Author Topic: Atlas Questions  (Read 790 times)

Offline PSL

Atlas Questions
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
I'd like to replace my nearly 4 year old 5-in-1 with the new Atlas. However, I'm somewhat hesitant to do so and leaning towards Ambient's WS-2000 after reading about problems folks are having with the Atlas, such as the false lightning strikes, diminished signal range, and outdoor temps still reporting higher than surrounding stations. I could live without the lightning detector if need be, but the signal range and the temp issues are of considerable concern to me.

It seems like Acurite has been suggesting changing batteries, replacing the lightning detector, moving the Access closer as a solution. Have these solutions really solved any of the problems?  Do these issues still exist?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Atlas Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:00:32 AM »
I’ve had my Atlas for 2 ½ weeks. I do not have the lightning issues or signal problems. My Atlas is about 50ft from the Access & HD Display.

The weather here has been over cast/rainy drizzly for most of time since my Atlas was installed, so I do not have a solid opinion for direct sunlight. I find the overcast days and night time temperatures to be spot on. The temps in direct sunlight however seem to be 1-2 degrees higher with the limited amount of direct sunlight that I’ve had.

I have a 5-N-1 mounted on the same pole as the Atlas and the 5-N-1 seems to report cooler at night, and warmer during sunlight than the Atlas. I feel the Atlas is more accurate than the 5-N-1, but I’m undecided about the direct sunlight until I have more readings and observations.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
I've been running beta units in two states for over a year and have had no problems.

I recently switched them both out to production units and still do not have issues.

Offline PSL

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »
I’ve had my Atlas for 2 ½ weeks. I do not have the lightning issues or signal problems. My Atlas is about 50ft from the Access & HD Display.

The weather here has been over cast/rainy drizzly for most of time since my Atlas was installed, so I do not have a solid opinion for direct sunlight. I find the overcast days and night time temperatures to be spot on. The temps in direct sunlight however seem to be 1-2 degrees higher with the limited amount of direct sunlight that I’ve had.

I have a 5-N-1 mounted on the same pole as the Atlas and the 5-N-1 seems to report cooler at night, and warmer during sunlight than the Atlas. I feel the Atlas is more accurate than the 5-N-1, but I’m undecided about the direct sunlight until I have more readings and observations.

Thank you for your comments. In my case using the 5-in-1, the display is about 20 feet from the sensor and the access is in my basement, one floor lower and perhaps 40 feet from the sensor. The plan is to mount the Atlas in the same spot as the 5-in-1.  I have had zero connection problems with this arrangement so I'm hoping the same would hold true for the Atlas. Good to hear that you've had no lightning issues.

Offline PSL

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
I've been running beta units in two states for over a year and have had no problems.

I recently switched them both out to production units and still do not have issues.

Glad to hear that and thank you for your comments.

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
I like my Atlas. I haven't had any issues with the Atlas itself, just with the external battery pack but they sent me a new one and all is good now.

People usually don't report good things on forums, just problems and looking for help. So you have to keep that in perspective. While some have reported problems, there are many more people out there that are happy and never report that.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline PSL

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
I like my Atlas. I haven't had any issues with the Atlas itself, just with the external battery pack but they sent me a new one and all is good now.

People usually don't report good things on forums, just problems and looking for help. So you have to keep that in perspective. While some have reported problems, there are many more people out there that are happy and never report that.

Thanks. Agreed that people don't generally report positive things on the forums. Just from the few responses I've received, I am beginning to rethink this and perhaps give the Atlas a chance.

i do like the idea of the external battery pack as well as the ability to use the AC adapter vs. batteries for the sensor. Besides, I already have a proper working Access so that saves a bit of money if I do stick with Acurite.