Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Buying new Davis Pro2 Plus - do I need the fan (6163 vs 6162)

(1/3) > >>

Kipa:
Hi all.  Great forum.  I've learned a lot by reading through the threads here.  One question I can't find much on is how to make a decision on whether I need to get a fan or not.  Weather station is for the Seattle area.  Temperatures are mild compared to most of you, although it will be in full sun 100% of the time.  It seems to be a failure-prone part, and I could save myself $ and maint. hassle by skipping it, if accuracy won't take too much of a hit.  Any opinions?

Kipa

CW2274:

--- Quote from: Kipa on July 13, 2018, 05:31:33 PM --- One question I can't find much on is how to make a decision on whether I need to get a fan or not. 
Kipa

--- End quote ---
Howdy. Need too? No. However if you want greater accuracy during light or no wind conditions, a fan is a must. Davis themselves quote as much as a 4F difference between aspirated and passive in calm wind.

galfert:
Since you are in Seattle the number of hot sunny with no wind days are probably few. Your call how accurate you want it to be those 3 days of the year when there is no wind in Seattle and it is hot and sunny.

Now if you get the one without FARS and you mount the ISS on the roof then you are asking for trouble. Shouldn't be on the roof even with a FARS but if that was your only mounting option then you need the FARS.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: galfert on July 13, 2018, 09:38:54 PM ---Now if you get the one without FARS and you mount the ISS on the roof then you are asking for trouble. Shouldn't be on the roof even with a FARS but if that was your only mounting option then you need the FARS.

--- End quote ---
Not sure where the roof came into play, but you're right about it being a bad siting place, in most cases. However, be certain of one thing, FARS will do nothing to correct a bad siting, roof or otherwise. All a FARS will do is show the error of the siting faster and more accurately. 

dport:

--- Quote from: Kipa on July 13, 2018, 05:31:33 PM ---Hi all.  Great forum.  I've learned a lot by reading through the threads here.  One question I can't find much on is how to make a decision on whether I need to get a fan or not.  Weather station is for the Seattle area.  Temperatures are mild compared to most of you, although it will be in full sun 100% of the time.  It seems to be a failure-prone part, and I could save myself $ and maint. hassle by skipping it, if accuracy won't take too much of a hit.  Any opinions?

Kipa

--- End quote ---

I used to live in Seattle.  You know as well as I do that June through early September you have sunny and long days.  That said, think about your micro climate.  Are you on the sound in west Seattle? Lakefront? Then it might be windy enough where FARS would have little impact.  If not, and you're landlocked in beacon hill then you might need it. 

I would think more about wind flow than temperatures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version