Author Topic: FCC filing for the Atlas posted  (Read 3398 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: FCC filing for the Atlas posted
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
I'm also unclear what those two rods are doing in that "rain cup".  If I remember right, the rain would first flow against those rods completing a circuit, then flow down through the hole into the tipping buckets.

I'm not sure what that circuit is doing.  Maybe it would only count bucket tips if there is actual rain so wind rocking is ignored?  But if that was the case, I'm still registering rain tips when taking the unit up-and-down.  ???

Update: I just checked my unit... it doesn't seem to have those rods or any sort of attached circuitry in that rain cup.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »
Davis has problems with reed switch's sometimes cracking
(probably from getting hot then cold every day will stress the glass and ends etc..i.e the metal will be expanding and shrinking every day)
so there is problems with reed switches, even for rain gauges

Offline iszekeres

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
I'm also unclear what those two rods are doing in that "rain cup".  If I remember right, the rain would first flow against those rods completing a circuit, then flow down through the hole into the tipping buckets.

I'm not sure what that circuit is doing.  Maybe it would only count bucket tips if there is actual rain so wind rocking is ignored?  But if that was the case, I'm still registering rain tips when taking the unit up-and-down.  ???

Update: I just checked my unit... it doesn't seem to have those rods or any sort of attached circuitry in that rain cup.

I was wondering about them as well, and thought much the same...that it would complete a circuit when water was present, but the rods seem larger than I would guess, and freshwater is not super conductive.......the pads on the "water" board seem rather large, maybe some sort of heating to melt anything in the bottom of the cup?  I did not look very close at the circuit layout and do not remember if the two legs completed anything or were just open ended.....

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
As I said in another thread recently, I'm tired of people stabbing the Report button. By extension, I'm also tired of forum members poking sticks at other members, causing them to want to stab the Report button.

There is plenty of blame to go around on at least 2 sides in this thread.

If you are a poker, please stop.

If you are a pokee, find you sensitivity knob and turn it down by half (or more).

If you've been here long enough to remember a certain annoying young lad a few years ago, you know why my patience is thin. Thin enough that I'm willing to stab the thread lock or banned button.  The vast majority of us get along just fine here. One of the reasons I visit wxforum is to get away from the incivility rampant in our world currently.

I had to rewrite this a couple of times to get it to the level of civility I would post. Y'all please do the same.

If you don't.... well, don't poke the adnim bear.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:41:28 AM by SLOweather »

Offline John Z

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
Regarding rain detection:

It wasn't so long ago that Hall devices would have been out of the question because their current draw would quickly run batteries down. These days there are some pretty neat devices available which can run with microamp level current drain.

One advantage these have over reed switches is that there is no fragile glass-to-metal seal to be stressed with every thermal cycle, and no moving parts inside. Solid state, rugged, but yes they cost more than reed switches.

As I look at the pics in the filing, I see some interesting clues
There is a side view pic of the tipping buckets. It appears to have a familiar arm and magnet, as you would need with a reed switch rain detector. There is a reed switch shown in the photos, and , other than the wind direction encoder, nothing I could identify as a Hall device.

The main board has a two pin connector labelled "rain". A small board has a two pin connector labelled "water", same as on the little connector board that has pads that press against the metal rods in the rain gauge.

It is as if, in this one device at least, rain counts are done with a reed switch, but counts are only enabled by the presence of water.

It will be interesting to see the final hardware.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:27:16 AM by John Z »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »

Yep.  The photos are really making me want to do a deeper tear-down.

I'm also interested to see how far you can disassemble the unit without tools.  The temp/humidity sensor seems like it can be easily replaced by hand down to a plastic module.  I'm not so sure about the aspiration fan motor, though.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »

Yep.  The photos are really making me want to do a deeper tear-down.

I'm also interested to see how far you can disassemble the unit without tools.  The temp/humidity sensor seems like it can be easily replaced by hand down to a plastic module.  I'm not so sure about the aspiration fan motor, though.

Just don't let anyone from the FCC remove the boards...    :lol:
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
Looks like the fan should be easily serviceable.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access