Author Topic: The Acurite Atlas  (Read 19098 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: The Acurite Atlas
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
Do any of you Bata Testers know if the Atlas is backwards compatible to the 5-In-1 HD Displays?.................................

There's nothing indicating that it is.  I wouldn't expect it to be unless Acurite provides a way to change the firmware on older displays.

Offline HeloMech

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:20 AM »
Darn..  I figured it there might be a snag there.  I am planning to get the Access when it is available.  If what I read is correct, as a replacement for the smart hub, it should be able to read the current 5in1 and remote sensors. It would also read the new Atlas series also, correct?

If I am thinking right, the Atlas would make my HD display and my original color lcd display that I currently have obsolete, but the myacurite would still pick up both generations of sensors. 

Does that sound correct?  I would love to have a price point for the Atlas 7 or 8, and additional displays.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:51:37 AM by HeloMech »

Acurite #01075RM  5in1 W/ Access
Acurite #06016M    Color Display
Acurite #06058M    HD display
Acurite #06045M    Lightning Detector  (2)
Acurite #06002RM  Temp/Hum Sensors  (4)
Acurite #00827A1   What to Wear display  (for the camper)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 01:02:37 AM »
Darn..  I figured it there might be a snag there.  I am planning to get the Access when it is available.  If what I read is correct, as a replacement for the smart hub, it should be able to read the current 5in1 and remote sensors. It would also read the new Atlas series also, correct?

Correct

If I am thinking right, the Atlas would make my HD display and my original color lcd display that I currently have obsolete, but the myacurite would still pick up both generations of sensors.

Your 5n1 displays will still continue operate with your 5n1.  There's no change there.

Through the Access, myAcurite will still gather data from your 5n1 as well as the Atlas.

Only one device will be able to report to wunderground, though.  There's a limitation of one wunderground station per Access or SmartHUB.  (That's a recent change from the previous limitation of one wunderground station per myAcurite account.)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
5 in 1 reading 2 degrees higher than the Atlas and the sensor in the acurite radiation shield.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:48:32 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
I'll be interested to see how it performs in late Spring and early Summer with the sun overhead, given all of the black plastic on the unit.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
I'd be interested to see how the Atlas performs as far as capturing wind gusts and sustained winds as compared with the 5 in 1.

I also think I noticed on a beta tester's wu page for their Atlas that wind gusts were being reported like the Ambient with data points showing for ridiculously low wind speeds. I hope that is not going to be the new normal for the Atlas. Even though the 5 in 1 misses a lot of wind readings at least it attempted to followed NWS suggested gust reporting criteria.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
I'd be interested to see how the Atlas performs as far as capturing wind gusts and sustained winds as compared with the 5 in 1.

I also think I noticed on a beta tester's wu page for their Atlas that wind gusts were being reported like the Ambient with data points showing for ridiculously low wind speeds. I hope that is not going to be the new normal for the Atlas. Even though the 5 in 1 misses a lot of wind readings at least it attempted to followed NWS suggested gust reporting criteria.

Unfortunately, Acurite seems to be using the looser definition on the Atlas.  I like the NWS definition, too, but apparently it makes the wind gust reading look "broken" to those who aren't aware of it.  (i.e. it doesn't plot as may of those orange plot-points on wunderground's wind speed chart)

It would be interesting to try a "happy medium", like setting the minimum gust speed to 9 MPH instead of 18 and seeing what that looks like.  Or maybe have the minimum gust speed relate to how high you have your anemometer above the ground.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

Unfortunately, Acurite seems to be using the looser definition on the Atlas.  I like the NWS definition, too, but apparently it makes the wind gust reading look "broken" to those who aren't aware of it.  (i.e. it doesn't plot as may of those orange plot-points on wunderground's wind speed chart)

It would be interesting to try a "happy medium", like setting the minimum gust speed to 9 MPH instead of 18 and seeing what that looks like.  Or maybe have the minimum gust speed relate to how high you have your anemometer above the ground.

I assume those settings adjustments would have to be made by Acurite and not by the individual user. Maybe if a consensus of the current Atlas beta testers agree with us regarding gusts Acurite will modify the way Atlas is currently displaying them in beta.

Does Acurite ask for feedback from their beta testers?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 03:53:38 PM »
I assume those settings adjustments would have to be made by Acurite and not by the individual user. Maybe if a consensus of the current Atlas beta testers agree with us regarding gusts Acurite will modify the way Atlas is currently displaying them in beta.

Does Acurite ask for feedback from their beta testers?

It would be most simply done by Accurite en masse in an Access software update.  Or, they could make it user-settable in myAcurite and push that down to the Access.

Atlas does take feedback from beta testers.  I know I've mentioned in several times over the years, and I'm sure some other beta testers have, too.  However, It seems an uphill battle as a lot of people  want to see all the orange marks on wunderground that seem to have become the norm.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »
Making MyAcurite configurable by users would be a big plus but unless there is some background buzz about changes to that software I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Offline Tylerpod

• PWS
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
I can't wait for this thing to come out would love to upgrade from my 5-1 to the atlas 8

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
I don't anticipate a long wait for an atlas to be for sale at this point. Acurite has apparently had a huge interest in the Access by customers too.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 11:45:15 PM »
A screenshot of myAcurite tonight as a squall line just pushed through.  Unfortunately no lightning though :/

Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing the screen shot of My AcuRite for the Atlas! Adding the UV and lightning section is making me want to replace my 5-N-1 with an Atlas.

Does the Altas UV data show up on WU, instead of the bogus data WU uses for the 5-N-1?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:14:05 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Anyone with an Atlas willing to share their weather data, could you please send me the device ID of the Altas in a personal message so I can add it to My AcuRite. I would love to follow your data though My AcuRite.

Thanks!
John

My 5-N-1 device in the Twin Cities Minnesota area is:
Device ID:24:C8:6E:08:30:13
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:08:29 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing the screen shot of My AcuRite for the Atlas! Adding the UV and lightning section is making me want to replace my 5-N-1 with an Atlas.

Does the Altas UV data show up on WU, instead of the bogus data WU uses for the 5-N-1?

Negative, I do not believe the UV reports to Weather Underground yet.  Nor does the lightning.

I'll be happy to share mine, but my Access is still the test version, thus I'm still on the test side of myAcurite.  Once I get my production version of the Access in, I'll share it.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »

Negative, I do not believe the UV reports to Weather Underground yet.  Nor does the lightning.

Looking at the wunderground data stream, UV is reporting, but it's not graphing.

They're sending the parameter "uvindex".  According to the wunderground upload protocol, I think it's supposed to be "UV".  So maybe that's why.

It does look like there are some minor things they need to clean up in the URL, but those are no big deal.  For example, "rtfreq" is being set twice.... once at 36 and again at 35.  It actually should be 10.

Also, I was looking at the timing of data sending last night.  It should send data every 10 seconds, but it appears it is sending the same data multiple times to wunderground.  It seems goofy, but perhaps it's a crude "load testing" simulating sending data to other services?

Offline jquagga

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
So, since the WU feed is not encrypted, I’m guessing it’s possible to use say the weewx interceptor to read whatever is being posted to WU and getting the data that way?

I notice the “HD Display” manual doesn’t list a USB port. I’m interested in moving from a 5in1 to an Atlas but only if I can get the data into weewx. I’m assuming the Atlas uses an Access to post data. So I could set up the Access to post my device to WU (I’m guessing you have to use myaccurite to at least assign which device you are sending to WU), and then firewall it off from accessing WU or myacurite. Then DNS redirect the WU URL to the interceptor which would then load it into weewx. Plan C would be the SDR driver I guess.  I want a barometer though.

That also assumes the Access transmits the WU packets even if it can’t phone home.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
I've got a real problem with a mockingbird using my atlas rain gauge as a "toilet". I mean this thing has turned into a Shhh hole. I think I need some bird spikes.

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
George, Skysummit, or any other Atlas tester. Here's my question.

With the 5in1 (connected to the SmartHub or Access), the 5in1 takes up one of the available 'slots' (1 of 10 on SH, 1 of 7 on Access). With the Atlas, 7 is without lightning dectection, 8 is WITH lightning detection. My question is this...either with 7 with lighting detection added later, or 8 with the lightning detection form the start, does the lightning detection take up one of the available 'slots' on the Access, or is the LD considered a separate device (even though it is physically connected to the Atlas) taking up a 'slot' of its own?

Offline John Z

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
Bart,

Atlas (7 or 8 ) counts as one of the 7 "slots". Lightning detection, UV, Light intensity plus all the usual T&H, wind speed, direction, rain, all in just one "slot".

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »
Thank you. I assumed that the 7 (or the 8, not counting lightning detection) was considered as 1. I just wasn't sure what happened with lightning detection, considering it is an "add on" to the 7 (which would make it an 8 )...if it was considered a separate "device" (let's say, like a room T/H sensor) taking up a slot of its own, or if it would considered a simple add-on to the 7 and transmit in the same "slot" as the 7. This clarifies. Again, thank you. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:09:01 PM by Bart »

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
Next question...regarding the stand-alone monitor. Can it run on batteries, or is it AC powered only?

Offline John Z

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Bart,

The display does not have batteries, but it does appear to have enough internal energy storage to retain data through short blips. It also has an SD card slot, up to 32 Gb capacity, where it writes detailed .csv files every 20 minutes. A year of data is about 1Gb.

BTW, the display receives power via a micro-USB connector, so a carefully selected micro-UPS might work there.

Both the display and Atlas appear to be very nicely done products.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:49:15 PM by John Z »

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
For you guys/gals that are currently testing the Atlas...since I would assume that many of you have been around PWS stuff for quite a long time, including testing with specific companies, let me ask you this. Based on your experiences, what would be your best guess as to how long until Atlas is released? Are we looking at a month? 6 months? Maybe a year yet? I know...nothing from the past can accurately indicate the future, so this is just more of a "guess", based on what you've experienced and have seen occur in the past. Care to take a shot in the dark?

I've seen people say things like "should be really soon". "Really soon" can be very subjective. My wife might think "really soon" would be sometime today. I might think "really soon" would be within 6 months. :)