Author Topic: HAniS Animated US GOES WFO Satellite Loops  (Read 7134 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
HAniS Animated US GOES WFO Satellite Loops
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
This may be premature, but the NOAA/NWS guys and Tom Whittaker have been setting up WFO-specific loops.  Although there are no links on the 'loop' pages of many WFO's, they are there!  I think it's only a matter of time until they finish up their links and they become 'official'.

Accordingly I'm bypassing the Flash-based loops in favor of the HAniS-based loops for construction of the display of all of the WFO GOES animations.  Currently only Minneapolis bombs out, but with over 900 loops to check, I've just made sure that the Visible loops are working and properly aligned.  If you discover a problem, please post here so I can deal with it.

A big 'Thank You' to Don (W3DRM) for spotting the HAniS loops and for assisting with debugging this script =D>

The distribution mechanism for this script will be a little different because I want people to always have access to the latest version without stumbling over outdated scripts.  Accordingly after clicking on these links, right-clicking and selecting 'Save as...' and then saving as the default file name (minus '.txt') will get you the following scripts:
  wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php - The Primary Script - Place this in your menu after selecting your default '$wfo' and '$satType' (see 'inc-show-region-wfo-h5.php' for the correct codes) and putting it in the root of your site;
  inc-show-region-wfo-h5.php - The Dependent Script That Does the Work - Put this in the root of your site as well.

Be aware that the resolution of the Visible loops during the daytime is excellent, whereas the Visible loops resolution at night is poor, as it is at this magnification with all of the IR-based loops.

Notification of any updates will be posted here.

Edit 2015 September 6:  Bob noticed that Honolulu has WFO loops that I didn't catch.  It's present in Version 1a which is now downloadable via the links above.

Edit 2015 September 7:  Version 1b linked to above consolidates some redundant code and adjusts the Honolulu alignment.  Both scripts have changed, so don't forget to download both and to enter your WFO code in 'wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php'.

Edit 2015 December 5: The main script Version 2 is now linked to above.  It compensates for the recent sporadic appearance on all NOAA OSPO pages of a 'Special Message' informing users of changes occurring on the site.  The includes script is unchanged.

Edit 2017 December 25:  The main script Version 20171225 is now referenced by the above link.  Once again the 'Special Message' is present on all NOAA OSPO pages, but with slightly different parameters.  In addition Albuquerque, NM requires special treatment, so both the main script and the dependent script are now Version 20171225.  Additionally a switch, $useSSLWarning, has been added to optionally display a warning when this script is used on an SSL site where the loops won't display.  I have both an SSL and a non-SSL site, so rather than try to maintain two versions of my main menu I've opted for the SSL warning.
NOTE:  GOES-East is now GOES-16, so the resolution of the loops using this satellite is much improved.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:27:48 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
Re: HAniS Animated US GOES WFO Satellite Loops
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Thanks Jerry, up and running.  :grin: Well done! =D>
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
...snip...
...display of all of the WHO GOES animations...

I think this should be "...display of all of the WFO GOES animations..."  :-P
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
...snip...
...display of all of the WHO GOES animations...

I think this should be "...display of all of the WFO GOES animations..."  :-P
Fat fingered again... :oops: :grin:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
Bob noticed that Honolulu has a WFO loop that's formatted like all of the others.  Thanks, Bob.  =D> I've added it and Version 1a is now up on my site for downloading via the links in the first post of this thread.

Unfortunately the Alaskan WFO loops are oddly formatted  :shock: and unusable because they're nothing like all of the other WFO's loops.  It would be nice if they matched up with everyone else's loops. :-(
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Can this script also include Hawaii with different islands? I just noticed that Hawaii is not included as well as Alaska.  Otherwise it is looking good at your site.

So far we have managed to dodge the bullet with all the storms passing around us.  It is just hot and muggy because of the nearness of these passing storms.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »
...Can this script also include Hawaii with different islands? I just noticed that Hawaii is not included as well as Alaska.
Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
I think there is only one WFO in Hawaii, Stan, so the Honolulu WFO loop referenced in my last post and my edit to the first post in this thread is all that we can add. Sorry.  You can almost see all of the Islands in the Honolulu WFO, but not quite.  Also see my comment about Alaska's current WFO satellite loops.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »
Hawaii has turned out to be a bit of an 'odd duck'.  The controls are at the bottom rather than the top of the loops and the alignment is unique, plus there are only 'visible', 'rgb', and 'rainbow' loops currently available.  This looks very much like a 'work-in-progress', so I will leave the 'Satellite View' selection alone for now even though the full sequence hasn't been created yet.  Version 1b linked to above consolidates some redundant code and adjusts the Honolulu alignment.  Both scripts have changed, so don't forget to download both scripts and to enter your WFO code in 'wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php'.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for looking at Hawaii and hope the work in progress continues.  When I have the time I will try to get it working on my site.  Maybe this coming weekend I will be able to get it working.

Guess that the Honolulu NWS office has other things to worry about with all the storms that is around us.  We have flood and surf warning/advisories going on for the rest of the week.

Thanks again for your inputs for these satellite loops.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
Thanks for this. I have implemented it on my site: http://www.fvweather.com/custom/ncsatloop.php and it looks fine, but for some reason selecting different forecast office or view type do not update. I know it's probably something easy/stupid I did (or didn't do) but haven't found it yet.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:33:17 PM »
Can you upload your files so we can go through them? It's kind of hard to troubleshoot without having the code to look at. Please include the ncsatloop.php and other related files that are used by the routines.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Running here. Am seeing pixelation towards the end of the current loop, and also on other sites mentioned as running here. So, 'assuming' that's either normal or being worked on.

Also, the initial loop speed is a bit fast for my taste. Can that be tuned down a bit via the script?

http://tiggrweather.net/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:18:23 AM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Running here. Am seeing pixelation towards the end of the current loop, and also on other sites mentioned as running here. So, 'assuming' that's either normal or being worked on.
The pixelation occurs in the images in both the FLaniS and the HAniS animated loops, so it's the images themselves.  There's obviously a glitch or two in the production processing.  It occurs in many of the WFO loops, so it's NOAA/NWS's problem to solve.
Also, the initial loop speed is a bit fast for my taste. Can that be tuned down a bit via the script?

http://tiggrweather.net/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php

Thanks.
The initial loop speeds are all under NOAA/NWS control.  The loops run in a iframe, so we have to start where they do.  Sorry.

I think we need to be patient here while NOAA/NWS iron out the HAniS-animated WFO loops.  Most of them aren't in production yet, and we are previewing them.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 03:25:18 AM »
Apology certainly not necessary, and thanks for the explanations. Actually, sorry I made mine sound like a complaint. Wasn't meant to be.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
Don and Jerry, nice job!  This is really nice.  I haven't really modified anything on BeeWeather in a while, other than adding a few pictures or whatever...this might just compel me to work my brain a little and get it online for my area.

Thanks all the work!!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
Okay, I have finally completed the testing of all 990+ WFO Flash selection variations. Basically, everything is working as expected with no major issues. There are a couple minor things related to portions of a screen getting clipped but that is due to the way the NWS/NOAA code is written and is out of our control.

Jerry has done a great job on this and should be given a lot of credit for what he has done putting all of this together.

And, now that we also have the HTML5 version of most of the WFO screens, things should run a lot faster than the old Flash routines. I notice the rendering of the images is much faster with the HTML5 code. However, flash stuff has always been problematic on my computer for reasons that I cannot understand or identify. They just hang at the more inopportune times...

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
I've been poking around looking for Hawaii related satellite images and found something that may be of interest to everyone. It appears there are some flash-based images of the individual islands making up the State of Hawaii. I have listed those that I have found so far. All of them give more detail that what I have seen previously. There are no overlays but the images are quite good.
I found the above set of flash images when I looked at the following link:
The above link also shows numerous other links to various Hawaiian and Pacific images.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 03:08:11 AM »
Can you upload your files so we can go through them? It's kind of hard to troubleshoot without having the code to look at. Please include the ncsatloop.php and other related files that are used by the routines.

I found out it's not the script but it's interaction with my site. I ran the script by calling it directly: http://www.fvweather.com/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php and it works fine. The problem I believe is related to the fact that I have it running in Standalone mode, but in reality it is running within a template, just not Ken's template. Since the code in the script is only able to run with Ken's template or standalone, therein lies the issue. I believe where it tries to insert /html, /body, etc. tags may be causing issues, but I haven't had the time to track them down yet. Since it's not the script itself I'll try to get it fixed myself probably by customizing a bit.

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 02:23:25 AM »
Hi All,

Got mine up and running at http://www.dwayneyamato.com/wx/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php.  Seems to be running okay.

Don,  I did see those satellite images from the HNL office but it seems that we have those kinda covered.  There is currently no close ups unless you zoom in an area that you want to see but it does get pixielated (if there is such a word for it).

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »

I found out it's not the script but it's interaction with my site. I ran the script by calling it directly: http://www.fvweather.com/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php and it works fine. The problem I believe is related to the fact that I have it running in Standalone mode, but in reality it is running within a template, just not Ken's template. Since the code in the script is only able to run with Ken's template or standalone, therein lies the issue. I believe where it tries to insert /html, /body, etc. tags may be causing issues, but I haven't had the time to track them down yet. Since it's not the script itself I'll try to get it fixed myself probably by customizing a bit.
The '$standAlone' version is just that and as written won't play nice with other templates unless rewritten.  You will need to adapt 'wxusradars-hanis3.php' to your template.  Clues reside in the template-specific code in 'if (!$standAlone) { ... }' sections which are specific to the Saratoga template.  The '} else { ... }' sections following the foregoing '!$standAlone' sections are what create the Stand Alone capability, and this code will generate errors if you try to run the script as '$standAlone = true;' in a template environment.  You need to determine the requirements of your template and insert these into the '!$standAlone' sections in place of the Saratoga-template-specific code.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
Hi All,

Got mine up and running at http://www.dwayneyamato.com/wx/wxus-allloops-wfo-h5.php.  Seems to be running okay.

Don,  I did see those satellite images from the HNL office but it seems that we have those kinda covered.  There is currently no close ups unless you zoom in an area that you want to see but it does get pixielated (if there is such a word for it).

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Looks good, Stan.  I'm sorry the Honolulu WFO hasn't created the full suite of loops that the Continental US WFO's and PR have on line.  I think this is an NWS work-in-progress, and that we're probably jumping the gun a little in trying to display these loops.  Alaska has its own Region Headquarters as does Hawaii.  These quasi-independent units have requirements and capabilities that differ from the rest of the US, and as such it could be a while, if ever, before their products are identical to those of the other US NWS Region Headquarters.  Only time will tell.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

The '$standAlone' version is just that and as written won't play nice with other templates unless rewritten.  You will need to adapt 'wxusradars-hanis3.php' to your template.  Clues reside in the template-specific code in 'if (!$standAlone) { ... }' sections which are specific to the Saratoga template.  The '} else { ... }' sections following the foregoing '!$standAlone' sections are what create the Stand Alone capability, and this code will generate errors if you try to run the script as '$standAlone = true;' in a template environment.  You need to determine the requirements of your template and insert these into the '!$standAlone' sections in place of the Saratoga-template-specific code.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks Jerry. It is helpful. I just haven't spent the time to debug yet. I know the checks in the standalone code are what produce the extra tags and it's just my guess that those are what is causing the dropdowns to not work. Funny, but all of the check boxes in the script still work just fine.

Offline fourwatt

• Kenai Weather Live
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
Bob noticed that Honolulu has a WFO loop that's formatted like all of the others.  Thanks, Bob.  =D> I've added it and Version 1a is now up on my site for downloading via the links in the first post of this thread.

Unfortunately the Alaskan WFO loops are oddly formatted  :shock: and unusable because they're nothing like all of the other WFO's loops.  It would be nice if they matched up with everyone else's loops. :-(

Jerry,

This happens alot with all of the information provided by the NWS .
It seems the Alaska group is always on their own  ](*,) :-k :lol:

Ken

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
The NOAA OSPO is sporadically posting a 'Special Message' while they modify/update their pages.  The modified Version 2 main script compensates for the recent sporadic appearance on all NOAA OSPO pages of this 'Special Message' informing users of changes occurring on the site.

Thanks to Danny at http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com for the code changes which detect and compensate for the 'Special Message'.

Version 2 of the main script is now on my site.  The includes script remains unchanged.

Edit 2015 December 6:  There was an error in the WFO HAniS Loops Script that disabled loop display for many Western US and the Hawaii WFO loops.  Version 2a 20151206 is up and corrects it.

As usual, 'Right-Click', select 'Save as...', and save without the '.txt'.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:19:21 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
Please note:  There was an error in the WFO HAniS Loops Script that disabled loop display for many Western US and the Hawaii WFO loops.  Version 2a 20151206 is up and corrects it.

As usual, 'Right-Click', select 'Save as...', and save without the '.txt'.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything