Author Topic: Any way to read data from the new Atlas/Access hub?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Any way to read data from the new Atlas/Access hub?
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
I got a request from a Meteobridge user if the new Access/Atlas product from Acurite can be used to grab data from it in the LAN/WLAN. When I understand the comments in this forum right it does not provide any sensor data to the LAN (as ObserverIP from Ambient does, for example) but sends data (encrypted?) to the Acurite server and to WU only.

That would mean no local weather software can read data from it. So it is even more locked-in as the Aculink hub was (which already was a pain to get data from by bypassing it to the computer who wants to sniff weather data from it).

But may be I just don't see any obvious way to make use of this device (apart from DNS faking and trying to let the unit believe that my server is the Acurite server, which might be a bit too much to get just the data of the sensors I paid them for) ;-)

Any ideas? As I can't get a unit for testing easily here in Germany, any knowledgeable comment is highly welcome.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: Any way to read data from the new Atlas/Access hub?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
But may be I just don't see any obvious way to make use of this device (apart from DNS faking and trying to let the unit believe that my server is the Acurite server, which might be a bit too much to get just the data of the sensors I paid them for) ;-)

Any ideas? As I can't get a unit for testing easily here in Germany, any knowledgeable comment is highly welcome.

I don't have any knowledge of the Acurite, so this might be way off.  :-)
How about using a managed switch with port monitoring? Plug the Acurite or Wireless device into that port and sniff the packets for the right one. Managed switch prices has come down and are now affordable.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:30:15 PM »
I believe that someone already posted that they were using HTTPS or some other data encryption, which makes intercepting with a packet sniffer extremely difficult.

ASSuming that they are using HTTPS and not validating the remote server's certificate, is there enough resources in the MB platform to install a light-weight HTTPS web server and writing some sort of CGI-BIN web program that spoofs the Acu-Rite mothership?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
I don't think that the MB can handle that on top of the other tasks... and it would be too much of a hassle to make that operational. If this is the only way, the Atlas will remain unsupported for MB.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Catskin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »
As a brand new owner of an Acurite 5 in 1 with both the smart hub and new Access, it sounds to me like it would be easier to just buy a new system without these restrictions.

I guess I screwed the pooch on this buying decision.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
As a brand new owner of an Acurite 5 in 1 with both the smart hub and new Access, it sounds to me like it would be easier to just buy a new system without these restrictions.

The SmartHUB and 5n1 will continue to function as it always has.

"Access" is just at the start of its life-cycle, so I expect there will be changes to come.  There wouldn't be much point in the hardware upgrade and faster reporting cycle otherwise.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
"Access" is just at the start of its life-cycle, so I expect there will be changes to come.  There wouldn't be much point in the hardware upgrade and faster reporting cycle otherwise.

I hope you are right and your arguments are 100% logical... on the other side Acurite stood so far more on the user lock-in side. Even the smarthub is not convenient to get data from. But we will see. :-)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Does anyone know if Acurite plans on a console with PC connnect for Atlas? That may be a way that meteobridge could be supported. I don't understand the reasoning for Acurite wanting to keep users from being able to read their own accesses... Data is data, the competitors aren't gaining any secrets by knowing what is coming out of our sensors.

Offline Catskin

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »

I built and ran quite a few https://www.campbellsci.com/ telemetry systems back in the day where data was just handed to the user (by whatever means) to do with what they will - it just didn't occur to me that these systems (PWS) were so proprietary.  As I said, I screwed the pooch by failing to research the products properly.

I do think I may have an old CR10X laying around so all is not lost - it will just take a bit of work (relearning edlog) to build :)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:31:08 PM »

I built and ran quite a few https://www.campbellsci.com/ telemetry systems back in the day where data was just handed to the user (by whatever means) to do with what they will - it just didn't occur to me that these systems (PWS) were so proprietary.  As I said, I screwed the pooch by failing to research the products properly.

I do think I may have an old CR10X laying around so all is not lost - it will just take a bit of work (relearning edlog) to build :)

Acurite's sensors are ASK/OOK devices transmitting on 433.92MHz.  It's just a matter of decoding the packet.  I'm not aware of anyone publishing an Atlas decoder, but it's just a matter of time.

anything