Author Topic: Siting question  (Read 1241 times)

Offline BuckeyeGuy

Siting question
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »
Hi all

Just pulled the trigger on the AcuRite 5 in 1, and I was wondering about siting the sensor suite. I was considering mounting on my roof, but I don't know if that would work? How far above the peak should it be? And will the wireless xmit through to the 1st floor where the receiver is? I could also mount it to my backyard fence, which is about 100ft from the house, but I am worried about it being within the house's weather shadow?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Ray
Ray D
O-H!
Go Bucks!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Siting question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
My 5-in-1 is screwed to the railing on my deck, about 45' from the consoles.  The signal passes through two external walls and an interior wall.  (House was extended, and old exterior wall is now an interior wall.)  I'm reading full bars signal strength at the console.

Try putting batteries into the 5-in-1 and just laying it on your roof to see how far the signal gets inside your house.  I think you'll be surprised at how far the signal actually travels.

Before discovering AcuRite, my only experiences with wireless thermometers was that I had to hang the receiver on the window frame and the transmitter less than 5' away outside to get a signal through.  I have an AcuRite thermometer using the same radios as the 5-in-1, with the transmitter probe out in my detached garage and the receiver set on an end table in the living room.  The signal needs to pass through the garage wall, 30 feet of yard, two exterior walls, and two interior walls...and it still gets 3 bars!  Like I said, try a few different locations with the 5-in-1 before you pull the rain gauge stopper strip out, because wireless range probably won't be a problem wherever you decide to site the outdoor sensor.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
RE: Siting

http://smlweather.com/downloads/CWOP_Guide.pdf

(I personally do not feel that a roof installation is the best location for a weather station due to maintenance, both planned and emergency. Peruse this Guide and see if you still think your roof is your best location. It may be. ) 

FWIW

George

Offline BuckeyeGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
Ray D
O-H!
Go Bucks!

anything