Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

moving up from acurite

(1/2) > >>

VE7FQN:
I am bit unhappy with acurite killing intenet bridge and forcing move to the new access. I see others having connectivity issues with access. Rather than continue with acurite I am looking at another system to fit my budget. I am looking at ambient weather 1101. I see WeatherFlow is coming out with a smart weather station (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/weatherflow-smart-weather-stations/#/). Just looking for thoughts and comments.

Doug

alanb:
1101? Are you referring to the Ambient 1002 which replaced the 1001?

VE7FQN:
Oops! Missed the 2. Ambient Weather WS-1201-IP

vreihen:
WeatherFlow (WF) is promising to start shipping production wind/rain/solar sensors to all of their early backers in April, per their latest campaign update.  My temp/humidity/barometer/lightning sensor from them has been working reliably.  I have it mounted to the north wall of my detached/unheated garage, and even without a radiation shield it is tracking nicely against my Acu-Rite 5-in-1 (when the Acu-Rite feels like working).  The included WF hub is reliable, and their making of your data available through several simple documented API's (including simple local network UDP broadcasts) is refreshing in today's consumer-class weather stations that are locked in to the seller's cloud site.  As an example, I developed a complete weewx station driver that grabs the UDP broadcasts from my home network and imports them into weewx...no DNS spoofing, no man-in-the-middle box with two ethernet ports, not even a USB cable!  My code is available on GitHub if anyone wants to use it.

With that said, I'm going to coin a new axiom based on a saying from my racing days.  You're not a real car guy until you've owned an Alfa Romeo.  My new saying is that you're not a real weather geek until you've owned a Davis station.  With all of the money and frustration that I have invested in Acu-Rite equipment over the last 8 years, I should have become a real weather geek sooner than today.

As a footnote, you can take a $20 USB SDR dongle with a Raspberry Pi and make a weewx Acu-Rite bridge of your own, keeping your 5-in-1 and throwing away their Bridge/smartHUB/Access junk.  When it works, my 5-in-1 is a surprisingly accurate station for the price.  There's a complete Acu-Rite sub-forum at this site to see what others are doing.....

Bushman:
OT:  I had an Alfa GTV.  70's vintage. Man, when it ran...  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version