Author Topic: Considered the Atlas for storm chasing  (Read 804 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Considered the Atlas for storm chasing
« on: October 20, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
Howdy! I'm going to spend next week working on my stationary weather station (a modified Davis) and then I'm going to start focusing on putting together a "Mesomount" type setup equipt with cameras, radio antennas, and the weather station.

Right now I'm considering the new Acu-rite Atlas but I'm thinking it's still in its "debugging" phase based on reviews and what I've read here. Aside from that, I like the all-in-one design for storm chasing. I also like the inclusion of the light and UV as well as the lightning which I've heard produces false lightning strikes. I also like the touchscreen interface and the option to store data on an SD card.

Now I do have some questions, are replacement parts available? Like wind cups, vanes, rain gauge tippers, etc?

Has Acu-rite's customer support improved? The last time I really had Acu-rite products was about 5 years ago and I wasn't happy with their support. Does anyone know if the false lightning strike problem is in the actual insert that installs near the batteries or is it inside the main sensor itself?

So far I like what the kit has to offer. Since this is for storm chasing I have no use for the Access so the base kit for 174.14$ is perfect. I eventually plan on adding the lightning later.

I'd also appreciate pictures of the sensor and display as well as pictures of the different screens on the display especially the graphing and logging.

Thanks.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Considered the Atlas for storm chasing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline yankeesdood16

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
I personally have noticed the false lightning strikes only occuring when the aspirating fan(for the temp) is running- interference from the fan motor.  Other than that everyseems to have been running great since I got the atlas right after it came out.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Cool. The Atlas seems like a great unit for storm chasing. I know as with all new products it takes time to get everything ironed out.

So I have another question regarding international logging of data, I know the display has an SD slot for storing data but what kind of logging/graphing is available on the display? Are there any photos of the different screen modes? I'm assuming the display graphs everything including lightning?

Thanks.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
A little update in case anyone is interested since I'm guessing very few here use their Acu-rite for storm chasing. Yesterday my Acu-rite Atlas got to experience its first storm chase. Although we didn't get any of the tornadoes, the Atlas did record a 95 mph gust from us driving against the wind and it took that well! I had it mounted on a steel frame and post on top of the vehicle.

I was successfully able to record data on an SD card and later load it onto my laptop for analysis. So far I love this weather station. Looking forward to adding lightning. Hopefully the false strike issue will be resolved.

I am a storm chaser.