Author Topic: Which data logger approach?  (Read 797 times)

Offline dtidmore

Which data logger approach?
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my new Vantage Pro2 Plus (moving from Ambient Weather hardware).  I already use a Meteobridge and intend to continue to use it with the new VP2.  I know that I can use Davis's Weatherlink IP or Weatherlink USB or Belfryboy's USB clone to connect to my Meteobridge (the MeteoStick is another option but it seems to have more disadvantages than the others)

From what I have gleaned, the WeatherLinkIP is fairly lame and the only REAL advantage I see is that it directly sends to Davis's WeatherLink reporting site, BUT there are issues if you are wanting to pull data at a real-time rate (ie matching the wind info update rate).  The one advantage I saw to the new WeatherLink2 site was to use it on an iPad in kiosk mode as a full time display. I am NOT wed to sending data to Davis.

So does the USB approach, in particular Belfryboy's clone have issues feeding data at real-time rates from the display?  Again, I can live without Davis's Weatherlink2 site as I already report to quite a few sites from my Meteobridge and really prefer to continue having the Meteobridge be my primary fed to everyone. 

I am comfortable with setting up any of the options, but I really want real-time updates feeding into the Meteobridge.

Thoughts?

Thanks
David

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
Re: Which data logger approach?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »
I use a meteobridge system as well and I use the Weatherlink USB data logger connected from my Davis VP2 console to the meteobridge (actually the Ambient Weather Weatherbridge which is basically the same as a meteobridge). It works perfectly, and is quite a bit cheaper than some other options. If you are planning on continuing to use the meteobridge that you have then I would suggest getting the Weatherlink USB data logger, as it does everything you'll need it to do and is the cheaper option.

I report to Weather Underground every 5 seconds and to CWOP every 5 minutes. It works perfectly.

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »
So to better clarify the options this is a Meteobridge and not a Pro?

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
yes, the classic Meteobridge, NOT the Pro model.  (ie TPLink MR3020 with Meteobridge firmware).

anything