Weather Software > VP Tools (Virtual VP, VP Live, and VP Tools)

Need help setting up Virtual VP coms

(1/17) > >>

Tazz 316:
I have virtual IP installed and it is downloading data from my VP2 using 3.15 firmware.

I only want to use WD and cumulus. Everyone says to use TCP/IP i'm guessing that i just enter the same info that is in Virtual VP tcp/ip settings into WD, i try that and it does not work.

I don't understand what the number after the address 127.0.0.1 is.....is it like a port number? Or do i need to use IP address....I have my win 10 PC set to a static address.

Thanks

dupreezd:
The IP address 127.0.0.1 is a special-purpose IPv4 address called localhost or loopback address. All computers use this address as their own but it doesn't let them communicate with other devices like a real IP address does.

--- Quote ---I don't understand what the number after the address 127.0.0.1 is.....is it like a port number?
--- End quote ---
That number is the netmask and it determines subnet range. eg if you have an ip address of 192.168.1.x and a mask of 255.255.255.0, your ip range will be 192.168.1.1 to 254.

Happy New Year

Joel:
Are you speaking about this screen ?   Yes the numbers are port numbers.    Your other applications must listen to these address and ports.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Tazz 316:

--- Quote from: Joel on January 01, 2018, 09:13:59 AM ---Are you speaking about this screen ?   Yes the numbers are port numbers.    Your other applications must listen to these address and ports.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

--- End quote ---

Yes that is the screen. So do i need to change 127.0.0.1 to an IP on my network in order for it to work? Also on cumulus does port number go in discon period?

Do you still need drivers if using TCP/ip?

Thanks for your time. :)

Joel:
No, IP address 127.0.0.1 represents the PC on which VVP is installed and should not be changed.

Because other apps are installed on the same PC, they must listen to VVP using TCP/IP protocol on the IP address 127.0.0.1 and one of the specified TCP ports.
For instance WD listen to 127.0.0.1:5511 and Cumulus listen to 127.0.0.1:5512

I personally use COM instead of TCP/IP, so I cannot help too much, but you shouldn't need any drivers, as stated in the manual
"VirtualVP supports TCP/IP connections without the need for any special drivers"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version