Author Topic: Which is the better out of these?  (Read 5871 times)

Offline earthdog

Which is the better out of these?
« on: December 25, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »
I have been looking into getting my first station and have been looking at a few Lacrosse ones and one Oregon Scientific Weather Station. The OS one is the
WMR100 and then I have been looking at the Lacrosse, WS-1612AL-IT, and the
WS-2308AL
Does anyone know which would be best to get?
This will be for home so my daughter and I can start this hobby together.
If this works out and she really enjoys this, I will probably upgrade to a Davis later this next summer.
Any help will help. Thanks.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Which is the better out of these?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:53:31 AM »
At another forum I belong to. There have been alot of complaints about communication problems with the WMR-100. For about $60 more you might consider the WMR-968. Or even better. Save you cash as just get the Davis.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
Unless you want 2 weather stations, and you can already afford to purchase the Davis this summer, just buy it now. If neither of you like the hobby, I'm sure you could unload the station to someone in this forum...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:55:01 AM »
Something else you might want to consider, are all or any of the stations you're considering supported by the software you're going to use?

Offline earthdog

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:22:10 AM »
I believe they all have software for them. The OS needs to be downloaded on their website though.
How does Honeywell stack up to the others?

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:45:55 AM »
As for the software that comes with a station. Depends on what software it is. Could be like comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Hfcomms

• Big Bay, Mi - Local Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:39:46 AM »
I have the 2308 and have had it for about a month now.  It's a good system and rather accurate for the money.  It's a good starter system and integrates very well with the weather display software and my website is currently built around it.  The nice thing about the Lacrosse is you can get into it for around $100 or less and if you figure out at some point that you don't like it or are not going to get into the hobby then you have not lost very much.  That being said the Davis units are top of the line and if your serious about it then I would wait and get a Davis unit.

I run my Lacrosse in wireless mode and the receiver is about 50' away from the transmitter.  I have had no problems with it as of yet and have had nights around 0 so far and it keeps running just fine.  You can take a look at the accuracy of the unit and decide for yourself.  http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C9114

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
I believe they all have software for them.
The software that comes with stations usually have the minimum features.  If you just want to see the info on your computer and have it save data the stock software will be fine.  If you want to send your data to your web site, weatherforyou.com/HAMweather or WU you'll probably have to upgrade to the other software available.
Joe Torsitano

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:21:54 PM »
I have the LaCrosse 2317-EL and have been very pleased with it...runs quietly and is a workhorse...the software I use is from the WUHU guys...have been very happy with it. 

I upload information to HamWeather (Weather For You), CWOP, Wunderground, and AWEKAS...again, it runs like a charm and the WUHU Yahoo Groups site is very helpful...think my bride and daugther paid around a $100 for the 2317 on Father's Day of 2006....just helped a resident of our county purchase one of these and get it running...he is pleased also. 

Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator