Author Topic: Ad blockers  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Ad blockers
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
One more thing though...

we have problems with the external source, but... there is one huge advantage...

I have been using AdBlock for over 5 years. I cannot imagine surfing the web without it and when I sometimes see what the pages actually look like with all the ads on someone else´s PC Im shocked... And I just tried loading 5 of the major Czech news websites with and without AdBlock enabled.

So, just the most popular one as an example:
With AdBlock enabled - 783 kB
With AdBlock disabled - 5.34 MB

And there are even worse examples... it is the ads these days that slow down the otherwise lightweight pages and in this respect we have problems with external data, but at least we dont have to deal with Ads, sometimes even Flash banners etc...

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Ad blockers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »
One more thing though...

we have problems with the external source, but... there is one huge advantage...

I have been using AdBlock for over 5 years. I cannot imagine surfing the web without it and when I sometimes see what the pages actually look like with all the ads on someone else´s PC Im shocked... And I just tried loading 5 of the major Czech news websites with and without AdBlock enabled.

So, just the most popular one as an example:
With AdBlock enabled - 783 kB
With AdBlock disabled - 5.34 MB

And there are even worse examples... it is the ads these days that slow down the otherwise lightweight pages and in this respect we have problems with external data, but at least we dont have to deal with Ads, sometimes even Flash banners etc...

sorry i don't understand Adblock is that a part of your website template or a browser thing ?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
You don´t know AdBlock? :D

It is a browser extension, it blocks all ads. It exists for Chrome, FF, Opera even has it built-in... (has to be enabled though, it is hidden in the settings :D) it is an extension you install to your browser and you will never see any ads again :-) Blocks all banners, ad divs, flash things, everything... it has very sophisticated filters and shows all the content you want and filters out all ads. I cannot imagine being without it really... and everything loads so much faster and is so nice and clean...

Just google it and you will be amazed :D

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »

It is a browser extension, it blocks all ads. It exists for Chrome, FF, Opera even has it built-in... (has to be enabled though, it is hidden in the settings :D) it is an extension you install to your browser and you will never see any ads again :-) Blocks all banners, ad divs, flash things, everything... it has very sophisticated filters and shows all the content you want and filters out all ads. I cannot imagine being without it really... and everything loads so much faster and is so nice and clean...

no sorry m8 no idea never needed it IOS/Mac User . just turn off website tracking ,BLOCK pop up windows ,flash doesnt load/display in Safari . hence no idea what it is or never needed something like that .

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »

no sorry m8 no idea never needed it IOS/Mac User . just turn off website tracking ,BLOCK pop up windows ,flash doesnt load/display in Safari . hence no idea what it is or never needed something like that .

Brian this is not just to block popups, flash etc. It blocks all adsense things, everything that is not related to the website you are viewing. Until you see it you will probably not see how great it is...

In a nutshell - it is as if you took HTML of a website, deleted all references of ads (pictures, scripts, ad text) and loaded just the website text, images etc. directly related to the website you are viewing. And in your case in particular I think it would be twice as useful if you have limited speed. Some websites load several fold faster.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »

Brian this is not just to block popups, flash etc. It blocks all adsense things, everything that is not related to the website you are viewing. Until you see it you will probably not see how great it is...

In a nutshell - it is as if you took HTML of a website, deleted all references of ads (pictures, scripts, ad text) and loaded just the website text, images etc. directly related to the website you are viewing. And in your case in particular I think it would be twice as useful if you have limited speed. Some websites load several fold faster.

perhaps another thread about Ad blockers ? thanks for the info

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
It is a browser extension, it blocks all ads.
Unfortunately I've been running across more and more sites that refuse to load at all if they sense any kind of ad blocking, including AdBlock. Tried it a while back and had to take it down. Seems something always gets in the way of consumer rights...
John
W7JKG

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
I know about one page where it is impossible to overcome and in such case you just right click and add it as exception and it does not run on that page.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
I know about one page where it is impossible to overcome and in such case you just right click and add it as exception and it does not run on that page.
Understood, but more than just one for me. That makes ad blockers useless for me because many of my favorites would need the exception which means no more favorites.
John
W7JKG

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
I use uBlock Origin. I did use AdblockPlus before but found uBlock much better.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 05:33:42 AM »
Its not just for ad blocking either, I use adblock to hide useless 'non-advert' elements of pages on many sites too. For instance many forums have huge amounts of information in the header and the actual content starts halfway down the first screen. With adblock it is easy to right click on the elements you don't want to see every time you visit and 'block' them. Gives a much cleaner experience.

Fortunately I don't have to do it on this forum  ;)

Ooops, tell a lie, I do block the topmost element with the logo on the left and the tiny images on the right! Sorry Ken, very pretty and great for new visitors, but its just wasted space after your 1000th visit!  :oops:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:38:03 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:16:49 AM »
It is a browser extension, it blocks all ads.
Unfortunately I've been running across more and more sites that refuse to load at all if they sense any kind of ad blocking, including AdBlock. Tried it a while back and had to take it down. Seems something always gets in the way of consumer rights...

Go here:  https://adblockplus.org/forum/index.php

Pick the section for your browser.  List the trouble sites.  They can usually defeat the blocker blockers.  If so, they'll post a snippet of code to add as a custom filter.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 07:18:32 AM »
Weird thread though.  Like it was a part of something else, somewhere else.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
Weird thread though.  Like it was a part of something else, somewhere else.

LOL,  yes it was,  but it was off topic there so Ken moved it here

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »

Ooops, tell a lie, I do block the

I've got a LOT of stuff here blocked which is why I didn't see this thread.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
I use uBlock Origin. I did use AdblockPlus before but found uBlock much better.

I started using uBlock myself, based on a recommendation from Firefox. No problems with it so far.

I was getting a fake Firefox "update" on eBay and uBlock was their (real FF) advice. I don't know how this fake malware "update" got into eBay, and why eBay doesn't fix it on their servers. It has a very realistic Firefox screen. The giveaway, as always was the bogus link. (I never click links from unsolicited web pages or emails anyways)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »

Thanks for the funniest post that I've read all week!!!  I personally feel that Safari on the Mac is even worse than Internet Exploiter on Windows, and only use it to test that a web site I'm visiting is actually broken and not just malfunctioning due to my ad and javascript blockers in Chrome.

I try not to use the web on iOS, since Chrome doesn't support plugins and the ads drive me crazy.  There are ad blockers for iOS, but they either work by passing all traffic through a proxy (not desirable) or setting up a bogus VPN profile (which would probably clobber my real 24/7 privacy VPN functionality).

The javascript blocker is actually more important than ad-blocking to me.  I don't use or view Facebook/Twitter content, so why are  75% of the web sites that I visit loading javascript from one or both?!?!?  Talk about spyware!  I often wonder if the NSA isn't sponsoring them both to track where everyone is going or reading?  Well worth the effort of "training" the script blocker, IMHO.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 09:17:28 AM »
I don't use or view Facebook/Twitter content, so why are  75% of the web sites that I visit loading javascript from one or both?!?!? 

That's one of the things I block here and I'm quite highly offended and annoyed that it was allowed to infest this site.  I also have both of those URLs in a Deny table in my router/modem.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
I agree, on the other hand, if someone wants to stay absolutely secure, anonymous etc. then the only option is throwing your PC out of the window - or even that wont help, you would not have to start using Internet in the first place and even then Im sure there would be some info about you somewhere posted there by someone else...

Just a random example... I recently asked one of my friends when is her B-day. She said she wont tell me :D And she intentionally didnt provide it on any of her FB etc. profiles. Well... took me about 5 minutes to find it... it was actually posted on a page listing blood donors (she gave blood 2yrs ago)... this of course is probably breach of personal privacy, but the point is that this will always happen and happen at places where you would not expect it.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Use a hosts file to block things like ads and a batch file set to turn it off and on.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

Thanks for the funniest post that I've read all week!!!  I personally feel that Safari on the Mac is even worse than Internet Exploiter on Windows, and only use it to test that a web site I'm visiting is actually broken and not just malfunctioning due to my ad and javascript blockers in Chrome.

I try not to use the web on iOS, since Chrome doesn't support plugins and the ads drive me crazy.  There are ad blockers for iOS, but they either work by passing all traffic through a proxy (not desirable) or setting up a bogus VPN profile (which would probably clobber my real 24/7 privacy VPN functionality).

The javascript blocker is actually more important than ad-blocking to me.  I don't use or view Facebook/Twitter content, so why are  75% of the web sites that I visit loading javascript from one or both?!?!?  Talk about spyware!  I often wonder if the NSA isn't sponsoring them both to track where everyone is going or reading?  Well worth the effort of "training" the script blocker, IMHO.....

hello

glad it made you smile rather than make you cringe at my ignorance or lack of knowledge (with no dark sarcasm in the classroom) , but seriously I have no use or need to add a blocker of any kind , I have multiple mac based machines, tablets, phone and so on and never seen the need to be concerned about blocking anything. Now as for windows , I bought a windows laptop brand spanking new Dell super duper intel processor(that was supposed to take me to the darkside of the moon) 8gb of ram (that should gave me that wish you were here feeling) etc last year as I thought I would try and go back to a windows based OS , i kept it 3 days and returned it(it felt like the wall) , i literally spent 3 days of  closing annoyying pop up windows and annoying  other nag screens (finally my hands felt just like two balloons) . This experience I have not had in 10 years using a MAC based OS and thats the truth (I have become comfortably numb.) I'm not irritated by ads what get sup my nose is those the take over your desktop or device your using.

So as for Safari i don't have your issues whilst surfing the net be on any device or machine I use. So there you are I have NO need or requirement personally.(perhaps on you can guess what I have been listening to all day)..take care brian

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:58:41 AM by weatherist34 »

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
Quite apt for 'merica at the mo...

...Mother, should I build the wall?
Mother, should I run for president?
Mother, should I trust the government?
Mark

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »
Quite apt for 'merica at the mo...

...Mother, should I build the wall?
Mother, should I run for president?
Mother, should I trust the government?

hahaha great minds think alike :-)

Feel the bile rising from your guilty past
With your nerves in tatters as the cockle shell shatters
And the hammers batter down the door
You better run.....They're gonna send you back to Mother ...

brian
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:16:38 PM by weatherist34 »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

hello

glad it made you smile rather than make you cringe at my ignorance or lack of knowledge (with no dark sarcasm in the classroom) , but seriously I have no use or need to add a blocker of any kind , I have multiple mac based machines, tablets, phone and so on and never seen the need to be concerned about blocking anything. Now as for windows , I bought a windows laptop brand spanking new Dell super duper intel processor(that was supposed to take me to the darkside of the moon) 8gb of ram (that should gave me that wish you were here feeling) etc last year as I thought I would try and go back to a windows based OS , i kept it 3 days and returned it(it felt like the wall) , i literally spent 3 days of  closing annoyying pop up windows and annoying  other nag screens (finally my hands felt just like two balloons) . This experience I have not had in 10 years using a MAC based OS and thats the truth (I have become comfortably numb.) I'm not irritated by ads what get sup my nose is those the take over your desktop or device your using.

So as for Safari i don't have your issues whilst surfing the net be on any device or machine I use. So there you are I have NO need or requirement personally.(perhaps on you can guess what I have been listening to all day)..take care brian

Brian even if you dont mind the ads I think it would be very useful to you in particular, since not once you mentioned you often have slower connection. It is a bit contradicting that on one hand you post very useful info about how to shrink page size, but the fact that 80% of today's normal webpages (not personal) are ad bloatware does not really concern you. What use does it have if a page has minified JS and zipped images and SVG sprites, which save a few kbs, and then a huge ad in the background 1MB large...

With regards to Win... I agree 200%! I have Win7 at work and I hate it - though I hate it just like I hate Macs - I have nothing against people using it, Im not saying it is a bad OS or bad devices - it is just not my cup of coffee. And Im not like one of those haters who just say they dont like it because it is Apple. At uni we had to use Macs and I had an iPhone borrowed from a friend for 3 weeks and the longer I had it the more I disliked it.

I use Linux at home and my mobile OS of choice would definitely be Android. I use Google for everything (mail, maps, GDrive etc.).

I think that Mac is a good OS, well optimized, just like Linux. The fact I dont like it is just because we are all different.

However, with Windows, I really think it is extremely poorly designed and made OS and that is a relatively objective statement. And it is surprising that it is so given how many people use it.

I hate exactly what you mentioned, some stupid popups all the time, notifications... and the absolute worst thing - Windows Updates.... I could never get my head around this. I click updates, it takes usually several hours to "find them" - find what?! Shouldnt this be just a simple comparison of what I have installed and what is available? Shouldnt this take about 2s just like it does on my Linux? Then validating updates, then installing them - usually several times because it always fails the first time - then several restarts, then another update check - very often yet new updates are found and finally after maybe 2 days of this running in the background you are "up-to-date", this state usually lasts  for about a day or two... which is why I of course turned the autoupdates off, but in Win10 it gets a lot more complicated.

Just to give you an idea - even on my laptop with over 10yr old technology, searching for updates on Linux takes 2s, then installation usually a few minutes max, completely done in the background, with no need to restart etc. And my guess is it probably works similarly on Macs.

Im really glad how badly MS failed with mobile OS. Otherwise we would have another useless system, which people would use only because it would be widespread.