Weather Software > WeatherLink/weatherlink.com by Davis Instruments

WeatherLink.com 2 vs. WL(PC)

(1/10) > >>

Randall Kayfes:
I have USB Data Logger which currently works flawlessly with WL(PC). So here goes...
  1)   WL(PC), while running stores my data on my HDD and could upload to WL.com 2, so
    a.   To utilize WL.com 2 I still must run WL(PC) to up load it to WL.com 2 – correct?
  2)   To convert fully to utilizing WL.com 2 I would need IP Data Logger?
  3)   WL(PC) stores my data on my HDD as long as I have room on the HDD (basically forever)
    a.   WL.com 2 however does not give me back my data unless I manually download?
    b.   WL.com 2 currently max’s out at a year or some other limit – correct?
     i.   So manually download or lose it?
I am not trying to be snarky in any way I am just trying to get an idea of what my options are.

Regards, Randall

Mattk:
1) Yes with a subscription re upload
1a) Yes
2) Not really, only if you didn't want a monthly (basic) subscription and didn't want to run your PC 24/7
3) Yes
3a) Correct
3b) Probably, there would have to be a finite limit but have not checked into this
3bi) Yes, The first amendment re data storage

Randall Kayfes:
First thank you for the quick response!

So the basic (free) subscription is only available for IP Data Logger owners - Correct?

Finally I just scoured the Davis website and could not find the data loggers listed.
Are they going to continue to sell non-IP Data Loggers?

Thanks again, Randall

PaulMy:
Hi Randall,
I don't regularly run WL (usb logger)  but I signed up a couple months ago for WL.com 2 and that works fine on the free plan whenever I shut down Cumulus and run WL.  Some features on the paid subscription are not available in the free version so they remind me about their paid plan whenever i sign in.  But it works on USB logger and would be a nice addition for you to be on the map.

Enjoy,
Paul

johnd:
The new Davis products website IMHO is a mess. All done, I guess, in the name of having a site that's equally accessible (or inaccessible!) on PC browsers and mobile devices - have to say that I'm increasingly skeptical as to whether this can ever work well. But leaving that to one side, essentially all Davis products that used to be there are still there, including all the loggers; you just have a dig a little harder sometimes or catch the website unawares  ;).

But as a quick resume of wl.com 2.0:

There are 4 ways of uploading data:

* Standard USB (or serial) loggers attached to a PC or Mac and running the Weatherlink software;
* IP logger
* Vantage Connect units
* Enviromonitor gateways

Of these, I guess only the first two are of prime interest here.

There are then two feature levels: Basic (free); and Pro (ca $50pa).

Basic gives all previous features of the IP logger (but in a considerably updated format), ie current conditions web page with a daily summary and also accessible via a mobile app; storage for 10,000+ archive records available for download into WL for Windows (for long-term storage and analysis); automatic uploads to WU, CWOP etc; email alerts;

Pro gives unlimited data storage online and the Chart+Browse features online, plus an app called Mobilize that provides more sophisticated forecasts. More features to come.

That's it in a nutshell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version