Author Topic: Spring 2013 Cold Air Mass Movement Projections  (Read 20870 times)

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Spring 2013 Cold Air Mass Movement Projections
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:26:49 AM »
(.. This thread follows in line with one similar focusing on this past Winter.)

Counterintuitive, to what might be expected where considering the current seasonal, both point and propensity, ...

At this point, main colder air mass looked at more broadly, has begun to move and spread southward where considering its main potential for expansion more out and down from its main source regions and areas to the north. And with this idea, should continue to do so daily, more so, through to the 1st of April.

This, while at the same time where considering its variable pace more eastward where looked at more over-all, main colder air's being set to continue to slow its main movement east through the 24th of March or so. This, with its then being caused to step up its pace east markedly from that point through the 26th, before beginning to slow daily again from then, forward through to the 1st or 2nd of April.

No "Numerical Wx-forecast Models" have been consulted where considering the generation of the general outlook included above as part of this post.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:57:50 AM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Re: Spring 2013 Cold Air Mass Movement Projections
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:41 AM »

At this point main cold is retracting daily steadily more northward, with having begun to do so back on the 1st of this month, and with being set to continue to do so through until April 15th or so.

This, while considering its variable pace where moving more eastward looked at more over-all and with its having just begun to move more assertively eastward, main colder air's being set to continue this stronger movement east through til the 10th of Apr. or so, before beginning to move slowly again.

No "Numerical Wx-forecast Models" have been consulted where considering the generation of the general outlook included above as part of this post.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:22:42 AM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

At this point main colder air mass has begun to move steadily more slowly east where looked at daily and where considering its main and more predominate more general more longitudinal movement. And with this idea, should continue this general slow-down through until the 22nd or 23rd of April.

This, while at the same time where looked at more latitudinally, main colder air's being caused to continue to recede daily, steadily more northward where looked at more over-all through the 15th of Apr., before beginning to move and spread more southward again.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:27:29 PM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:08 AM »

With having completed its most recent general recession more northward just more than 2 days ago during the earlier hours of the 15th, since that point, still present colder air mass to the north at this point has begun to move and spread more southward. And with this idea, should continue to do so daily through until the 28th of this month or so where considering its main more latitudinal potential.

This while looked at more longitudinally, main and broader cold being caused to continue its current more slowed movement and pace more eastward for the next 6 days or so, before beginning to move more assertively east again from the 23rd through the 26th or so.

—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »

At this point, and with its currently being in the middle of a short period of more stepped up movement and pace more eastward, beginning on 26th, main cold should start to move steadily and progressively more slowly eastward again, with continuing this slower pace east through to the 1st or 2nd of May.

This while where looked at at the same time more latitudinally, main colder air mass looked at more broadly being set to continue to move and spread still somewhat more south through the 28th of this month, before beginning to retract daily more northward again for several days.
—> wider graphic .

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
May I make a suggestion...  :-)

1. Include maps, charts, graphs... anything to help illustrate your point
2. I didn't know if you were ware of this forum, but if you like hard-core weather discussions, forecasting, etc, here's the best place for it: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=forums

It's loaded with all kinds of meteorologist from around the country. Great insight and information all over that site.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Great link to US WX!  Thanks.  Some very erudite conversations there.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
Wait until the weather gets rough! It becomes a very busy place, it's kind of quiet right now. The knowledge up there is incredible. Plus you have NWS/NOAA/NCEP mets, unique people like the met that deals with all of the NOAA computer models, guys that aren't mets that pull off incredible long and medium range forecast. It's really a cool place.

When things get busy, they get tough on people asking MBY kind of questions, so be forewarned!  :grin:
The motto is read more post less, especially when they are in Storm Mode.

The regional forums are full of mets and others that have a unique perspective on the weather in that region. All in all, IMHO, it's the BEST place to go to get up to date weather information directly from the people that are intimately involved. Highly recommended.

BTW, in order to see images/maps/charts/etc, you must join. Also, meteorologist Allan Hoffman from Raleigh NC has all of his model images available free to the public. This is a really GREAT resource. http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/models.html

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
May I make a suggestion...

Include maps, charts, graphs...  to help illustrate your point .....

hello "DaculaWeather".

Appreciate your comments.

The projections that I post are basic certainly, granted. But in fact take into account all, of main and more primary colder air mass. With all colder air's having two main more horizontal movement types/possibilities, what I work to project is its both main more latitudinal, and more longitudinal potential as I see these ideas.

With this in mind, all any chart or graphic would show, would be perhaps different arrows, in front of where cold is situated variously, at the time of whatever projection of mine submitted, with their pointing in the direction that I've suggested it will move.

.. What I'd suggest more generally, where considering the idea of perhaps following toward appreciating better what I submit, would be to check whatever main and broader scope IR parameter Satellite imagery that you're more comfortable with or can find, toward noting just where main colder air mass "is" at the time that you read through my projections.

Here below, accessible, are a few that I check regularly.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc2.shtml
Analysis/Satellite Composite
(N Amer/Pacific)

http://aviationweather.gov/obs/sat/intl/

http://www.fvalk.com/day_image.htm

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_vis.php?image=ir&inv=0&t=cur&region=he

Back, to my most recent projection. > http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18540.msg181331#msg181331
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:50:03 PM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

As I'd suggested above, at this point I'm estimating that main colder air mass looked at more broadly, will begin to retract daily more northward for several days, …

This, with its being caused to move more slowly eastward through May 2nd or so, before beginning to move somewhat at least, more assertive east daily, and if with this idea, through a steadily higher latitude corridor.

Also, important to note here at this seasonal point with looking at the idea of "colder air", in fact I'm using the term more relatively. And so, with this idea, and even with its various movement looked at still certainly being influential where looking different types of weather possible with warmer weather, in many cases where considering its movement, it can be thought of more simply as just "cooler" air mass, more moderating.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:21:19 PM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
I'm assuming that when you say retract, you mean retreat northwards?  I donno.  I think it's going to move eastward.  There's a possibility of temps in the 30s here late next week.  So eastward is right, but retreating north is not so much.  (If I'm understanding you right).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
I'm assuming that when you say retract, you mean retreat northwards?  I donno.  I think it's going to move eastward.  There's a possibility of temps in the 30s here late next week.  So eastward is right, but retreating north is not so much.  (If I'm understanding you right).
LOL!!! And herein lies the problem!

Plain English and geographical references would help. Otherwise to me.... it's just a bunch of words.

There is a chance of below normal temperatures over the SE US next week, with temp anomalies on the GFS showing 850 mb temps almost 5 std deviations below normal, and one run showing 0º 850's all the way to the Gulf coast. This most likely will moderate as the week progresses but shows the potential for cooler than normal in the extended term.

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »

I'm assuming that when you say retract, you mean retreat northwards?  I donno.

hello "SlowModem".

Yes. "retract", retreat, recede. And in any case here, steadily more northward daily, and for the next several days. At this point, I'd say through 'til the 12th of May or so. This idea, set against and following its recent past more southward movement and spread, and with in each case colder air's being looked at more over-all.

I think it's going to move eastward.  There's a possibility of temps in the 30s here late next week.  So eastward is right, but retreating north is not so much.

With this that you've said further, I'm assuming that you've meant post the 2nd. Certainly possible where considering your latitude set with what I've said. And then otherwise, where considering your doubt expressed here above about cold's recession more northward, ... So do you think that "cold" looked at more over-all, will continue to move more southward still where looking ahead from this point. ?

More than this, and where hoping to address "DaculaWeather's", comments attached more specifically to and stemming more from what you've said regarding your not having been able to appreciate what I've suggested, projected above most recently with more surety, ...

... And [t]herein lies the problem.

Plain English and geographical references would help.

.. The basic projections that I've submitted here within this thread above are based on what I've seen with many years of study where considering colder air's more than main seasonal expansion more southward (N. hem.) during fall and winter, set against retraction more northward during spring and summer, and with my looking additionally at both, at the same time, 1) and with its working either whether along with or against these larger main more seasonal occurrences, a more inner-seasonal cycle of expansion and retraction of cold, along together with 2), also one working and moved through regularly, more where considering the general variability in and of colder air's otherwise more longitudinal movement potential.

As I've worked to point to both here just above more generally, along with also more specifically above within this thread where having responded to his comments regarding a projection of mine submitted a few weeks ago, ...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18540.msg181344#msg181344

.. my projections deal with what I expect main and "broader" colder air mass, will be doing where looking ahead, where considering its both latitudinal together with at the same time more longitudinal, both main movement, together with distribution looked at more generally.

Addressed to him more specifically again, here, ..

hello "DaculaWeather".

With respect, .. Perhaps, instead of making suggestions / comments about just how I might able to present / represent what I have better, where not being able to understand to appreciate what I've said, suggested projected, you could instead, just ask me to explain better what you haven't, of what I have submitted.
—> wider graphic .

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Richard,

I think what folks are trying to have you understand is that your use of parenthetical expressions actually makes what you are saying hard to understand.  Notice that I did not use a comma or a parenthetical expression in the above sentence.  The meaning should be clear and understandable to the casual observer. 

It is your style of writing that is getting in the way of folks understanding what you mean at the first reading of your comments.

Consider this a with-respect suggestion about how you may present so it is easily understandable to all instead of hidden and obfuscated behind multiple qualifying parenthetical expressions.

I offer your above sample
The basic projections that I've submitted here within this thread above are based on what I've seen with many years of study where considering colder air's more than main seasonal expansion more southward (N. hem.) during fall and winter, set against retraction more northward during spring and summer, and with my looking additionally at both, at the same time, 1) and with its working either whether along with or against these larger main more seasonal occurrences, a more inner-seasonal cycle of expansion and retraction of cold, along together with 2), also one working and moved through regularly, more where considering the general variability in and of colder air's otherwise more longitudinal movement potential.
One sentence, 113 words, with 7 parenthetical expressions -- even with English as my native language, I do find it hard to parse.

My suggestions:
1) use short, to the point sentences
2) avoid qualifying parenthetical expressions unless absolutely necessary for the meaning

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »
With this that you've said further, I'm assuming that you've meant post the 2nd. Certainly possible where considering your latitude set with what I've said. And then otherwise, where considering your doubt expressed here above about cold's recession more northward, ... So do you think that "cold" looked at more over-all, will continue to move more southward still where looking ahead from this point. ?

Friday morning coming up, I may have to scrape frost off the windshield when I get off from work.  There's a cold air mass coming down into the plains later this week heading eastward.  It's southern extreme may be Dallas or Austin.  It will probably make it into TN and points east after that.

I wish it would go away.  It's hard on the garden and my bees.  I'm ready for Spring.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »

Richard,

I think what folks are trying to have you understand is that your use of parenthetical expressions actually makes what you are saying hard to understand. 

One person's "parenthetical expressions", I guess, are another's elements [in fact] important, where considering what they've hoped to convey, is all I have for you here more specific, "saratogaWx". Ken, if I may.

Regarding your broader assessment of my "style of writing" above, as I view what I've written, preceding it, and where considering the ideas that I'd been asked to address if and where having hoped to show any type of more substantive response to what had been said about what I'd suggested pointed to otherwise regarding it, more recently, above, …

.. I've worked as best I've been able, to address, what's been pointed to.

This, as concisely as possible, while speaking to each element of what had been being said about it.

Regarding the emphasis more specific that you've put on what other "folks" are "understanding", or otherwise, where "first reading" my comments, .. While I can certainly appreciate this as being your perception, with my broader efforts where regarding/considering the general theme that I've entered into here within this thread not being meant to be anything more than - if certainly generated in earnest, projections, offered, submitted, and not as any type of either whether more formal or official output, and so with this idea, open for "discussion", ….

.. as I've suggested above, instead of my working to adjust either whether the general format of, or style where considering, my basic submissionspointing to what I feel main colder air mass might do where looked at more over-all and where looking more forward ahead in time, meteorologically, when I do, …

.. I'd much prefer that whomever reading my posts submitted, not perhaps being able to appreciate what I've had to say, simply ask me to clarify whatever for them.

More abstractly, … Granted, "short" and "to the point sentences" are certainly at times more "easily" understood, than thinking expressed more linearly. (One thought lending to another, one following another.)

... With the "sample" example that you've cited above, part of my efforts previous, to clarify my broader efforts, where considering the actual idea of prognosticating future and if broader cold air mass both movement together with distribution, the fact is, that I'd chosen a more "linear" path.  (The sentence is grammatically correct. Do I really need to defend whether or not it makes sense. ?)

In "short" (?), I certainly wish "folks" would, instead of analyzing the "style" in which I worked to convey what I've had in mind main "projections" wise and focused, where regarding broader colder air mass movement together with distribution, …

.. either whether, ask what I might mean where confused by it. This, or either, just ponder what I've said with perhaps checking its validity, even merit; this idea together with otherwise beyond it, where having [perhaps] appreciated its having proved valid and/or of merit, let me know that they've noted either of these ideas.

Finally. (?) And if I may, .. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18540.msg181547#msg181547
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:27:41 AM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »

Friday morning coming up, I may have to scrape frost off the windshield when I get off from work.  There's a cold air mass coming down into the plains later this week heading eastward.  It's southern extreme may be Dallas or Austin.  It will probably make it into TN and points east after that.

Think so. ?

Relative to what I've said, projected above, in my view this would be more possible if the main and broader patterning looked at more upstream of your area and both nearer to and over it were to remain more meridional. Or that is, with cold's main movement looked at both more latitudinally, even though retreating more northward at this point, being more set to continue its recent past slower movement more eastward, more longitudinally. 

.. But with its general retreat at this point, looked at together with its otherwise per my estimation being set to pick up its general pace east somewhat post the 2nd, I'd say that there's at least a possibility that you may escape the level of cold that you seen forecast apparently.

... I wish it would go away. It's hard on the garden and my bees. I'm ready for Spring.

.. I'm a little luckier than you are apparently. Decent rainfall to this point, together with a both even and relatively slowly building temperature more here where I am in CA; lower foothills, Central Northern Sierras. 

I have plenty of compost stacked up and curing. A good 5 by 10 foot, square pile, having settled down to half its initial height from about 3 feet to about 1 1/2. Ready to turn tomorrow. And to be dedicated once finished, mainly to tomatoes.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:11:22 AM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »

Think so. ?

I have plenty of compost stacked up and curing. A good 5 by 10 foot, square pile, having settled down to half its initial height from about 3 feet to about 1 1/2. Ready to turn tomorrow.

1. I think so
and
2. I'll bet you do...

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I'll bet you do...

Apart from general denigration perhaps, is there a point to be gathered here. ?

—> wider graphic .

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Richard,
       Let me clarify to what I believe is going on with this post in terms you might understand: Mass Population Movement Projections with Regards to Hard-To-Understand Scientific Posts.

This has gone from a "Huh?" -> Disinterest -> Pain in the butt....Hence the Movement....

As stated before in previous post, your explanations are directed to a general populace who's main concern is starting and maintaining weather websites and privately-owned weather stations. Most, and I say most, are not PhD scholars whose interest are in deep climatologigal issues, not saying that we don't like a spirited discussion sometimes on Climate Change and other related matters.

Advice: Lower the bar on your posts so that we can get a grasp of what you are trying to explain....

"Now back to our regularly scheduled programming......."

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
Or just speak in plain English.  :roll:

Sorry... but I can and do get forecast information from an untold number of meteorologists (from all branches of the government and private sector) that have much more knowledge of the weather, and yet they speak in a manner that is still easy to understand, complete with maps, charts, graphs, etc, etc.

I can guarantee you this, you go on AmericanWX forum with this stuff, you'll be banned in less than a week.

Just sayin'...

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »
hello "SoMDWx".

Regarding the introduction to your post above, I've gathered your general drift.

As far as the advice that you've lent goes, my basic feeling (in earnest.) is that where considering the main projections that I've submitted above as my main post to this thread, the bar (your characterization.) isn't all that high.

It's fairly simple stuff, ... greater cold air mass will move either whether more or less quickly east where looking at its more longitudinally potential, while at the same time, either whether being caused to recede more northward or spread more south where looked at more latitudinally. And in either case, where and with considering the basic timeframes that I've pointed to.

Not all that complicated.

Appreciate your comments.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:45:52 PM by richard583 »
—> wider graphic .

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
Now where is that "IGNORE" button again?

Ah, there it is.....    :-P

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
So parsing
It's fairly simple stuff, ... greater cold air mass will move either whether more or less quickly east where looking at its more longitudinally potential, while at the same time, either whether being caused to recede more northward or spread more south where looked at more latitudinally. And in either case, where and with considering the basic timeframes that I've pointed to.
and removing the parenthetical expressions results in

It's fairly simple stuff, ... greater cold air mass will move east [and] either recede more northward or spread more south [in the] basic timeframes that I've pointed to.

As you say above, what you are posting is for discussion -- it would be easier for us to enter said discussion if your meaning was quickly understandable.  It is your phrasing and qualifying parenthetical expressions that make it hard to tease the meaning from your sentences -- that is the main feedback I was trying to give you.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
Or just speak in plain English.  :roll:

Sorry... but I can and do get forecast information from an untold number of meteorologists (from all branches of the government and private sector) that have much more knowledge of the weather, and yet they speak in a manner that is still easy to understand, complete with maps, charts, graphs, etc, etc.

I can guarantee you this, you go on AmericanWX forum with this stuff, you'll be banned in less than a week.

Just sayin'...

Do you in fact understand any, of what I've said within my most recent projection posted above, if I may ask. ?
—> wider graphic .