Author Topic: It's raining" RG11 on a Davis leaf wetness/temp station  (Read 1537 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
It's raining" RG11 on a Davis leaf wetness/temp station
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
(This could have gone under Davis, WeatherElement, Tech, or the Hydreon areas. I chose Davis as it's the glue that pulled it all together.)

I posted before somewhere here about using a Hydreon RG11 in "It's Raining" mode with a Davis temp station and a resistor voltage divider. That station got repurposed, and I wanted to do something more permanent, so this weekend I rebuilt it, using an unused temp input on my leaf wetness station.

It works pretty well. We had a weekend of drizzle and light rain. The "temp" graph shows the rain periods in much more detail than the rainfall bucket tips graph. 61 degrees is not raining, 105 is raining.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to hack the remaining leaf wetness input for this. Leaf wetness makes more sense than trying to tell my server that this temperature is really a binary rain/no rain indicator.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: It's raining" RG11 on a Davis leaf wetness/temp station
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »
Interesting

funny enough, when it rains here, you normaly can hear it on the roof, so no need for something to tell me its raining
LOL
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Even though we have an aluminum shingle roof, the light drizzle shown in the graph was not enough to hear. Plus, running the RG11 through the Davis is one way to get the output into VWS and from there into my home automation program.

Interesting

funny enough, when it rains here, you normaly can hear it on the roof, so no need for something to tell me its raining
LOL

Offline meteofrog

• Meteorological Station Nexing (Austria)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 03:17:03 AM »
Hi John,

did you already got it running by the leaf wetness input?
Thanks for information.

kind regards,
meteofrog

(This could have gone under Davis, WeatherElement, Tech, or the Hydreon areas. I chose Davis as it's the glue that pulled it all together.)

I posted before somewhere here about using a Hydreon RG11 in "It's Raining" mode with a Davis temp station and a resistor voltage divider. That station got repurposed, and I wanted to do something more permanent, so this weekend I rebuilt it, using an unused temp input on my leaf wetness station.

It works pretty well. We had a weekend of drizzle and light rain. The "temp" graph shows the rain periods in much more detail than the rainfall bucket tips graph. 61 degrees is not raining, 105 is raining.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to hack the remaining leaf wetness input for this. Leaf wetness makes more sense than trying to tell my server that this temperature is really a binary rain/no rain indicator.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
This sounds like a better way to identify the time for onset of rain. The rain rate or accumulation indication from the tipping bucket is always late, waiting for that first 0.01".

I previously used my Hydreon in "it's raining" mode with an X10 interface module and a chimer. It was pretty sensitive for the start of rain.

The Hydreon is now in tipper emulation mode, but this idea sounds intriguing. Maybe I should get a 2nd Hydreon...  :-k

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything