Author Topic: MetroBridge & WeatherLink Network 2  (Read 5163 times)

Offline MaverickNH

MetroBridge & WeatherLink Network 2
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
Is there a way I can use MetroBridge & WeatherLink Network 2 together?

BRET/N4SRN

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: MetroBridge & WeatherLink Network 2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »

BRET/N4SRN

Well yes but maybe some additional detail would be useful, what exactly do you mean by togeather?   

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:28 AM »
I'll admit that I haven't used the WeatherLink 6.03 software since I connected my Vantage Vue to a TP-Link running MeteoBridge, so I'm pretty behind. Would I have to run a cable from PC to the TP-Link or can WL2 accept data from MeteoBridge?

BRET/N4SRN

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:41:44 AM »
- MB will not upload to WL2 (as such) but MB config will allow Davis logger to upload to WL2, what logger?
- Davis logger will enable upload to WL2 by a means dependent on logger, What logger?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:05:16 AM »
Happy to be proved wrong but I'm not convinced that this will work reliably. You'd have to be using the pass-through feature on MB to feed data to local Weatherlink via a network connection. But AIUI the pass-through simply repeats LOOP packets on to the network connection but cannot engage in any other 'conversation' with local WL. Won't local WL baulk at not getting replies to commands it's trying to issue?

But maybe someone has got this configuration working?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
Happy to be proved wrong but I'm not convinced that this will work reliably. You'd have to be using the pass-through feature on MB to feed data to local Weatherlink via a network connection. But AIUI the pass-through simply repeats LOOP packets on to the network connection but cannot engage in any other 'conversation' with local WL. Won't local WL baulk at not getting replies to commands it's trying to issue?

But maybe someone has got this configuration working?
Be happy then, it works as a charm.

Took a very old windows7 backup with WL 5.8,
upgraded to WL 6.0.3,
set weather-station_IP  to Meteobridge-IP

Weatherlink started to read all 513 logger data-blocks

Then I clicked WL menu => Setup => Weatherlink network ...
Entered my wl.com2.0 DID and key,
Messagebox with " accepted upload will start within minutes"

And now wl.com2.0 displays same local data as in weatherlink6.0.3
and
that is the same data as on my website which gets its data directly from the same Meteobridge.

Now I have to wait at least an hour to check if the graphs will start working?

Wim

P.S. you can NOT modify console-settings such as date/time.
If you need to do that, you have to attach the Davis-USB-logger cable directly to the computer Weatherlink is running on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:35:40 AM by wvdkuil »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »

That's useful information, but I was thinking more about the USB logger that was probably (?) the main interest in this thread. If you have an IP logger then you potentially don't need the MB unit, though it may depend on exactly what your objectives are.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

That's useful information, but I was thinking more about the USB logger that was probably (?) the main interest in this thread. If you have an IP logger then you potentially don't need the MB unit, though it may depend on exactly what your objectives are.
I do not have a spare USB logger, let alone a console or envoy to put it in.
But for this test it really does not matter what type of logger is attached to the Meteobridge as the uploading to wl.comv2 is done by the Weatherlink PC program, not by the logger.

During the test, my WL.com v2 website was populated with current data and once every hour the archive records were uploaded. So the graphs on WL.com v2 started working correctly.

BRET/N4SRN
If you have an original Davis WL-IP logger you will be automatically converted to WL.COM2 in a few months. Your WL-IP already started automatically uploading your data as soon as it was connected to your router.
I assume that you set the correct setting in your MB also. To view the data on WL.com v1 or 2 you need to setup a FREE account at WL.com

If you haven any other (usb or serial) logger attached to your MB, you have to get a PC, find the CD-Rom of the PC Weatherlink program, install it, upgrade to version 6.0.3, make an account, tell the Weatherlink PC program your credentials and the Weatherlink program will upload to wl.comv2. 

But you should leave your PC on 24/7 to inspect your data at wl.comv2.  Will be a considerabel extra cost on top of the monthly cost.

Wim

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:16:18 AM by wvdkuil »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
I do not have a spare USB logger, let alone a console or envoy to put it in.....
But for this test it really does not matter what type of logger is attached to the Meteobridge as the uploading to wl.comv2 is done by the Weatherlink PC program, not by the logger.

The problem is that the OP didn't really define what configuration they were planning to use. There are two main possibilities:

1. IP logger, in which case it's not very obvious why the MB unit is needed, though uploads to weather networks other than WU/CWOP is one possibility I guess. But sure, there's no reason why the WLIP shouldn't continue to upload to wl.com as long as it's released from LOOP lock by the MB at appropriate intervals.

2. USB logger, in which case the configuration would presumably be the logger connecting to directly to MB with uploads to wl.com being handled by a Windows PC listening to the MB pass-through via TCP/IP. This latter bit is the aspect that I wouldn't guarantee working - it's the connection between MB and PC that's the potential issue, not the uploads from WLfW.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »

. . . shortened . . .

2. USB logger, in which case the configuration would presumably be the logger connecting to directly to MB with uploads to wl.com being handled by a Windows PC listening to the MB pass-through via TCP/IP. This latter bit is the aspect that I wouldn't guarantee working - it's the connection between MB and PC that's the potential issue, not the uploads from WLfW.
An USB logger attached to the MB and running another weather-program  is the almost "standard" configuration.  It works with dozens of template users using WLfW, WD, Cumulus and so on.  Often they install a MB an continue to use for a few months, their weather-program to get correct historical data and until they are convinced that all works OK.

This is more or less the other way around. Now a user want to add a PC+WLfW just to use WL.comV2.
But as I demonstrated, WLfW will work with the MB pass-thru logger and upload current data and 1 hour data as if it was a locally attached logger.

Wim

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
There is no question that a MB and Davis logger will not work together and one reason why people want to use the MB is due to the single thread locked in upload of the Davis logger where as the MB can upload basically the same data to multiple sites, the Davis logger (itself) by design is essentially a 1 site device but has other options with other software but most hanging off PC's.

There can be multiple combinations with many of these configurations and what users need to do with these types of queries is spell out what MB and what logger that intend to use as it reduces the assumptions.     
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:28:43 PM by Mattk »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 04:36:23 PM »
The specific question was whether a PC running Weatherlink for Windows can robustly access the pass-through data of an MB unit linked to a USB logger. (This is the only configuration I can think of that could upload to wl.com with a USB logger.)

I think wvdkuil is saying that he knows of examples where this specific configuration is working well long-term, but would be useful if he could confirm that. If it is then great - that's another useful piece of information. But, to be clear, I'm not asking about the MB pass-through feeding other software packages such as WD or Cumulus - it's Weatherlink for Windows that is the focus here.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:04 PM »
The specific question was whether a PC running Weatherlink for Windows can robustly access the pass-through data of an MB unit linked to a USB logger. (This is the only configuration I can think of that could upload to wl.com with a USB logger.)

Now the specific question was  "Is there a way I can use MetroBridge & WeatherLink Network 2 together?" and no where has the OP even mentioned the word USB which is what makes a lot of these queries assumptive. But in answer to that type of limited query then the answer is certainly Yes

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »
OP here - sorry to get back so late.

I have a USB Logger, and have specified the MB IP in my WL6.0.3 ComPort settings, and applied my WL2 Device ID and Key. If I click the Bulletin Button I get the station data DL'd and displayed on WL6.0.3. So MB is routing to WL6.0.3 on my PC.

On WL6.0.3 Internet Settings, I've selected Internet Transfer Enabled ON and have selected a sample template Current_Vantage.htx to add to a profile and Automatically DL before Internet Upload checked with upload every 5 minutes. On the Internet Connection Settings dialog, I have Connect through a local server selected.

I'm thinking I missed something at the WL6.0.3 top bar says ... Weather Network Upload: Off 9Vantage Bulletin0, and I see no data displayed on www.weatherlink.com. But I'm closer. Any suggestions appreciated.

Bret/N4SRN

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
@MaverickNH You're on the wrong track. Look up 'Weatherlink Network' in the WL Help index and follow the instructions there. (I'm assuming that you've already registered at weatherlink.com and also received a DID and key for your uploads.)

NB You no longer need to buy a 6558 plan - that is now free.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
Thanks - I’ll work on that and report back.

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
@MaverickNH You're on the wrong track. Look up 'Weatherlink Network' in the WL Help index and follow the instructions there. (I'm assuming that you've already registered at weatherlink.com and also received a DID and key for your uploads.)

NB You no longer need to buy a 6558 plan - that is now free.

So, as I see it now, the Setup:WeatherLink Network menu item is greyed out, as is Setup:Network Upload (on if checked).

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
it's greyed out if you are using TCP/IP method to get data in weatherlink I think you will find

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 06:24:31 AM »
it's greyed out if you are using TCP/IP method to get data in weatherlink I think you will find

Yes, you're right of course. As far as WL is concerned, it's assuming that you have an IP logger connected and so no need to duplicate the uploads the weatherlink.com. (There may also be other reasons to do with timing of the uploads.) So that's a second reason why this configuration (ie a network connection via Meteobridge) is unlikely to work in uploading to weatherlink.com
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
I thought Wim had cleared all this up as per his posts above, what is the problem now?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
I thought Wim had cleared all this up as per his posts above, what is the problem now?

Well, this is a longish thread and the exact configuration isn't 100% clear. The OP can correct this summary but AFAICS:

1. There's a USB logger feeding a standard (ie not Pro) Meteobridge unit, which is configured to do...whatever;

2. There's a copy of Weatherlink for Windows receiving data via TCP/IP from the passthrough feature on MB;

3. The OP would like this copy of WLfW to upload to wl.com 2.0, but can't configure it because the Weatherlink Network menu option is greyed out. (Which IIRC and as Brian stated is always the case if TCP/IP is selected as the Communications Port option.) So I still can't see how this configuration can be made to work - ie to upload to wl.com;
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:53:00 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
Wim and many others have this working so as said not sure what the problem is?

And just to clarify as I understand it the MB is reading raw data (not the logger data as such) and what the MB does is allow the Davis logger a window to talk direct to Wl.com which I think is a little different to the idea of a passthrough (as such)

Wim?   

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:42 PM »
but this person has a usb data logger

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
Wim and many others have this working so as said not sure what the problem is?

And just to clarify as I understand it the MB is reading raw data (not the logger data as such) and what the MB does is allow the Davis logger a window to talk direct to Wl.com which I think is a little different to the idea of a passthrough (as such)

OK, let's try again:

What you're calling 'raw' data is actually the real-time data (or in Davis-speak LOOP data), while the logger data is the archive data. It's enough to agree that the MB is indeed reading the LOOP data - whether it can do any more is maybe beside the point here. It's then the LOOP data that can be passed through to some other program via a TCP/IP connection.

But the pass-through LOOP data has to be further processed before it can do anything useful. In this particular example of the OP wanting to upload data to wl.com, the only available option is for that LOOP data to be read and processed by the Weatherlink for Windows program, which could then in theory perform the wl.com uploads.

But that's when the Catch 22 pops up: If WLfW is receiving data via a TCP/IP connection, the access to the wl.com upload feature (ie the Weatherlink Network option on the Setup menu) is greyed out. So it's an impasse. It would seem that WLfW has to receive data on a USB/VCP/serial port for the wl.com upload to be available.

Maybe there's a workaround, but I can't think what it is?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
but this person has a usb data logger

This person? Who the OP or Wim? But yes Wim has USB