Author Topic: Repeated signal dropouts  (Read 3591 times)

Offline openvista

• Contributor
    • marquetteweather.com
Re: Repeated signal dropouts
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:37 AM »
Just for heck of it, let's game out a Davis support interaction. After summarizing the problem and offering corroboration, I would insist Davis cut me a check for my Vue console. Why? Because I'm not sticking Ryan @ Scaled Instruments with the return just so Davis can send me the same product for free. This one works fine so far. And I'm not going to pay Davis to fix what appears to be a design error. What's more, I'm not performing free labor for Davis by testing out a 3rd VP2 console only to, quite likely, return it. So the only successful scenario ends with an apology, a check and a promise by Davis to reach out to their users and make this right (which I would expect to hear about from actual users on this forum). Since none of that is going to happen, I just skipped to the part where I solved my own problem (even if it involved an unjust expense to me).

This thread, unlike the pointless exercise above, is an effort to help others with this problem. If after reading it they wish to contact Davis support, that is their right, especially if their product is under warranty.

Assuming Davis were interested in visiting the most likely place on the internet their users would describe problems with their products, maybe they already know? There I go making assumptions.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:52:14 AM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 | https://marquetteweather.com

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2018, 04:16:47 AM »
Appears like some have lost the plot with this one, this thread isn't going anywhere at the moment expect downhill.

Offline openvista

• Contributor
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
As of this morning, after 30 hours spent below 10F, I have not experienced any loss of connection with my transmitters on the Vue console (0 resyncs and 0 sensor errors in my software). I've never had a 24 hour period on any of my VP2 consoles at these temperatures without issues.

Over the same period the VP2 console had 5 resyncs with the ISS and 4 resyncs with the wind transmitter. Yesterday I observed a ~6 hour ISS outage on the VP2.

I think I know what I need to know at this point.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Carson Valley Weather
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Openvista, I am glad your new Vue console is working for you and the signal-drop issue appears to be resolved. As you said, hopefully others will read this thread and gain some knowledge about the issue so they can make their own rational decision on the matter.

Good luck with the new Vue console!
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S62,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, , Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
As I hinted at earlier, switching to a VUE console seemed (for whatever reasons) to SOLVE my ISS-to-console "drop-out" problems, which were NOT solved by changing ISS unit (I bought a spare), ISS CR123A batteries (replaced a LOT of them), or ISS-cover solar panel (also a spare).

Bluntly, the VUE console *receiver* seems to operate better...although the original VP2 Console worked fine during its initial 4-years of service, then began to suddenly experience periodic "low battery on #1" notices regardless of CR123A battery life/replacements.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:24:12 PM by Old Tele man »
SYS: Davis VP2/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB
CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline openvista

• Contributor
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »
As I hinted at earlier, switching to a VUE console seemed (for whatever reasons) to SOLVE my ISS-to-console "drop-out" problems, which were NOT solved by changing ISS unit (I bought a spare), ISS CR123A batteries (replaced a LOT of them), or ISS-cover solar panel (also a spare).

Bluntly, the VUE console *receiver* seems to operate better...although the original VP2 Console worked fine during its initial 4-years of service, then suddenly began to experience periodic "low battery on #1" notices regardless of CR123A battery life/replacements.

I never received low battery warnings even though my software, WeatherCat, checks battery strength daily. Although that error could be an idiosyncracy of a particular weather application (WeatherLink?).

In my case, both receivers experienced signal problems in cold weather *as soon as they were placed in those conditions*. For my first console, that was the first winter in Michigan (it lived in AZ before that for 2 yrs). For my 2nd console, issues occurred immediately after being placed into service in January 2016.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
I still wonder if a 16340 (rechargeable CR123A) might perform better in this scenario. I can't find data on the 16340 size, but the better 18650 batteries still have 3.5V at 14F (as low as the published data go). Even if I assume a steep voltage drop off from there, we're looking at staying above 3V until somewhere around -25F.

When I first proposed the idea I was worried that the 4.2V maximum of these batteries might be an issue, but since then have realized that the power adapter supplies 5V. It seems like these batteries shouldn't be an issue.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
This thread explains why the Vue has better reception. RF chip in Vue is better.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33638.msg341444#msg341444
Randy, the Aviator is my father in 1963 with his Indian bike

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #158 on: Yesterday at 02:42:48 AM »
Put the console antenna in the up position, if you don't already do, to see if that helps prevent signal dropouts. 

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.81 at http://stillwaterweather.com/wx/2ndhome.php

anything