Author Topic: What the heck do I buy if I want to go with Davis??  (Read 1561 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
What the heck do I buy if I want to go with Davis??
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
OK, I'm one step away from tossing this POS Acurite 5 in 1 system due to flakey bridge.  However Davis's piece meal approach makes this totally confusing. 

I want an outdoor Wireless Sensor, indoor console and direct wireless connection to the internet and seamless reporting to wunderground. (w/o PC). I want the console and bridge in separate rooms w/o wires.

Are these the components???
- Davis 6250 sensor and console - that's the easy part
- Airbridge?? - the fine print says that the range is only 300' despite the nice 1000' range of the Davis sensor, that's unacceptable IMHO. The reason I want to go with Davis is for the robust wireless range. So skip this??
- USB Datalogger - I assume this gets the data from the Davis console so it can be transferred to the internet??
- Weatherbridge - Does this have to be hardwired to the Davis console via USB cable?  I was hoping this could be located in a separate room close to my wireless router? I'd like the console stand alone w/o extra clutter from other components.
- What software takes the internet data and reports it to the web/wunderground.  Is there something like Aculink but for Davis??

This is adding up quickly. Are there opportunities for cost savings/simplicity?

Thanks, I' totally confused.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:21:22 PM by davefr »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: What the heck do I buy if I want to go with Davis??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
You're confusing yourself because you're looking at the Ambient/Amazon  site rather than Davis. The package that you're linking to is a mixture of Davis and non-Davis parts. What you need (for a Vue-based system) is:

1. 6250 Vantage Vue
2. 6510USB Weatherlink data logger pack (provides USB connectivity to a PC or other computing device)
3. MeteoBridge (the non-Davis part) and the WiFi-enabled equivalent (in some respects) to the WeatherlinkIP logger. I think Ambient give this their own name - WeatherBridge is it? (The AirBridge looks like MeteoStick and is something different)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
Just for clarity:

I want an outdoor Wireless Sensor, indoor console and direct wireless connection to the internet and seamless reporting to wunderground. (w/o PC). I want the console and bridge in separate rooms w/o wires.

By "direct wireless connection to the internet" do you mean a wireless connection to your own local area network (router)?  Or some other wireless connection method?

And please explain what you mean by "bridge".

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »
Just for clarity:

By "direct wireless connection to the internet" do you mean a wireless connection to your own local area network (router)?  Or some other wireless connection method?

And please explain what you mean by "bridge".

All I want is the Acurite type of configuration implemented with a Davis Sensor.

(ie Outdoor sensor transmits data to an indoor console, outdoor sensor also transmits data to a wireless receiver bridge that can be connected to the internet via an existing household router)

3. MeteoBridge (the non-Davis part) and the WiFi-enabled equivalent (in some respects) to the WeatherlinkIP logger. I think Ambient give this their own name - WeatherBridge is it? (The AirBridge looks like MeteoStick and is something different)

But unless I'm missing something, doesn't this require the console to be connected to a Meteobrige/Weatherbridge router via USB cable and USB1.X to 2.0 adapter?  No way to get directly from Davis Sensor to a bridge/reciever w/o going thru a console??

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:57 PM »

But unless I'm missing something, doesn't this require the console to be connected to a Meteobrige/Weatherbridge router via USB cable and USB1.X to 2.0 adapter?  No way to get directly from Davis Sensor to a bridge/reciever w/o going thru a console??

Well, the trouble is that it's not 100% clear what you want. Many people here won't know what Acurite configuration you might have, so on this Davis forum we can only answer from a Davis perspective.

It now sounds like you think you want two separate receivers: one to act as a portable display (ie it can't be tied to a computing device) and one to feed data to an Internet site? So yes it sounds like the configuration you originally lnked to would meet this requirement. Another option would be an additional Vue console (to act as the portable display) and then the main Vue console + USB logger + MeteoBridge would do the Itnernet feed.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »

(ie ..... outdoor sensor also transmits data to a wireless receiver bridge that can be connected to the internet via an existing household router)

The most straightforward way to do that is with an additional console (6350-Vue or 6316-Envoy), plus the WeatherLinkIP - 6555.

There are other alternatives with more complexity.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
The most straightforward way to do that is with an additional console (6350-Vue or 6316-Envoy), plus the WeatherLinkIP - 6555.

That doesn't meet the WiFi requirement though (easily at least).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
That doesn't meet the WiFi requirement though (easily at least).

He never said "WiFi".  He said: "direct wireless connection to the internet" and later clarified that by saying:

"outdoor sensor also transmits data to a wireless receiver ..... that can be connected to the internet via an existing household router"

The Vue or Envoy is certainly a wireless receiver for data from the outdoor sensor.  The WeatherLinkIP connects that to the existing household router.

Note: where ..... appears in the quote above, he said "bridge".  In context, I consider the WeatherLinkIP to be the bridge.

Of course, there are other solutions involving WiFi, etc.  I'm just responding to his (apparent) requirements - wireless connection to a viewable console, and separate wireless connection sending data to "wunderground", without requirement for a PC.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
He never said "WiFi".  He said: "direct wireless connection to the internet" and later clarified that by saying:

"outdoor sensor also transmits data to a wireless receiver ..... that can be connected to the internet via an existing household router"

Ah, I didn't spot the clarification. It's a confusing thread!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
Ah, I didn't spot the clarification. It's a confusing thread!

Yes, it's confusing.  This illustrates what I want and it's really pretty simple.  (sensor to console and sensor to internet).  I guess to do it with a Davis Sensor will require two consoles and Weather Connect IP.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Yes, it's confusing.  This illustrates what I want and it's really pretty simple.  (sensor to console and sensor to internet).  I guess to do it with a Davis Sensor will require two consoles and Weather Connect IP.

Well, in your illustrative example, it does say that the main "Display" is optional.  So, you don't have to have that with Davis, either.   :grin:

But yes, if you want a display located somewhere away from your router, you will need two consoles plus WeatherLinkIP.  That's plug-and-play.  Or one of the other alternatives.

anything