Author Topic: Acurite 5n1 to replace Ambient WS-1400-IP?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Acurite 5n1 to replace Ambient WS-1400-IP?
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
I've had the ambient WS-1400 IP for about a year and a half. I live in southeast PA and between the hours of 3-8 PM I get temperature spikes of 4-5 degrees when the sun is out. During the middle of the day I'm fine because the unit itself shields the temp sensor. Unfortunately, when the sun starts to go down, the radiation shield just can't handle it (even though Ed at ambient claimed the radiation shield is sufficient).

I don't have time to tinker with making a custom radiation shield so I'm thinking of buying the acurite 5n1 at my local Costco for $79. I've read many threads here about both units (each have their issues) , but does anyone prefer one over the other? Will the acurite 5n1 have a noticeable difference in temp compared to my ambient? Would be helpful if someone had both units and could explain their experience.

Thank you

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite 5n1 to replace Ambient WS-1400-IP?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
The ambient doesn't spike as the sun comes up? Most stations with poor shields tend to show it as the sun is at lower angles the most. Can you maybe turn the sensor a bit to move it more towards the north from it's westerly direction? (the shield part)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
The ambient doesn't spike as the sun comes up? Most stations with poor shields tend to show it as the sun is at lower angles the most. Can you maybe turn the sensor a bit to move it more towards the north from it's westerly direction? (the shield part)

For some reason the spikes aren't nearly as bad in the morning. Perhaps because it's generally a little cooler? Not sure if that would cause spikes to not be as extreme. I don't believe I can rotate the shield itself. Though will have to take a look. I appreciate the thought.m

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
There are ambient stations around me, and only one of them spikes, and it's in the morning. This leads me to wonder if the shield can be adjusted, or something else?

Offline rcowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
If your worried about temperature spikes, you do not want the Acurite. I have a 5n1 sitting about 5 feet away from a VP2 and it is consistently 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the VP2. Most of the ambient stations I see close by do really well. I would take DoctorKnow suggestion, and see if ya can work with the ambient. If it has been up for a year, probably needs a cleaning too.

Offline ReDave

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
I've had my 1400IP for several months,   and where i live it is damn hot      pretty much every day from about may to Sept..     I've not noticed any spikes.  its not s smooth line,  but we are up against a mountain side that i'm sure breezes from it cause some minor changes.
I am now curious if [then things finally cool down] I'll see any spikes later this year.
I've been real happy with my 1400 so far.