Author Topic: Davis Wireless VP 2 Barometer Spike  (Read 11196 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Davis Wireless VP 2 Barometer Spike
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Don,

I may be wrong but I THINK that version (04/10/06) is PC updateable.

FWIW

George

HoosierGuy,
Don't take my word for that! Find it in writing before you try it.

I stand corrected - you are correct. I misread the Davis website (thought it said 28-Nov-06). Guess I'm getting too old... My VP2 was purchased from Ambient in Dec 05 and it had an older firmware version in it. Had to get the  updater to bring it up to date.

Updating via the PC certainly makes things much easier and is a snap to do.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »

Ok, since I reset the elevation to zero I've had one major spike.  I think for over 24 hours there has been no major spike.  Should I go ahead and reset my elevation to what it should be? 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Ok, since I reset the elevation to zero I've had one major spike.  I think for over 24 hours there has been no major spike.  Should I go ahead and reset my elevation to what it should be?

HoosierGuy,

The large spikes you have reported are certainly not normal.

A couple of comments and requests of you:
  • Since you haven't updated your WxForum profile so it includes your location (City & State) it's difficult for us to know what other local weather stations are reading and whether they too are having any spikes or changes to their barometers. So, could you please tell us where you live?
  • If you add your equipment and software list (including software version numbers) it would be helpful too. Just add this information to your signature in the profile section. Look at some of the other members signatures here for ideas. If you need help doing that just ask.
  • Do you have a website? If so, post it's URL so we can see the data directly. You have been giving us only snippets of information so it's difficult to see any pattern of the spikes. We're troubleshooting in the dark.
  • You describe the barometer swings as being spikes - how long do they last (i.e., seconds, minutes, hours)? Barometer changes are rarely sudden except when a front comes through when the readings will decline or increase quickly over an hour or so and then level out until the next change comes through the area.
  • Are there any METAR stations near you and if so, does your barometer generally track with it?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, just asking for some additional information so we can better help you now and in the future.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline NDSWeather

• NDS Weather - Colorado City
  • Contributor
  • NDS Weather - Colorado City CO
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
Called Davis last night.  He had me set the elevation to zero and monitor
the barometer for 24 hours and call back.  It's already shown some spikes. 
He said it could be a bad monitor or something out side needs replaced.  Aren't there any other tests to do to pin point the problem? 

"elevation to zero on the Davis Pro 2"
This is what I did 4 years ago per Davis and all have been running fine. Used with VWS Software Only.
I get -1 to +1 on my readings as shown on http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4784?tile=10;days=2#Data
Also see http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=3115.msg23932#msg23932 as well
But per users in this Forum don't take Gladstone Family as law, I do try to get as close as I can though.
Ed even made a change in VWS back in Oct of 08 and once more in Mar of 08. Ed was correct and all is fine now.
This is done under Beta Versions of WVS, But that is what Beta Software testing is all about.
So the spike you see on http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCOLITTL9&day=7&year=2008&month=10&graphspan=year are from Beta Testing.

NDS Weather
6153 Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 FW 1.90 Serial Port
Now Only WeatherLink 6.0.5
KCOCOLOR2154 CW4784

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »

www.lyfordindianaweather.com

You can also find my info on weather underground.  Punch in Rosedale Indiana or Lyford Indiana and you can see my weather info.

I live near Terre Haute Indiana.

Vantage Pro2 Firmware version: 04/10/06

Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition: version V13.01  p09

I set the elevation back to what it's supposed to be around 4pm. 

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »

It spiked again! lol.  I'm going to unplug this thing and take out the batteries and hook it back up.  If that does not not work then...  Install an update? 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
It looks like you just had a negative baromometer spike about fifteen minutes ago. It went from around 30.08 to 28.00 and then almost immediately back to 30.08. I think you are still having problems...

BTW, thanks for updating your profile and listing your website! It really helps when we can go directly to the data sources to help troubleshooting.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »
It spiked again! lol.  I'm going to unplug this thing and take out the batteries and hook it back up.  If that does not not work then...  Install an update?

Guess we were both typing at the same time...

Yes, I would suggest trying to update the firmware. However, you also should update VWS to the current version. But don't do that until you get the console firmware update completed and get that stabilized.

What did Davis support ask you to do when you called them? Normally they give you a suggestion and then have you call them back afterwards with the results. We shouldn't interfere with their troubleshooting process.

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »

I never did call Davis back.  After I set the elevation to zero and saw no (or one) spike, I set the elevation back to 525.  Then I saw spikes.  I unplugged the thing and took the batteries out and I will see if that fixes it. 

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »

From reading the replies on this thread - it is ok for me to update the Davis from the web site and I do not need that updater thing.  This is correct? 

So, if I have any more spikes, do I call back Davis or just go ahead and update the thing? 

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »
Yes you CAN update yor console using the direct pc upload.

and yes if you still see spikes call davis and see if they will replace your console.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Prius

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
After reading this column, my started spiking also, thanks alot guys.  In my case, the spikes go up, i have had spike readings of  -100.00 and 41.26 instead of 30.00 range.  Now these readings are taking off of WU and not WL.  When I look at WL on the computer, no spikes are shown for that time frame. 

MY current setup is such that my logger uploads to WU every 15 minutes by using the upload command at the weatherlink.com website.  I am going to try and turn the computer on and have WL do the upload to WU every 5 minutes (which is what I was doing, but was trying to not waste electricity by having the CPU on 100% of the time.)

Steve

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »

Great.  Another big baro spike from around 30.11 to 26.04 and back.  Ok, I don't want to mess up  my Davis consol.  What exact update should I use for this? 
Is there anything I should be careful about?  Firmware version says 04/10/06.

Thanks

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »
Just follow the directions.  I did this and it was a POC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »

I downloading the file.  Do I need to put the console into standby mode first?  Do I need to write down some codes first or something?  I don't want to mess the console up. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »

Updated it.  I will see if this fixes the spikes.  If not I will set the elevation back to zero for 24 hours or so and see what happends and call Davis again. 

Offline HoosierGuy

• Lyford Indiana Weather
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »

And it spiked again!  Is that a sign my console is shot? 

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
Since nothing has fixed it, i would say  yes...

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »
It's time for you to call Davis again and let them figure out what needs to be done. You've done everything you can at this point.

Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes with Davis Support.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
I would be tempted to try a hard reset - remove the batteries etc now that you've updated the firmware.  If that no workie, call Davis.

anything