Author Topic: Recommendations please  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
Recommendations please
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
 I am looking for an IP/weather cam to add to my weather station. My Bloomsky only takes pictures during the day and at five minute intervals. I have looked at the Foscam and Amcrest cameras and they seem to be all right. Do any of you own and operate one of these two cameras is there a better camera on the market that you could recommend? I would like to stay with a wifi camera instead of a PoE type

Offline mikemm

• Enthusiast
    • Weather Underground PWS
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »
I've been using the AmbientCamHD for about a year now.  It has been working quite well, and of course its really just a re-branded Foscam.  I'm even able to control the webcam's settings from the Meteobridge on a daily basis to adjust for daytime vs nighttime video quality.

Be sure to change the password for ANY webcam.  The big internet outage last week was in-part caused by webcams on-the-net with the factory default password left in-place.
CWOP ID: EW8360, WU/PWS: KCASANDI503
Ambient 2902C Sensors | WS2000 Console | Dahua 5MP Low-lux WeatherCam | MeteoBridge & Raspberry Pi | APC UPS
Web sites: WU, Ambient+Cam, PWS, Windy+Cam

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
I'll second the OP's request.
The Bloomsky has proven to be very unreliable and at most I get a half days pictures.
Really want to move on to something more reliable.
Completely in the dark about these things so any suggestions would help.
I do like the idea of it being wifi capable.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:40:43 PM by ocala »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:23:56 AM »
Bloomsky is a toy,a limited use camera.  Yes, I would love to be able to tap and get the sky pictures, upload it to my site and I can there is an ifttt thing that allows images to go to your google drive, but I know what you are saying.  It isn't as accurate as one of the formal stations such as along the Davis line and others. (I used to know of a bunch).

I use the bloomsky more for my entertainment.   

I have a Foscam and can access the image  from the camera.   If you go that route, go to Amcrest as they are the local guys with the similar product.   I guess it is how much you have to invest.  These are IP cameras.  Wireless, but there are the hardwired type and they are equally good.   I use the Foscam app to send images to WeatherUnderground and then have that image embedded in my alternate site http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weatherlink/

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »
I'll second mikemm as I have 3 AmbientCam HDs and they are a great choice to me as they are relatively inexpensive ($135 on Amazon) and the picture quality at 1280x720 is quite good.

They also have survived searing heat here in AZ as well which was one of my concerns.

I do notice they are selling an "HDA" model now instead of my "HD" ones but not sure what the difference is, if any.

You can see all 3 of my AmbientCam HD's on my website - www.surpriseazweather.com if you want to check picture quality.   

Night vision isn't the greatest but since these are for weather and not for security it doesn't matter that much to me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:29:21 AM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »
Thanks for your responses.
Sundevil can't access your site at the moment. I'll try later.
A little surfing last night brought up these 2 cams.
https://amcrest.com/security-cameras-for-home-and-business/amcrest-3mp-bullet-wifi-video-security-ip-camera-pt-ip3m-943b.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Wifi-PTZ-5-Zoom-IR-Cut-HD-P2P-IP-Camera-Onvif-Outdoor-Waterproof-Sricam-/112174864018?hash=item1a1e249692:g:GPMAAOSwB09YCY9q
I know one of these is a PTZ. Not sure if I want that yet or not. 
Is 2MP a whole lot better then 1MP? Would like something with a decent picture.
What does FPS have to do with picture quality?
Can most cams offer a time lapse feature or is this done with extra software?
Looking to avoid paying for web space. The Amcrest above has an option for that.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
Remember that a PTZ camera like that will not be able to go much above the horizon so if you want to point it at the sky you will not be able to.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
Remember that a PTZ camera like that will not be able to go much above the horizon so if you want to point it at the sky you will not be able to.

It depends on the PTZ and how you mount it.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »

It depends on the PTZ and how you mount it.

I've owned the type that they posted to. There is only one way to mount it and the camera movement is always horizontal and below. If you mount it "upside down" you open it up to water intrusion since it is not designed to be mounted that way.

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
I am looking for an IP/weather cam to add to my weather station. My Bloomsky only takes pictures during the day and at five minute intervals. I have looked at the Foscam and Amcrest cameras and they seem to be all right. Do any of you own and operate one of these two cameras is there a better camera on the market that you could recommend? I would like to stay with a wifi camera instead of a PoE type

Foscam is okay but they don't last very long by my experience.
I use several brands (Axis, Dahua, ACTi) for security cameras.
For your use I'd take a look at ACTi. They are good quality and some of them aren't too expensive. Mine have been running 7 years without issue.
The problem, though, is they need to be Ethernet wired.
It seems there aren't many good quality wireless IP cameras.

Offline mikemm

• Enthusiast
    • Weather Underground PWS
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 02:03:40 AM »
Is 2MP a whole lot better then 1MP? Would like something with a decent picture.
What does FPS have to do with picture quality?
Can most cams offer a time lapse feature or is this done with extra software?
So understand that the camera you choose can be used to stream live, or to take a repeating snapshot, or both at the same time.  There are different additional specifications for streaming beyond those for baseline picture quality that you would see in a snapshot.

So yes a 2MP camera will have effectively twice the picture quality of a 1MP camera and will render nicer snapshots and nicer streams.  FPS (frames per second) is a specification only for streaming mode, and a higher frame rate will make the stream appear more "live" and less jumpy. 

However, a 2MP camera at a high frame rate will consume alot of your WiFi bandwidth, and really will only be useful for you personally.  Thats because your internet connection is not as fast as your WiFi connection, and if you spend a lot more for high resolution and fast streaming, well all those expensive extras are not going to make it through the internet connection at full rate.

So you really need to first decide what you intend to use the weather camera for, and how you plan to use it personally.  Is it just for your personal use (then buy the best you can), or do you plan to make it public?  If public, are you going to let access to the stream be public, or just snapshots like as is sent to Weather Underground? (then spending for a high-end camera will therefore be a waste of money over your internet connection)

Also, consider security, since these types of cameras were hijacked and used to bring down Twitter, etc last week.  If you allow the public direct access to your stream over the internet (since you'd have to create a port forwarding through your router), then your camera can therefore also be attacked over the internet.  Same if you let a PTZ function be directly accessible to the public; your camera can be attacked and many cameras (including Foscam's) have flaws and backdoors.

You may think: "well how can they find my camera at my IP address? ... there are so many of them."  There is a "google"-like search engine web site that literally repeated scans EVERY IP address (all 4 billion of them), and records information about everything that is publicly accessible at each IP Address.  For example (and this has been done already), you can search this site for all IP addresses that have publicly attached to them a specific make and model of a baby monitor that has a flawed fixed-password backdoor; then voila, you can log into each of those baby monitors and well watch the baby (or sometimes quite a bit of adult activity since a lot of baby monitors are not used to monitor babies).  If you have a camera or anything else that is not "stealthed" behind your router, you are already in this search engine.

There are online services that can let the public have access to your stream or snapshots from the camera because they act as a go-between the public and your camera.  Thus attackers would have to break into that online service first to eventually get to your camera.  But that extra safety usually comes at a monthly cost.
-------------------------------
In my personal weather station gear, I have my local Meteobridge "sample" my AmbientCamHD image every 30 seconds and send the resultant JPG to the Weather Underground every 30 seconds.  (The Meteobridge has a built-in feature for that.)  Thus my AmbientCamHD is not on the internet itself and cannot be attacked from the internet; nor does my camera even connect via FTP to any sites over the internet.  Attackers would have to first break into my local Meteobridge (but it too is not port-forwarded on my router and cannot be directly attacked). 

But since my AmbientCamHD on my personal encrypted local WiFi, I can use the Foscam App on Android and iOS and personally view the live stream at full rate and quality.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:21:54 AM by mikemm »
CWOP ID: EW8360, WU/PWS: KCASANDI503
Ambient 2902C Sensors | WS2000 Console | Dahua 5MP Low-lux WeatherCam | MeteoBridge & Raspberry Pi | APC UPS
Web sites: WU, Ambient+Cam, PWS, Windy+Cam

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »
Thank you mikemm. Definitely answered a few questions.
This will be for personal use only.
You mentioned that my internet connection is not as fast as my wifi connection.
By that did you mean that someone downstream would not be viewing it at the same rate  I would locally?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
Yes, weak passwords and streaming on WWW opens door for hackers using camera forwarded ports.

Just uploading images via ftp I don't think opens the door for hackers but having camera running on forwarded port opens the door. (Strong passwords help but if camera security is weak doesn't matter).
I'm not streaming anymore because the program I was using webcam 7 had issues (memory leak) updates incompatible and little support.

Randy

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
Yes, weak passwords and streaming on WWW opens door for hackers using camera forwarded ports.

Just uploading images via ftp I don't think opens the door for hackers but having camera running on forwarded port opens the door. (Strong passwords help but if camera security is weak doesn't matter).
I'm not streaming anymore because the program I was using webcam 7 had issues (memory leak) updates incompatible and little support.

Blue Iris is a really nice program if you're haven't checked it out...

I don't live stream due to the inherent security risks but I use Blue Iris to ftp images to my website where I store 90 days worth of images.

I also pay for premium support for update and the program is constantly updated...

ocala says he cannot get my site to come up the last couple of days, anyone else having issues with the site?  Link in forum sig.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:38:59 PM by sundevil01010101 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »
Yes I've been recommending BI for some time. Only problem its resource heavy. I also use it to FTP my Hikvision cameras because the built-in ftp won't overwrite older image, all it wants to do is add its own image number. I don't know enough about script writing to make my own script so allow BI do it.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »

anyone else having issues with the site?
A little bit late, but your MT site is opening for me.

Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
The Amcrest I am looking at says it has a FOV of 100 degrees.
If I understand this right does that mean that in the zoomed out position looking directly south at 180 degrees the FOV will be 50 degrees either side of 180. So I'll be able to see from 130 SE to 230 SW?

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
The Amcrest I am looking at says it has a FOV of 100 degrees.
If I understand this right does that mean that in the zoomed out position looking directly south at 180 degrees the FOV will be 50 degrees either side of 180. So I'll be able to see from 130 SE to 230 SW?

Yes that math works 😃

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
Going back and forth but since I have to run power to it anyway I was thinking of getting a POE.
If I understand this right I have to get a poe injector to go this route because the camera does not come with one.
So I assume I plug the power adapter into this injector. I have a cable coming from the router which plugs into this injector. Another cable coming out of the injector which goes to the cam.
Is this the correct set up with poe?
Again bare with me. This is all very new.