Author Topic: Adding LED (or?) to shield fan help  (Read 5946 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274
Re: Adding LED (or?) to shield fan help
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi Mick, good to hear from you, hope you are feeling better?

I'm gonna get one of those just to have a play with, a shame they don't use light as a control, would have been perfect to slow the fans down at night. I have 1fan in the Davis shield and 2 in the Apogee effigy I made, I shouldn't mock it, it actually works as good as a the Davis :) but seen as all 3 fans are running 24/7 at full power, that's a fair few watts wasted :(

fan  speed  in automatic  mode  will switch the fan of when it it's the lowest
Temp you set
Mick
Aspiration is mainly for combating solar insolation in light or no wind, not the temperature.

I decided to remove the speed controller from my system and just use a small fan running on a reduced voltage
24/7
I have been monitoring the temperature in a shaded area using a traditional Sheath pattern  thermometer And made sure that the fan is not influencing the aspirated temperature and humidity sensors
So are you saying that running your fan faster made for more inaccurate readings? If so, I certainly don't seem to experience that, actually quite the opposite.

What I'm really saying is all boils down to your location
I disagree but glad you've "solved" your issues.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
Looks like i have the SHT31 sensor

I have now complete the LED mod and it's running great, I can see it from in side the house too :)

Bottom led is power and the top one is fan rotation
If it goes it or flashes like like the bottom one then I know the fan has stopped, thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it :)

Now to think of another hack mod, I have aquired a lot of resistors that need using up lol

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Just like to say, much to my dismay, the LED mod works very well, much so that it look likes the fan has stopped
I had a feeling it didnt have much longer left, it must have finally given out as one of the LEDS has now gone out
either that or that LED has blow, will have to check that 1st....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »
Just like to say, much to my dismay, the LED mod works very well, much so that it look likes the fan has stopped
I had a feeling it didnt have much longer left, it must have finally given out as one of the LEDS has now gone out
either that or that LED has blow, will have to check that 1st....

Hi

Going to  use a MAX6684 Fan-Failure Detector  chip with my fan
Key FeaturesDedicated Fan-Failure DetectorWorks with Ordinary 2-Wire FansNo Fan Tachometer Output RequiredNo Software Development RequiredNo Analog Circuit Design RequiredLogic-Level Fan Driver ControlWorks with Fans Rated Up to 24V/250mA

Will make a very small pcb with inputs and   outputs

Mick
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:51:48 PM by Michaelpt »
weather-above weather station consists of a  1 wire system ,sky ir cloud temperature ,UV,solar home made modules , live data seismic instrument there is  lot of information on modified sensors,  and 1wire projects pleased  sign my guestbook

Mmichael Parry-Thomas
http://www.weather-above.com/wxgraphic/wxgraphic.php

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:48 AM »
That sounds like a good plan Mick, it means it would work with the standard Davis fan
I would be interested  in the schematics once you have created it please?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:08 AM »
Mmm, now puzzled, the led is lit again this morning dying the fan is working again, wonder if the lightning last night gave it a jump start......
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »
Mmm, now puzzled, the led is lit again this morning dying the fan is working again, wonder if the lightning last night gave it a jump start......

Hi
Going to test  my new  circuit out tomorrow
Added  a options for night  mode  LDR is to switch the fan off  automatically

If night mode fan switch off is not needed a jumper is used to disable this

The pcb need (min 3v -  5v dc max) to power the MAX6684 Fan-Failure Detector 
I have put in a 5v  regulator so you  can use a 12v dc or 5v

Just wondering if to have an option to add a 12v fuse on the 12v dc  power input?

What is the max fan mA you use?     

Mick

weather-above weather station consists of a  1 wire system ,sky ir cloud temperature ,UV,solar home made modules , live data seismic instrument there is  lot of information on modified sensors,  and 1wire projects pleased  sign my guestbook

Mmichael Parry-Thomas

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
Hi Mick,

None of my fans state the max mA or any mA for that matter, i know one needed about 1A going by the meter on my psu

Is there an option for lower voltage (slow the fan) instead, some fan movement will be better than none i think

Just wondering if to have an option to add a 12v fuse on the 12v dc  power input?

why? in case of over voltage? wired wrong etc?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:15:36 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2017, 10:07:27 AM »
Hi Mick,

None of my fans state the max mA or any mA for that matter, i know one needed about 1A going by the meter on my psu

Is there an option for lower voltage (slow the fan) instead, some fan movement will be better than none i think

why? in case of over voltage? wired wrong etc?

Power input for fan feed Fuse option will be added

There may be a way to lower the fan voltage which would reduce fan speed this could be activated by using a LDR sensor as soon as the light brightness drops to a certain threshold  ,the fan voltage would drop lowering the fan speed, { is this what you are looking for  night mode )

night-time mode if this is not needed a jumper will disable it

Your Davies fan system is it running from a small solar panel and rechargeable batteries that came with your weather station , ?

Hoping the circuit will be small with options to cover different situations from external power feed to solar panel battery power feed,

My aspirated fan power feed is from a transformer running at 6 V. The Transformer  as different voltage settings up to 12 V this enables me to reduce the speed manually

So for my setup I'm quite happy not having a reduced power setting for night time as I run my fan at a constant speed day and night which works for me and my setup

Would you need one for your Davies station and one for your home-made aspirated screen?

mick

Mmichael Parry-Thomas

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »
Hi Mick

To be honest with you, the idea of lower speeds for night time was just that, an idea, mostly to save a little
on cost and fan wear and tear. I think i will just keep my fan running constant day and night. I am between
0.5 - 1C+ on the met office station, sometimes i am level, but i am mostly above theirs, so i will be changing
the fan to higher cfm when i take it down again.

My fan is running on 12v mains, i optoed for the cheaper daytime fars with the idea to convert it to 24/7 using
the mains, thats the way to go if you do go for Davis, saves you a little :)

I think i will just use one on the Davis, i can hear the OS where it is just by walking up to it as its head height :)

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
Hi Mick

To be honest with you, the idea of lower speeds for night time was just that, an idea, mostly to save a little
on cost and fan wear and tear. I think i will just keep my fan running constant day and night. I am between
0.5 - 1C+ on the met office station, sometimes i am level, but i am mostly above theirs, so i will be changing
the fan to higher cfm when i take it down again.

My fan is running on 12v mains, i optoed for the cheaper daytime fars with the idea to convert it to 24/7 using
the mains, thats the way to go if you do go for Davis, saves you a little :)

I think i will just use one on the Davis, i can hear the OS where it is just by walking up to it as its head height :)

Hi
just updated my webpage with a video on testing the circuit for fan failure detector
using a fan with two wires

http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html
Next stage is to make circuit board and test
mick

Mmichael Parry-Thomas

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2017, 02:32:31 AM »
HI Mick, thanks for the video, just one point, when you stop the fan by hand, slowly turn the fan, once
it hits one of the 4 points see if it will turn off the LED again, could you try that please?

This is why i had to go for flashing LEDS on my mod, flashing because, when the fan is running, one LED
is flashing normally, thats just to show theres power, the other LED (for the fan), looks like constantly lit
because of the speed of the fan, so if the fan fails, it will do 1 of 2 things, either go out or start flashing
depending if its hit one of the 4 thingys (<<scientific term that is) inside the fan or not, it was the only
way i could figure it out :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
HI Mick, thanks for the video, just one point, when you stop the fan by hand, slowly turn the fan, once
it hits one of the 4 points see if it will turn off the LED again, could you try that please?

This is why i had to go for flashing LEDS on my mod, flashing because, when the fan is running, one LED
is flashing normally, thats just to show theres power, the other LED (for the fan), looks like constantly lit
because of the speed of the fan, so if the fan fails, it will do 1 of 2 things, either go out or start flashing
depending if its hit one of the 4 thingys (<<scientific term that is) inside the fan or not, it was the only
way i could figure it out :)

when you stop the fan by hand, slowly turn the fan, once
it hits one of the 4 points see if it will turn off the LED again, could you try that please

Did test slowly turn the fan, led stayed on   :-)

Added a green led to indicate, power on  and if fuse was to, blow led, will go out

Mick

Mmichael Parry-Thomas

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Thats great, sound like progress,

Just a thought, could you add expertise to this thread please?
 Trying to see if we can copy the Davis leaf sensor :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Suffolk Weather
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
Glad I have this led, the led went out today, power one was still flashing so there was sommat up with the fan,

Turned out there was a dry solder joint on the board, all good again :) it works......
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
 =D&gt;
WS-1200-IP | ObserverIP | Meteobridge
WU, PWSWeather - KTXCONRO61
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

anything