Author Topic: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced  (Read 55347 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: myAcurite (the MBW replacement) announced
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »

You asked Larry about this?

Yes.  Just sent him an email.  I've mentioned it to him before, but it hasn't been discussed in any detail.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 08:54:18 PM »
Ok so if I understand you want me  to disconnect my meteobridge and connect the aculink bridge directly to me router on the release day when I update into the new platform? Reporting to CWOP is very important to me so what will happen to that? When exactly do I reconnect the meteobridge again cause aculink bridge as you said does not support CWOP and other 3rd party sites. Sorry for all the questions and again thx for your help.

That's something you'll need to discuss with the author/maker of meteobridge.  He'll need to adapt his code to the changes. Maybe he's in the loop already.  I don't know.

I don't think you'll be forced to switch on any particular day.  Transitioning will probably occur over a couple of months,  so you should have some time to coordinate whatever needs to be done on the meteobridge side to avoid a lot of downtime.

Ok but how long will I have the meteobridge disconnected and exactly when will I know to remove it? How is this transitioning done on my side?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »

Ok but how long will I have the meteobridge disconnected and exactly when will I know to remove it? How is this transitioning done on my side?

I don't know what the final plan will be.  All I know is that there will be a gradual migration of existing users over a couple of months.  I expect it will be a "user-friendly" process.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
So no need to remove anything I currently have installed? So I will have rapid-fire without need to have pc on all the time Not a fan of that at all.

Oh, wait.  Are you currently using a USB console and meteobridge to report to the internet? 

If so, the transition plan may be different.  I'll have to think about that and ask Larry about that particular setup.

" No usb " just meteobridge and aculink bridge connected to my router. Now you got my concerned.

OK.  That configuration I understand.  Just to be safe, you'll want to remove meteobridge and have your Aculink bridge connected directly to your router.  There's going to be a lot of things going on with the bridge during the transition process, and you don't want any possibility of that being disrupted (or you might end up with a brick).   

Assuming the meteobridge gets updated to understand the new setup, you can put it back in.  You may need to do that to report to other weather networks that are not supported by Acurite (e.g. CWOP).

In your setup, you won't need a PC on at all.

So trash my Meteobridge - and lose SQL and other service PUSH services?  The new, improved Bridge will do all that?

I thought not...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
That signal extender will be nice!!!

https://www.acurite.com/wireless-signal-extender-for-acurite-sensors.html

Great - another hobbled device.  My current standalone Xmitters can't go 30 feet: I am supposed to buy more crap to bridge the 15 feet?  FUD.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 09:12:13 PM »
That signal extender will be nice!!!

https://www.acurite.com/wireless-signal-extender-for-acurite-sensors.html

Great - another hobbled device.  My current standalone Xmitters can't go 30 feet: I am supposed to buy more crap to bridge the 15 feet?  FUD.
I agree but at least there's an option.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
So no need to remove anything I currently have installed? So I will have rapid-fire without need to have pc on all the time Not a fan of that at all.

Oh, wait.  Are you currently using a USB console and meteobridge to report to the internet? 

If so, the transition plan may be different.  I'll have to think about that and ask Larry about that particular setup.

" No usb " just meteobridge and aculink bridge connected to my router. Now you got my concerned.

OK.  That configuration I understand.  Just to be safe, you'll want to remove meteobridge and have your Aculink bridge connected directly to your router.  There's going to be a lot of things going on with the bridge during the transition process, and you don't want any possibility of that being disrupted (or you might end up with a brick).   

Assuming the meteobridge gets updated to understand the new setup, you can put it back in.  You may need to do that to report to other weather networks that are not supported by Acurite (e.g. CWOP).

In your setup, you won't need a PC on at all.

So trash my Meteobridge - and lose SQL and other service PUSH services?  The new, improved Bridge will do all that?

I thought not...

Yea losts of questions here in terms of Meteobridge! Iam certainly not gonna lose my 200$ bucks which I paid for meteobridge and most important my data being sent to CWOP.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »

I thought not...

Yea losts of questions here in terms of Meteobridge! Iam certainly not gonna lose my 200$ bucks which I paid for meteobridge and most important my data being sent to CWOP.

No one said you had to "trash" your meteobridge.  The author will have to provide an update for it, though.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 11:55:03 PM »
I just sent a post to Boris on the Meteobridge forum asking whether he planned to update/revise MB to accommodate the new AcuLink platform.  Let's see what the response is.  Hopefully, he is aware of it and feverishly at work as we speak.  :grin:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:44 AM »
Since MB acts like a vampire, I suspect it will not have to be changed at all. BICBW.  As long as Acurite does not change its protocol which I cannot see them doing at the risk of killing off their existing clientle.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 12:57:11 AM »
Since MB acts like a vampire, I suspect it will not have to be changed at all. BICBW.  As long as Acurite does not change its protocol which I cannot see them doing at the risk of killing off their existing clientle.

YYCBW  ;)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Well I will refuse to upgrade the bridge just to get the new MBW.  I really don't use the current one much.  Call me a Luddite, but this sort of progress at the expense of a major install based is just plain money-grubbing stupidity on Chaney's part.

(As an aside, if this goes as expected, there should be a fire sale on the old stuff.  Yippee!)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
I just sent a post to Boris on the Meteobridge forum asking whether he planned to update/revise MB to accommodate the new AcuLink platform.  Let's see what the response is.  Hopefully, he is aware of it and feverishly at work as we speak.  :grin:

Keep us updated on what he says. thx

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »
Well I will refuse to upgrade the bridge just to get the new MBW.  I really don't use the current one much.  Call me a Luddite, but this sort of progress at the expense of a major install based is just plain money-grubbing stupidity on Chaney's part.

(As an aside, if this goes as expected, there should be a fire sale on the old stuff.  Yippee!)

I don't expect there will be any "old stuff" to be had.   :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
There's tons of it around...  Lowes had dozens of boxes of the stuff when I was last there.  And if not, when it goes, it goes.  I am only out one Meteobridge license (I have another for my Davis); might even be able to horse trade that excess one.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »

I won't either. We should be able to stick to what we have if we block the upload to aculink I would think.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
There's tons of it around...  Lowes had dozens of boxes of the stuff when I was last there.  And if not, when it goes, it goes.  I am only out one Meteobridge license (I have another for my Davis); might even be able to horse trade that excess one.

The stuff at Lowes is still going to work fine.  It's not going to be like you think.   :-)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:15 AM »
I've got a brand new OS weather station on the way. It will be a step above acurite. No matter what happens, I will see no interruptions of information flowing the the NWS, or PWS wx. It will give 14 second wind updates, and has a huge spoon anemometer and vain.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:38:58 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
What brand did you buy?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »
Oregon WMR100

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
Just to clear up the FUD being spread...

1. The existing base of Acurite hardware will all move forward and be supported by the new platform.  No hardware is going out-of-date.

2. Specifically, existing bridges will have their firmware updated.  Software for Acurite's USB consoles will also be updated as necessary.

3. Nothing new needs to be purchased to use the new platform. 

4. The new platform will be free to use, just as it was before.  Everyone gets the new features for free.

5. The old MBW platform will eventually be shut down, but there will be a least a couple of months for folks to make the transition.

6. Third-party products may need to adapt.  The new bridge protocol is substantially different, but it is now much easier to understand.

7. The bridge is being re-named "SmartHUB".  It's the same hardware, but with the new firmware.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »
I think the problem is not so much in the fact that developers, like Boris for example, the developer of Meteobridge, will have to make change. I think that a developer when using someone else´s API has to be prepared that the other side can make changes any time.

so it is not really a question of "will it work or not" - sooner or later yes, but in this perspective the most important is that the other side (in this case Acurite) publish all the detailed info about the changes and how to implement them, so that the developer has enough time to make them.

I am saying this especially because it just happened 2 weeks ago, that Google Maps API changed and now requires an API key. Thats fine, I can understand why Google did that, but... it needs changes to be made in the scripts and they sort of didnt think this through carefully. They give you 3 months to fix this, ie. it works for another 90 days, just showing you notification you need to make that change. But there are three groups of people, and one has a problem:

- existing users: not an issue, shows notification, 90 more days to make the necessary changes
- new users: if you do everything yourself you dont have a problem. When setting it up, you simply use the new syntax already
- developers: problem... because if you are making this for other users, then they might download it and so your scripts have to be changed from day 1 after the change otherwise since they are new users, it wont work for them. And so I had to quickly update 71 scripts and that had to be done ASAP because Google basically implemented the change the moment they published info about it on their blog and I started getting emails from people who just installed my template for the first time, that their maps are not working.

Boris is quite busy, but I am sure he will make the necessary changes so that Meteobridge works with it again, in the end it is in his own interest. However, it is important that he gets all the info in advance so there is no gap between when this is implemented and when the dependent software is changed.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
Just to clear up the FUD being spread...

1. The existing base of Acurite hardware will all move forward and be supported by the new platform.  No hardware is going out-of-date.

2. Specifically, existing bridges will have their firmware updated.  Software for Acurite's USB consoles will also be updated as necessary.

3. Nothing new needs to be purchased to use the new platform. 

4. The new platform will be free to use, just as it was before.  Everyone gets the new features for free.

5. The old MBW platform will eventually be shut down, but there will be a least a couple of months for folks to make the transition.

6. Third-party products may need to adapt.  The new bridge protocol is substantially different, but it is now much easier to understand.

7. The bridge is being re-named "SmartHUB".  It's the same hardware, but with the new firmware.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks!  But someone should tell Chaney that "SmartHUB" is a trademarked by several other companies for other HW, SW and apps.  It is kind of a nonsensical name any way; reminds me of a bicycle part.  Shoulda been named something to do with weather and home monitoring.  My $0.02

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
I think the problem is not so much in the fact that developers, like Boris for example, the developer of Meteobridge, will have to make change. I think that a developer when using someone else´s API has to be prepared that the other side can make changes any time.

so it is not really a question of "will it work or not" - sooner or later yes, but in this perspective the most important is that the other side (in this case Acurite) publish all the detailed info about the changes and how to implement them, so that the developer has enough time to make them.

True, but it's important to note that Acurite has never had a public API or openly shared development information to start with.  The 3rd-party solutions have either been reverse-engineered or done through private agreements or partnerships.

Will Acurite have a public API going forward?  I don't know.

In any case, the new protocol is very straightforward and human-readable.  It's no longer necessary to figure out things like how to process the raw baro data or understand the gray-code used by the wind vane.  It's now very similar to the protocol other weather services are using.

anything