Author Topic: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced  (Read 55341 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »

https://www.acurite.com/learn/my-acurite

Not everything is covered in much detail, though, but it's a start.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Re: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »
Wow I must say i'am impressed! Cant wait for this.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:24:41 AM by Adrian23 »

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »
The interface looks a lot nicer and more modern, so to speak.  From reading forums, it sounds like the Acurite user community is craving faster update times to weather underground without using third-party software, myself included.  I guess it follows the trend of society today with needing to know now.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
Certainly looking good.  :)  I am pretty pumped about some of the new sensors - hopefully they will work with the Internet bridge.  Maybe I will start a thread on them?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Certainly looking good.  :)  I am pretty pumped about some of the new sensors - hopefully they will work with the Internet bridge.  Maybe I will start a thread on them?

I believe some of those sensors are already are already on the market.  They haven't been made compatible with MBW.

There's a good reason for that, if you catch my drift. ;)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
So they will come out with a new "bridge pro" I expect...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
So they will come out with a new "bridge pro" I expect...

You didn't quite catch my drift.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »

Didn't read anything about new sensors...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »

Didn't read anything about new sensors...

I guess they're not explicitly listed, but look on this page for the sensors marked "new" : https://www.acurite.com/accessories-parts.html

You'll need to scroll to the right.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
So director on acurite forum said faster then 5 min updates coming..the current 15 min update to WU is absurd. look forward to this.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
So director on acurite forum said faster then 5 min updates coming..the current 15 min update to WU is absurd. look forward to this.

Larry just spilled the beans so I guess I can say a little more about it.

I haven't actually timed the transmissions, but we're looking somewhere between 18 and 36 seconds.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »
Not bad at all, nothing unique, but definitely a welcomed improvement for Acurite users

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »

Larry just spilled the beans so I guess I can say a little more about it.

I haven't actually timed the transmissions, but we're looking somewhere between 18 and 36 seconds.

Um woah awesome! So what will happen to my meteobridge? Still use it? New platform will also produce gusts?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
And lets hope it will also be an impulse for Davis and their WL, because the 10min interval there is also useless for for example wind speed or gust (and even better if they finally enabled FTP uploads to own server :D)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
Um woah awesome! So what will happen to my meteobridge? Still use it? New platform will also produce gusts?

Current third-party solutions will have to adapt to some changes.  It shouldn't be a big deal, though.

But as far as WU rapid-fire is concerned, you won't need any third-party solution.

As to specific features, I can't say yet.  It's always possible some features might not make the initial release date, but I'm hopeful they'll have things ready.  (I'm not even sure when the official release day is.)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 07:38:24 PM »

Current third-party solutions will have to adapt to some changes.  It shouldn't be a big deal, though.

But as far as WU rapid-fire is concerned, you won't need any third-party solution.

As to specific features, I can't say yet.  It's always possible some features might not make the initial release date, but I'm hopeful they'll have things ready.  (I'm not even sure when the official release day is.)

So no need to remove anything I currently have installed? So I will have rapid-fire without need to have pc on all the time Not a fan of that at all.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
And lets hope it will also be an impulse for Davis and their WL, because the 10min interval there is also useless for for example wind speed or gust (and even better if they finally enabled FTP uploads to own server :D)
Ummm, what? I wait 10 minutes for nothing. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to. :?:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »
As far as I know WP-Link only updates WU every 10 minutes and does not allow you to send data to anywhere else, like your own server for example.

And yes they do have their own API at wl.com, but it is not the cheapest and more importantly, there is for example no wind gust. I just had a guy asking me about it. The problem is that it only tells you the daily max gust, but for current data it only gives you "average wind speed"

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:12 PM »
As far as I know WP-Link only updates WU every 10 minutes and does not allow you to send data to anywhere else, like your own server for example.

And yes they do have their own API at wl.com, but it is not the cheapest and more importantly, there is for example no wind gust. I just had a guy asking me about it. The problem is that it only tells you the daily max gust, but for current data it only gives you "average wind speed"
OK, I see the miscommunication, you're referring to WL-IP. I don't use that as I gave it back for the USB version which will send data every 1 minute if one chooses to, or WU rapid fire for the instant feed.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
Yes, sorry I should have made that clear.

That wind gust is really a problem. Because since the data in my template is logged every 5 minutes, the only thing I can use for the gust is the wind speed average, i.e. the same number as for wind. And then obviously the highest wind speed of the day is missing. WL only gives the maximum value for the day, but that is one number, so I cannot assign it to one particular time of the day, plus if you do for example stats by hours, you simply miss the highest speeds...

But thats OT :D

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:54 PM »
So no need to remove anything I currently have installed? So I will have rapid-fire without need to have pc on all the time Not a fan of that at all.

Oh, wait.  Are you currently using a USB console and meteobridge to report to the internet? 

If so, the transition plan may be different.  I'll have to think about that and ask Larry about that particular setup.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »

Oh, wait.  Are you currently using a USB console and meteobridge to report to the internet? 

If so, the transition plan may be different.  I'll have to think about that and ask Larry about that particular setup.

" No usb " just meteobridge and aculink bridge connected to my internet router. Now you got my concerned.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »

" No usb " just meteobridge and aculink bridge connected to my router. Now you got my concerned.

OK.  That configuration I understand.  Just to be safe, you'll want to remove meteobridge and have your Aculink bridge connected directly to your router.  There's going to be a lot of things going on with the bridge during the transition process, and you don't want any possibility of that being disrupted (or you might end up with a brick).   

Assuming the meteobridge gets updated to understand the new setup, you can put it back in.  You may need to do that to report to other weather networks that are not supported by Acurite (e.g. CWOP).

In your setup, you won't need a PC on at all.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »

" No usb " just meteobridge and aculink bridge connected to my router. Now you got my concerned.

OK.  That configuration I understand.  Just to be safe, you'll want to remove meteobridge and have your Aculink bridge connected directly to your router.  There's going to be a lot of things going on with the bridge during the transition process, and you don't want any possibility of that being disrupted (or you might end up with a brick).   

Assuming the meteobridge gets updated to understand the new setup, you can put it back in.  You may need to do that to report to other weather networks that are not supported by Acurite (e.g. CWOP).

In your setup, you won't need a PC on at all.

Ok so if I understand you want me  to disconnect my meteobridge and connect the aculink bridge directly to me router on the release day when I update into the new platform? Reporting to CWOP is very important to me so what will happen to that? When exactly do I reconnect the meteobridge again cause aculink bridge as you said does not support CWOP and other 3rd party sites. Sorry for all the questions and again thx for your help.

You asked Larry about this?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:45:18 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »
Ok so if I understand you want me  to disconnect my meteobridge and connect the aculink bridge directly to me router on the release day when I update into the new platform? Reporting to CWOP is very important to me so what will happen to that? When exactly do I reconnect the meteobridge again cause aculink bridge as you said does not support CWOP and other 3rd party sites. Sorry for all the questions and again thx for your help.

That's something you'll need to discuss with the author/maker of meteobridge.  He'll need to adapt his code to the changes. Maybe he's in the loop already.  I don't know.

I don't think you'll be forced to switch on any particular day.  Transitioning will probably occur over a couple of months,  so you should have some time to coordinate whatever needs to be done on the meteobridge side to avoid a lot of downtime.

anything