Author Topic: Hello from the most boring weather town in the lower 48  (Read 1210 times)

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
Hello from the most boring weather town in the lower 48
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:15:36 AM »
I'm probably exaggerating a little when I say how boring the weather is around here, but it sure feels like it by July. Here are some things I personally despise about summertime weather in CenCal (it's still a great place, don't get me wrong!):

1) AIR QUALITY SUCKS! Most of the "Top 10" lists about bad air quality in America features 1 or more towns from the San Joaquin Valley. It makes sense though, we are in a geographical trash bin, with 2 major metropolitan areas to our north and south: L.A. and San Francisco. On top of that, disturbances are extremely rare, so the air sits in place for the most part. I'm not sure if this is usual in other places, but our horizon turns into a light tan color on some days, and you can't see the mountains (which are only 40 miles away).

2) The heat is kind of annoying. I wouldn't call it very bad; the southeast has it worse with their humidity, but it stinks when it's going to be 104 for the 3rd day in a row. Arizona gets a similar dry heat, but much worse (only they can occasionally get the monsoons by August; we're still dry as heck).

3) It's so darned DRY. There's a reason that CA gets so many wildfires (contributing to bad air quality). Usually by mid-June, all the non-watered grass has turned yellow, and the dirt is bone-dry. On average (according to the NWS), Fresno's dry period is from about mid-April to October or later. That's 6 months for any sort of unwatered vegetation to dry up. The main reason I don't like this dryness is because it feels like the same thing everyday: hot and sunny with a few cirrus clouds in the evening.

By the time late-October rolls around, things cool off (usually, though it can still reach 100 in early Oct.), and the winds kick up, which usually fixes the air quality to an extent. Of course, dust can get kicked up too, if it was really dry over the summer, and sometimes in the winter (anyone heard of the 1977 Arvin dust storm?).

Sorry if I sound like a negative person, but I'm bored and felt like expressing my opinions on stuff like that right now (in the midst of summer, of course). Has anybody else from the forum visited the San Joaquin Valley, and if so, what did you think of it (weather related or not, I'm interested either way)?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:20:53 AM by spc fresno »
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Hello from the most boring weather town in the lower 48
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Lived in Northern Az for 43 years very similar summer weather to Fresno Ca. without the smog.
Summer Dewpoint runs around 50° with highs upper 90's low 100's.

At least northern Az. we would get an occasional winter snow for some weather variety and scenery was second to none.
Low permanent population 10K, swells with summer tourist (Lake Powell) surrounded by public lands and no gates. It's changing though with environmentalist doing their dirty deed pushing for closure of everything making public access inaccessible unless you are in great physical shape and can hike.  It gets worse every year with new areas getting closed from public access.   
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Hello from the most boring weather town in the lower 48
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Always wondered what it would it would be like to be a weather enthusiast but live in an area where the weather is boring.
Guess now I know.
We get some of that in Florida during the Winter months. Chamber of Commerce weather.
Yuck!
Give me summertime. Hot, steamy, stormy, rainy, lightning, tropical storms etc etc,
Now grunting like Tim Taylor on Home Improvement.  :grin:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll