzing radio signals around 500KHz.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqwmbk9I8fo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:03:00 PM by nincehelser »

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »
Why do you think a plow would cause a false strike then...it will register one when it is plowing but not just going down the road. My tractor plow will not set it off either....
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
Why do you think a plow would cause a false strike then...it will register one when it is plowing but not just going down the road. My tractor plow will not set it off either....

Grinding of the snow blade against certain types of rocks (e.g. quartz) might do it.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »
Also could be the electric motor that actuates the plow.

Offline John Z

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »
Dissimilar materials scraping or rubbing against one another will cause a transfer and build up of static charge, often leading to a discharge event. This transfer is called tribocharging.

Long ago, fuel tanker trucks had a steel chain that they dragged along the roadway. The idea was to provide a continuous discharge of static electricity to the earth via the chain and prevent a big spark and an explosion. Static would build up on the tanker truck body just because rubber tires were rubbing the road. The chains disappeared when all tires were made to be slightly conductive (excess carbon), so as to thwart tribocharging.

Another source of static radio noise from gas powered vehicles comes from spark plugs and the wires that connect to them. When car radios first appeared, they were almost useless because of spark plugs and their noise. This problem was solved by making spark plugs wires fairly resistive. That softened the sharp crack of the spark and mitigated the noise. Not all engines are so equipped, however. I can't use my portable lightning detector on my boat, for example, because my Merc outboard makes too much noise.

My portable lightning detector works fine on my car, though...except when the automatic transmission changes gears. That's when an electric solenoid is activated, making a sharp crack that can be picked up a couple of car lengths away.

So there are many ways a vehicle might trip up a lightning detector. BTW, the frequency that the AMS chip listens on is 0.5 MHz, or 500 KHz.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:40:10 PM by John Z »

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »

Grinding of the snow blade against certain types of rocks (e.g. quartz) might do it.

Hello, you seem to know a lot of the questions asked here, do you know if acurite or any other brand is going to have a snow gauge in their weather stations or is measuring snow tough to do because of blowing snow?

Offline jdrews

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 07:32:20 PM »
Uhg, really? they know about the issue and are still shipping defective units?  I just ordered one direct from acurite 2 weeks ago. Installed this past week and on Friday it started reporting 1000's of strikes per day. First couple days I didn't see any false strikes. We did have storms in the area, and it recorded 181 over the storm period. But the next day from 2pm - 5pm it recorded hundreds of strikes every 5 min period. Saturday had strikes reported from 8am-5pm (7200 of them), and today 8am-noon, and another smaller round between 2pm-5pm.

Sent in support request on Saturday. *sigh*

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
Uhg, really? they know about the issue and are still shipping defective units?  I just ordered one direct from acurite 2 weeks ago. Installed this past week and on Friday it started reporting 1000's of strikes per day. First couple days I didn't see any false strikes. We did have storms in the area, and it recorded 181 over the storm period. But the next day from 2pm - 5pm it recorded hundreds of strikes every 5 min period. Saturday had strikes reported from 8am-5pm (7200 of them), and today 8am-noon, and another smaller round between 2pm-5pm.

Have you considered you might have something in your environment creating false strikes?  A noisy motor or other electrical device for example?

If it's the problems others were having, it would always occur when the unit is in sunlight so it is driving the aspiration fan.

Offline jdrews

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »

Have you considered you might have something in your environment creating false strikes?  A noisy motor or other electrical device for example?

If it's the problems others were having, it would always occur when the unit is in sunlight so it is driving the aspiration fan.

Yeah, so far only when the sun is out is it reporting the false strikes.

Offline JonEricG

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 10:56:26 PM »

Hello, you seem to know a lot of the questions asked here, do you know if acurite or any other brand is going to have a snow gauge in their weather stations or is measuring snow tough to do because of blowing snow?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 12:33:02 AM »

Not that I'm aware of.  Blowing snow does present a problem for measurement.  I suggest you read the CoCoRaHS documentation for measuring snow: https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=snow

Offline radioman61

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
My false lightning counts were sporadic and only happened on sunny days with a breeze.  I honestly didn't think it was the fan issue but many of the other possible causes mentioned would happen at night just as easily as during the day.  To make a long story short, I have a 9.5kw solar panel system on the roof and
recently had a failed SolarEdge optimizer replaced under warranty.  My false lightning issue seems to have cleared up.

Offline jdrews

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Well, mine went in to the company for a fix. They just shipped it back today, so hopefully in a few days I'll know if the issue is fixed.

Offline jdrews

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2019, 10:22:50 AM »
Figured I would give an update.  The repaired station was out for a number of days, no false detections. On my way home from work Wednesday, I could see lightening off in the distance. Great, now to see if it is working. Nope, nothing getting reported. Figured maybe the module came loose in return shipping, I went and took it out and put it back in. OK, that's better, it started alerting there was lightening. But oddly, it was ALWAYS 1 mile away. Storm passed through, the atlas recorded 1 to 7 strikes every 5 min.

Next morning when I awoke, the display was still alerting (oh dear) despite clear skies. Looked at the myacurite site, and it had recorded 1 to 7 strikes every 5 minutes and still going. Grrr...

Went out, pulled the module, and pulled the batteries from the atlas. Waited a bit. Put the detection module back in, put the batteries back in.  Shortly after the display (and access gateway) recorded a burst of detections, but since then, it has been silent (no false detections).

I'm now back in the waiting game for a lightening strike to verify it is working. Last nights rain didn't produce anything (was using https://www.iweathernet.com/lightning/latest-lightning-strikes-on-google-maps to watch for anything within 25+ miles of my house)

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 06:34:03 PM »
Just an update. Since my Atlas lightning issue was fixed several months ago, I still can say the lightning detector is working well. I just had some storms roll through nearby, but never actually made it to my house. I recorded 44 strikes and the closest one was 7 miles away. I compared it to the Blitzortung lightning app and my lightning strikes were very representative of what was going on in the area. I live in a small neighborhood of town homes.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:36:03 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline radioman61

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
I spoke too soon... still getting false lightning reports.  I wish there was a sensitivity adjustment on the thing...

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »
My false lightning reports have stopped for some time now...it took four Atlas sensors to get the lightning and UV correct. The fixed lightning sensor peaked at 2 for the UV so I had to use the working UV but back lightning sensor to create a working one.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline jdrews

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
It does appear that after sending it back for the "fix" (and doing yet one more pull batteries, pull detector, insert detector firmly, return batteries) it is working. We had storms in the area yesterday, and it was reporting strikes (and distances other than 1 mile). It roughly matched what I was seeing on the "live" map on iWeather.

Offline don482005

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:21 PM »
i had the same problem they sent me a new one and told me to put the old one in the garbage but i complained that i paid somebody to put mine up want a new one sent to me so the man could take it down and put the new one up at the same time and save money so i got a new one and spare parts now

anything