Author Topic: Soil temperature sensor  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Soil temperature sensor
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
I noticed today that my 36 inch temperature probe isn't registering. ARGHHHHHh.    That is fixable, but I don't have yet (maybe tomorrow) another probe to make sure that it is the probe and not the station.    Rather than auger ,  I might , if it is the probe,  shove it down the pvc pipe and it will work.   

Always something with these stations.   I  ordered a couple of probes from Scaled Instruments. I have a new in the box backup soil station.  yet..  sheesh.

Just yesterday i got a console message that the battery was  low. it is solar powered, so i guess maybe not enough sun got to  the supercap.   I got about six months of life out of that battery, or it may be one of those wait until the ground dries out and replace.

This hobby is like eating potato chips.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Soil temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »

I like that... :)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
the sensor came back on.   I am guessing a bad splice.   It got real cold last night and now the sun is on the station, and we have life.   I did have to solder a lead on this one.   I am guessing that is one place to look.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

The FRITO-LAY™ syndrome: "...you can't eat have just ONE!..."

...unfortunately, it applies to both successes as well as problems (wink,wink).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:55:21 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »

Never truer words ever spoken

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »

I had to google "FRITO-LAY", because I had no clue what it meant. From Wikipedia I quote a part:

'Frito-Lay, Inc. (stylized as FritoLay) is an American subsidiary of PepsiCo that manufactures, markets and sells corn chips, potato chips and other snack foods. The primary snack food brands produced under the Frito-Lay name include Fritos corn chips, Cheetos cheese-flavored snacks, Doritos and Tostitos tortilla chips, Lay's and Ruffles potato chips, Rold Gold pretzels and Walkers potato crisps (in the UK and Ireland),...

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

i thought Frito  Lay was something that a certain presidential wannabee  might do to someone from Latin America back on the locker room bus.  Silly me?

I had to google "FRITO-LAY", because I had no clue what it meant. From Wikipedia I quote a part:

'Frito-Lay, Inc. (stylized as FritoLay) is an American subsidiary of PepsiCo that manufactures, markets and sells corn chips, potato chips and other snack foods. The primary snack food brands produced under the Frito-Lay name include Fritos corn chips, Cheetos cheese-flavored snacks, Doritos and Tostitos tortilla chips, Lay's and Ruffles potato chips, Rold Gold pretzels and Walkers potato crisps (in the UK and Ireland),...

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:51:24 PM »
Wouldn't one expect it.   I got the replacement sensor in today.  the one down 3 feet is working.   Yesterday, I went out and removed the self-laminating tape around the unit.   I wiggled the wires where I had the splice (I used crimp connectors and put over that heat shrinkable tubing, then wrapped it all up ).   It looked just fine.   I should get some of that electronic cold spray and hit the connections, but then again..  going to monitor it.  and going to run the new probe down the pvc pipe

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
I noticed today that my 36 inch temperature probe isn't registering. ARGHHHHHh.    That is fixable, but I don't have yet (maybe tomorrow) another probe to make sure that it is the probe and not the station.    Rather than auger ,  I might , if it is the probe,  shove it down the pvc pipe and it will work.   

Always something with these stations.   I  ordered a couple of probes from Scaled Instruments. I have a new in the box backup soil station.  yet..  sheesh.

Just yesterday i got a console message that the battery was  low. it is solar powered, so i guess maybe not enough sun got to  the supercap.   I got about six months of life out of that battery, or it may be one of those wait until the ground dries out and replace.

What do you learn from a soil sensor in the ground three feet deep? Are you worried about pipes, maybe sprinkler system pipes, freezing, or is this another data point you have vs. my data points? By the way, I like potato chips too!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
With soil sensors 3 feet deep  I can monitor in the winter the degree of soil freezing. I do have them at 4,12,24 and 36.  You can see when the moisture readings approach 200, so you do see the rate of freezing and the temperature.  This year with all the rain we've had here,should it go colder (for example the nuclear winter we have after Trump gives N. Korea the finger then says he didn't but meant it for China...)   it might freeze down to 12 inches .   I am certain that Squinnie out side would be concerned how deep the cold is when making a winter burrow.

Potato chips are good,   around here we have the kettle cooked yuppy.  I like the traditional.  Pringles in a bind.  Of course since the wife has had trouble with her pancreas  the fat around here is limited.   I do have an Irish cheese soaked in whisky for me.    Tipsy mice.