Author Topic: CO/KS severe storm ID question  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Marie1315

CO/KS severe storm ID question
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum!  On a recent road trip I was able to see a storm develop over the plains. It had weak rotation and 3+ inch hail.  As we got farther from the storm we were able to see a cloud lowering.  I have a good idea of the differences between wall and scud clouds, but when I look at this picture I still am uncertain of what type it is.  This is the southern portion of the storm.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:41:42 PM by Marie1315 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: CO/KS severe storm ID question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
 I think the key would be if rotation was present. You say weak I'm suspecting this could be early stage but would like to see rotation for sure. Here is cool video that shows early stages of development some look similar.     http://discoverykids.com/videos/monster-tornadoes-spawned-discovery-weather/
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
If it's indeed a supercell, probably a wall cloud.

Offline Marie1315

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
When we caught it the rotation was weak, but present.  It had just gone to a severe storm warning.  About an hour after we continued to drive and had lost sight of it, it was tornado warned.  The reason I thought wall cloud was because the tightest rotation was in the area in which this formed.  We were headed away from it, luckily because of hail, couldn't get a better look to see rotation.

thanks for the input!