Author Topic: 5-in-1 Fan Motor ratings (for Rhino)  (Read 3598 times)

Offline wx_junkie

5-in-1 Fan Motor ratings (for Rhino)
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Rhino, if you happen across this post, I would very much appreciate a reply!  :grin:

Would you be able to please tell me the electrical ratings (current, voltage), for the small DC motor that turns the aspirating fan.    I'd like to wire mine up so it is aspirating 24 hours.  I could run it at a comfortably low voltage, but I figure if I'm going to hook it up to a permanent DC supply, I'd like to max out the speed to that it aspirates the best possible.  I've added a larger solar panel to my sensor a few weeks ago, but I still get the "spike-and-dive" in the AM, albeit not so pronounced as it used to be pre-mod.

Thanks very much!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: 5-in-1 Fan Motor ratings (for Rhino)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »
I will pull the fan info together for you and send it to you in the next few days- in the meantime, I can tell you that we are working on an upgrade option for the 5n1 sensor that will include a revised solar cell orientation and electronics for the aspirating fan. Feel free to review and/or join in the discussion!

http://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/aspirating_fan_via_electricity

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline wx_junkie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanks Rhino!

I've just subscribed to the product testing panel.  As such, I'd love to be included in a round of beta-testing for the solar modification!

Ray

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »
Ok, I have some fan specs for you-

AcuRite 5n1 Aspirating fan
Rated voltage : 1.5V
No load current : <20mA

A 3.0V power supply would be fine to replace the solar panel and power the fan directly, although the fan was not designed to run constantly, so I am not sure how it would affect it's service life.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that modification of the 5n1 assembly will void the warranty, as is customary with electronic devices. Chaney recommends that you DO NOT modify the weather equipment in any way- and Chaney cannot be held liable or responsible for any modifications, or injuries or negative effects that may result from any modifications performed by a customer or user in the field.

Offline wx_junkie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
Thanks very much, Rhino.  Disclaimer understood. :)

Ray

anything