Author Topic: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced  (Read 55342 times)

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
Re: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
I am saying this especially because it just happened 2 weeks ago, that Google Maps API changed and now requires an API key. Thats fine, I can understand why Google did that, but... it needs changes to be made in the scripts and they sort of didnt think this through carefully. They give you 3 months to fix this, ie. it works for another 90 days, just showing you notification you need to make that change. But there are three groups of people, and one has a problem:

[OT]
I don't understand why you are complaining about GMaps. The requirement for API-key have been there for long time but they haven't put it in force before now.
[/OT]

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
OK I was not aware of this.

I agree that if someone uses something through reverse-engineering, and an equivalent example for web would be using HTML scraping instead of dedicated API, then obviously it is a different situation and I can understand it.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
I am saying this especially because it just happened 2 weeks ago, that Google Maps API changed and now requires an API key. Thats fine, I can understand why Google did that, but... it needs changes to be made in the scripts and they sort of didnt think this through carefully. They give you 3 months to fix this, ie. it works for another 90 days, just showing you notification you need to make that change. But there are three groups of people, and one has a problem:

[OT]
I don't understand why you are complaining about GMaps. The requirement for API-key have been there for long time but they haven't put it in force before now.
[/OT]

OT: Yes, well thats the thing, it was not really a "requirement". And many people did not even know there is something like API key for the maps, since it worked out-of-the box without it. And for some it can be quite difficult to set it up in the Google developer´s console, I must admit it is very confusing there. And again, I completely agree with this change, just that they should have announced they will be forcing it more in advance. But lets get back to the topic of this thread :D

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
Thanks!  But someone should tell Chaney that "SmartHUB" is a trademarked by several other companies for other HW, SW and apps.  It is kind of a nonsensical name any way; reminds me of a bicycle part.  Shoulda been named something to do with weather and home monitoring.  My $0.02

I'm not a big fan of the name, but it's somewhat descriptive as it is the "hub" of the sensors and it's "smarter" than the bridge.  (It does it's own math!)

"Bridge" wasn't a great name, either.

If they need change it, I'm sure they will.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »
I am certain 3rd party developers, like Meteobridge, will revise their products to work with the new AcuRite site.  It might take a little while, but it will happen. Many folks (including me) have added MB or Ambient's Weather Bridge to their AcuRite systems.  I don't think there is anything to fear as far as obsolescence is concerned.

I posted a query for Boris on the Meteobridge forum asking whether he was aware of the coming change (I'm sure he is) and whether he intended to revise MB to accommodate it.  Haven't heard back yet, but I will post here when I do.

Anyway, the new site is a big, big improvement and I'm sure it will be well received.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
Yes, I am sure about that too, the only problem really is for it to be ready in time. The problem with our weather pages is that even if it is just a few days, you dont want to have gaps in your data.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »
Here's a clip from their web site about the new sharing abilities.

Note the wording.  Why did they phrase it that way?   :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
The current Acu-link allows you to share your bridge, so what is different?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
The current Acu-link allows you to share your bridge, so what is different?

"Weather station communities".  Note the plural.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »
I suppose if they add WU support,  might as well do CWOP etc.  But the new "hub" better have decent refresh rates.  Otherwise better to  upload yourself
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
If they do CWOP, I would hope they would sell radiation shields and allow you to upload the thermometer from a tower sensor. It is much more accurate.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »
I suppose if they add WU support,  might as well do CWOP etc.  But the new "hub" better have decent refresh rates.  Otherwise better to  upload yourself

Doesn't CWOP prefer 5-minute intervals, or did that change?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
5 minutes is the fastest time they allow. I set mine to 10 to filter out some of the fluctuations of the thermometer. If it's a big storm, with lots of wind and rain, I would set to 5. Most would probably be happy with 15 minute updates.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
Don't know if it matters to you guys, but I use WL and it'll allow me to upload to CWOP every minute, as I just tried and verified it. I believe however five is as often as they'd like to see, probably "congestion" issues otherwise.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
At least for the prototype, it's still just WUG.  But the upload time now seems to be every 18 seconds.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
I don't seem to be able to find a bridge for sale by itself on acurite. Does this mean they are discontinuing it? You can buy one as part of a package with the 5 in 1 still.

Edit. I did find it, but it is very hidden and only when you click "Temp and Humidity".

https://www.acurite.com/environment-systems/temperature-humidity-environment-systems.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:49:16 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »
Or you could just type "bridge" in the search bar on the home page.

I expect they will eventually change the packaging, instructions, and part number to reflect the new branding.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
You said same HW, right?  I was hoping they would actually fix the transmission distance.  Pathetic now.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »
You said same HW, right?  I was hoping they would actually fix the transmission distance.  Pathetic now.

Well, yeah.  It runs on your existing hardware.  It would be bad to abandon the existing base, right?

I haven't heard anything about a new bridge design with different specifications being released. 

That doesn't mean there might not be one someday, though.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:50:58 AM by nincehelser »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2016, 01:42:17 PM »
If you can change wifi power output on a router, surely they could do something to allow the sensors to xmit more than 25 feet.  Mine show 1 or 2 bars - thru glass, LOS about 30 feet.  Forget going thru a wall.  Other than the over temp in the sun (lack of decent FARS) the range is really only my other complaint.  My Acurite was well worth the 100 bucks or so.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
If you can change wifi power output on a router, surely they could do something to allow the sensors to xmit more than 25 feet.  Mine show 1 or 2 bars - thru glass, LOS about 30 feet.  Forget going thru a wall.  Other than the over temp in the sun (lack of decent FARS) the range is really only my other complaint.  My Acurite was well worth the 100 bucks or so.

If you're only getting 25 feet or 30 feet, then you've got a problem somewhere.  I get 150' to 200' feet with no equipment modifications, which is fairly typical in "real-world" conditions.

Regulations put certain limits on devices of this type running on 433MHz. 

A manufacturer can't just change the power output without running into legal issues.  It certainly wouldn't pass FCC testing.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
How will we know when the update has been sent out? 

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:28 AM »
There will be an email sent to all subscribers plus it will be announced on AcuRite's forum page.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
There will be an email sent to all subscribers plus it will be announced on AcuRite's forum page.

Thx for this.. Hopefully detailed instructions on how to move over to new platform. Still kinda concerned how this is gonna work or what i will do as I run aculink bridge to Meteobridge connected to my web router. Don't wanna have down time from CWOP and other sites I share my data with. Hopefully someone in this forum will make a thread or post instructions for those that run aculink bridge and ambient weather bridge to router. Here is link to what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=1ADAO1HGSFP37&R=1QZQRYYCTQOZ&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FAmbient-Weather-WEATHERBRIDGE-Universal-Ethernet%2Fdp%2FB00FPPYM7M%2Fref%3Dcm_sw_em_r_n_awdo_d_hGLHxb5F39JSA_tt&A=UZDH0IZRE6ULFB1XV95OL3TAOZEA&H=SAAEKFXW4SS70SAF3JEGWBJLDA4A

Offline meadowsland

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2016, 01:25:53 PM »
When we go live and begin the migration, it will be controlled and deliberate. We will be pushing a firmware update to the existing bridges by inviting users of our service click a link and begin the migration process. We are testing this now. Ultimately, our goal is to make this transition as smooth as possible. We believe you will like the capabilities of the new system.

Would love to hear more about CWOP and other communities you share with or wish to share with as I continue to work on our roadmap.

anything