Author Topic: 2810 Rain Not Reset  (Read 33521 times)

Offline volvogirl

2810 Rain Not Reset
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Hi,

I have the 2810, just set it up this week.  Yesterday we had RAIN!  When I got up this morning the 24hr Rain amount still said .34 which is what it was yesterday.  It didn't reset to zero.  The manual says it resets at midnight.  So I thought maybe I had the am and pm mixed up.  I went into set and checked the time and something odd happened.  The date started displaying the DAY first instead of the MONTH like 21.11.09.  I looked in the manual and the pictures of the display show mmddyy but the text does say date-month-year.  Couldn't find how to change it.  Then after awhile (or something I did?) it changed back to mmddyy.

Any ideas why or what I did to change the date display? And why the rain didn't reset?  I'll watch it close to see if and when it does reset.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: 2810 Rain Not Reset
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
My 2315 has the date 211109 (ddmmyy) all the time (I think that's a European thing).  I rarely look at the console because it is wired into the computer, so the date doesn't matter too much to me.  Also, I have the console clock set to a 24-hour clock so that I don't get the am/pm mixed up.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »

It is valid if the 24Hr field is not zero, depending on when the rain happened the day before. It is a sliding 24 hr window. This is not to be confused with the Rainfall since midnight, which resets at 12am.

Offline GlennO

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »
If you set you clock format to 24hr it will chang the date format to d/m/y
on the 12hr format it will be m/d/y
GlennO

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
I'm still confused....on page 28 of my 2810 owner's manual, it clearly states that the "Last 24 hours of rainfall reset every day at 12:00am (Midnight).

In the Heavy weather manual, page 26, says the number is for the last 24 hours.  Supposedly I can reset in the software, but it never does reset the amount,
only the max resets and the reading for 24 hours stays.

Also, has anyone tested the accuracy of the 2810 rain collector.  Mine is mounted level about 5 feet above level ground in the middle of the yard.
It reads 2.05 inches while my 8" Novalynx collector has measured .90 inches on my Maximum Rainwatch, which is for the last 12 years, been
close to what the airport reports.  I will get an old fashioned rain gauge and do some testing I guess....the whole rain system on this thing has me
quite puzzled.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »

A rainfall total that resets at midnight is the daily rain total. The 24hr total is supposed to be a sliding 24 hour window. Some units support one or the other, some support both.

Given that other La Crosse units support 24Hr, and not daily, I am guessing you have a 24 hour sliding window.

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:17 AM »
My window is definitely a sliding window with respect to the 24 hour rainfall.  The owner's manual just confused me as it states it resets at midnight.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

If that is the only mistake, someone did a good job with translation from Chinese.

Most software (other than La Crosse) also can report the daily rain total (since midnight).

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:40:47 PM »

Has anyone tested the accuracy of the 2810 rain collector?  Mine is mounted level about 5 feet above level ground in the middle of the yard.
It reads 2.05 inches while my 8" Novalynx collector has measured .90 inches on my Maximum Rainwatch, which is for the last 12 years, been
close to what the airport reports.  I will get an old fashioned rain gauge and do some testing I guess....the whole rain system on this thing has me
quite puzzled.
[/quote]

Bump...

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:42 AM »
I do have the calibration information on the Novalynx collector.  Now I am trying to find some relationship between the diameter of the collector(s).  The Novalynx is an 8" diameter collector.  So if I dump 250mL of water through it, the same 250mL of water through a smaller diameter collector, as with the 2810 will probably read differently...

Any ideas??

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
I read in your previous post that your Novalynx measured .90 inches of rain. Couldn't you pour 1" in it (keeping track on how much you pour) then again the same amount into the 2810?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:31:36 AM by DanS »

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
I could indeed do that, but as I am wondering:

If I pour 250mL into the Novalynx and it measures 0.XX inches or XX tips of the bucket....

I don't believe that the same volume, 250mL of water into the LaCrosse will yield the same number of tips as the "buckets"
are not the same size.  I haven't measured the diameter of the LaCrosse rain collector but it is definitely
less than 8 inches, which is what the Novalynx diameter is.

It seems that the tipping bucket size would have to be calibrated to the diameter of the collector itself.

Never really put this much thought into the tipping bucket mechanism/sizing, but it is interesting!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
The catch area, bucket design (tip distance, size,etc.) will be different for the different rain gages. They are constructed so the mechanisms are designed to match the catch area. 250mm of water poured through both gages will more than likely give different bucket tip counts but the calculated displayed result should be 250mm of water for both.

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
I know from the calibration documentation for the Novalynx, it takes 8.24mL of water to tip the bucket and yield a 0.01" incremental reading on my display.

The question is..."How many mL of water will cause the LaCrosse bucket to tip, which will express an inch of rain being collected via it's catch area?" 

The buckets on the Novalynx are MUCH larger than those on the LaCrosse, so the same 8.24mL into the LaCrosse will yield quite
a few more bucket tips.

If I measure the catch area of the LaCrosse and relate that to the Novalynx as a percentage, then decrease the 8.24ml by the same
percentage.....

Might be a starting point....I don't even know if the LaCrosse gauge is user adjustable as the Novalynx is.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
It's not that hard...

Calculate the area of the 2810 rain collector in inches.

Multiply by 1 to get the cubic inch volume of 1" of rain it collects. (I know, a somewhat meaningless step.)

Convert that to whatever units of volume you can accurately measure. Google can do this. Say it's 6 cubic inches, and you want is in milliliters (ml).

In the Google search box, enter:
6 cubic inches in ml

and it will return

6 (cubic inches) = 98.322384 ml

Slowly trickle that volume of water through the collector and see how close you get to 1.00" of rain.

"Slowly" means take as long as you can, at least 20 minutes (a 3"/hour rain rate) to an hour (1"/hour rate), to do it.

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
From previous post:

"Multiply by 1 to get the cubic inch volume of 1" of rain it collects. (I know, a somewhat meaningless step.)"

My Novalynx has an 8" diameter collection diameter...this is a collection area of 50.26 square inches.

If I multiply this by 1 to get the cubic inch volumie of 1" collected rain I get 50.26 cubic inches,
which is 823.61 mL.  Divide this by 100 to get 8.236mL per one inch of rain, which is essentially what the calibration manual says (8.24mL = 0.01" of rainfall).

Thanks SLOweather....I'll see what I can come up with when I get home.  I don't know right off what the diameter of the
2810 collector is but will measure this evening.  I will post my findings later on with the method used and see if others
can corroborate.

Best regards,
Gman19

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
"Divide this by 100 to get 8.236mL per one inch of rain..."

Should read "Divide this by 100 to get 8.236mL per 0.01 inch of rain"

I rarely catch myself....lucky Friday I guess!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:55:38 AM »
gman19,  Are you having any luck with the formula's and the rain guage tweaking? I finally have my new 2810 station installed and going through the temp/humidty/dew point calibration and check out. I did run a quick check on the rain guage when I pulled it out of the box by pouring a 1/2" equivalent of rainfall through it and mine read high as well. I have ideas on how to adjust that but before I make any modifications to it I'd like to see it perform in an actual rain storm first. That will be a more accurate test for it I believe. So far the temp/humidty testing is giving excellent results! It's a learning experience as I go too. I'm lucky to have several sources to compare with while making my adjustments. There's an international airport a half a mile west of me and a Thai Meteoroligical Department station right next to it that provides METAR reports every 30 minutes (usually). Lots of fun. Keep in contact and we might be able to help each other out.
Cheers!

Dan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:05:18 AM by DanS »

Offline lou

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
I had the feeling that my 2810 is posting double of  the actual rainfall.  When I called La Crosse they told me that the test for the rain gauge is:

1. pour water into the gauge and count the number of tips until you reach 10, this should equal 0.19"

2. Wait 15 minutes

Do step 1 and 2 three times

I asked why you not just manually tip the paddles 10 times, he stated that the preferred method is by pouring water into the gauge.  I have not done this water test yet.

We finally got some rain yesterday and last night:

2810 rain gauge 0.63"

Walleyworld rain gauge 0.31"

Coffee can, I'm guessing around 1/4"

We are expected to get another storm in that could be around 1".  With that much rain my coffee can should be measurable.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »
We are expected to get another storm in that could be around 1".  With that much rain my coffee can should be measurable.

I would highly recommend joining CoCoRaHS!  
It is a precipitation measuring project all over the country and we are always looking for volunteers.  I'm sure other CoCo guys and gals here will back me up on this.  You need to get a good manual gauge to calibrate your 2810 anyway.  The CoCoRaHS gauge is an excellent gauge IMO.  Check it out here.

Good luck!

Greg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:54:01 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
 When I called La Crosse they told me that the test for the rain gauge is:

1. pour water into the gauge and count the number of tips until you reach 10, this should equal 0.19"

2. Wait 15 minutes

I asked why you not just manually tip the paddles 10 times, he stated that the preferred method is by pouring water into the gauge.  I have not done this water test yet.

???? Should have asked him/her "how do I know if I poured a gallon or 2 ounces through to get the 10 bucket tips?". It sounds like that test is good for checking the electric/mechanical and software portion but does nothing for measuring quantity.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:24:51 PM by DanS »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »
We are expected to get another storm in that could be around 1".  With that much rain my coffee can should be measurable.

I would highly recommend joining CoCoRaHS
It is a precipitation measuring project all over the country and we are always looking for volunteers.  I'm sure other CoCo guys and gals here will back me up on this.  You need to get a good manual gauge to calibrate your 2810 anyway.  The CoCoRaHS gauge is an excellent gauge IMO.  Check it out here.

Good luck!

Greg

I sure wish CoCoRaHS would expand their coverage to outside U.S. boundries and go worldwide. It rains outside the U.S. too! There are people who travel that could benefit from this coverage. I for one would jump at the chance to join up and contribute. Can't understand this. I contacted a CoCo rep. a while back and asked this. I was told "thank you for your interest but at this time ....blah blah blah" and so on. :roll:

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »
Still wating to hear from them. inquired into it when thet first started hr. Seems like they where only interested in the Matsu valley area.  Think alaska polictics where in play more then research.

Offline jetpuf

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
I had the feeling that my 2810 is posting double of  the actual rainfall.  When I called La Crosse they told me that the test for the rain gauge is:

2. Wait 15 minutes

I asked why you not just manually tip the paddles 10 times, he stated that the preferred method is by pouring water into the gauge.  I have not done this water test yet.

2810 rain gauge 0.63"

Looks like I'm having the same issues with my rain gauge. I'm getting constantly twice the rain measure that every other station around me is getting.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
I had the feeling that my 2810 is posting double of  the actual rainfall.  When I called La Crosse they told me that the test for the rain gauge is:

2. Wait 15 minutes

I asked why you not just manually tip the paddles 10 times, he stated that the preferred method is by pouring water into the gauge.  I have not done this water test yet.

2810 rain gauge 0.63"

We are expected to get another storm in that could be around 1".  With that much rain my coffee can should be measurable.

Looks like I'm having the same issues with my rain gauge. I'm getting constantly twice the rain measure that every other station around me is getting.

It looks like the LaCrosse tech only covered part of the cal. procedure. He/she did not specify how much (quantity of) water is required to tip the buckets 10 times.

I've gave mine a quick look out of the box and it appeared to be set to read high also (around 1.5" for 1" measured).  Since the WS-2810 gauge measures 4.5 inch diameter this equates to 15.906375 sq. in. area.   15.906 cu. in.= 260.6588 milliliter = 8.813922 oz. for 1 inch of rainfall.   After making some adjustments and pouring water through the gauge many times it now reads close to 260ml gives for 50 tips and reads ~ 1.00" on the console. Need a real rain storm to confirm now before tweeking more if need be.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:40:05 PM by DanS »

anything