Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 dew point changing with temperature  (Read 401 times)

Offline DaveD44

Vantage Pro 2 dew point changing with temperature
« on: October 03, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »
My Vantage Pro 2 dew point goes up with the temperature for the first few hours of daylight and goes down with the temperature for the first couple hours in the evening. I have attached a couple screen shots of the WU temperature/dew point chart. The first is kind of extreme but shows clearly what the problem is and the second is more of what I normally see. I've seen a description of this somewhere but can't find it again, and I believe that there is even a term for this anomaly. If a description does exist, please point me to it.

The outside unit is located in an area in the back yard a foot or so off of the lawn over light leaf litter, and is about four feet off the ground. The temperature/humidity sensor area under the unit is clean. We've had a very humid year here on the east coast, but what I am seeing is fairly normal for my weather station. I also have a watering system for the lawn, so I expect that in a calm environment the humidity would be a bit higher at the station when and for some time after the lawn is being watered. But I believe that this is a bit unusual.

Thanks in advance for any comments and ideas about how to make this report more normally.         

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:49:41 PM by DaveD44 »
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless) CumulusMX

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: Vantage Pro 2 dew point changing with temperature
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
Do you have other data that shows that this is inaccurate?
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
Recreate those graphs to include humidty and you will see what is happeneing.  Think "dry air entrainment”
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:46:22 AM »
Looks normal to me. Probably radiational cooling at night with some cold air drainage there in WV. Eventually you mix out during the day and then rinse-repeat beginning around sunset.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
The other parameter you need to take into account is Outside Humidity. The formula used is available on the Davis website, see Application Note 28.