Author Topic: Got my VP2 wireless!  (Read 1959 times)

Offline wrz0170

Got my VP2 wireless!
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
I just took delivery of my Davis VP2 6153 (wireless) and wireless transmitter for the anemometer.   First impressions, which I’m sure comes to no surprise to many of you owners, impressive!!!!

Scientific Sales did a great job of packaging and delivery and price.  Relatively quick delivery considering ground from NJ to NV. 

Opening the box and you can immediately see that this is no kid’s toy that you’ll find at Walmart or Home Depot.  The ISS, console and anemometer scream quality.  Dare I say, maybe a bit itimidating at first.  The ISS alone is quite the beast in size and weight.  Looks like a street lamp!

The console, in research holds some contention as being dated.  Maybe so, but it appears to be designed well.

I affixed the cups to the vane and went outside to test as we had a really windy day here in Reno.   I have to agree with a Poster on another thread who mentioned that it’s rather pleasing watching the cups spin and the vane rotate. To that end, I may have to find a spot, even if less than ideal, to see it or at least easy to see when I walk outside. 

Of course finding a suitable spot for the ISS suite where I can do occasional maintenance and as needed, change the battery. 

So far, I’m glad I went this route and look forward to firing it up.  Still waiting on some mounting hardware and the bellfryboy data logger to hook into my raspberry pi that will be running Weewx.

In any event, most pleasantly surprise and off to a good start.   :-)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Got my VP2 wireless!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
I just took delivery of my Davis VP2 6153 (wireless) and wireless transmitter for the anemometer.   First impressions, which I’m sure comes to no surprise to many of you owners, impressive!!!!
Congratulations!!! UU  All nice and shiny, eh?  Even has the "new car smell", doesn't it?  ;)
Scientific Sales did a great job of packaging and delivery and price.  Relatively quick delivery considering ground from NJ to NV. 
Ryan is a fantastic person to deal with...topnotch!!! 
Opening the box and you can immediately see that this is no kid’s toy that you’ll find at Walmart or Home Depot.  The ISS, console and anemometer scream quality.  Dare I say, maybe a bit itimidating at first.  The ISS alone is quite the beast in size and weight.  Looks like a street lamp!

The console, in research holds some contention as being dated.  Maybe so, but it appears to be designed well.
Well, you bought what is probably the best consumer-grade weather station available so you ought to get a quality unit.  They are nice. :)
I affixed the cups to the vane and went outside to test as we had a really windy day here in Reno.   I have to agree with a Poster on another thread who mentioned that it’s rather pleasing watching the cups spin and the vane rotate. To that end, I may have to find a spot, even if less than ideal, to see it or at least easy to see when I walk outside. 
Make sure there is a slight bit of up and down play for the anemometer...it mentions it in the manual.  Also, remember this is all plastic so any screws/bolts you might need to tighten do so gently and don't over tighten.

You'll get over the novelty of the cups spinning...to a degree...I still like to see them spinning and the wind vane following the wind direction.  :lol:  There are many days that I never glance at my station, though.  And, since adding the new spiked rain bucket I seldom check it out very closely.  I guess the new units come with the spiked, hourglass-shaped bucket.  For anybody using the older straight-sided bucket and having trouble with debris or gifts from feathered friends *I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE NEW SPIKED BUCKETS!!!*.  I swear I have not had even a leaf in mine since I switch to the spiked version!!!  My next project will be replacing the temp/hum sensor with the newer more precise one (already have it, just to big of a procrastinator :lol: )  Probably in the next couple of years I'll need to replace the solar panel door on the ISS...it's getting a bit weathered and cloudy...and the latch/clip broke off a year or so ago (but it still works well and keeps the inside dry).

Of course finding a suitable spot for the ISS suite where I can do occasional maintenance and as needed, change the battery. 
Locate the unit where you will get the best weather data.  Anemometer up as high as possible and as far away as possible from structures (including trees and bushes).  ISS in the open as much as possible...again as far away from structures as possible and over grass...4' to 5' high would be great. 

Don't worry about replacing the battery in your site selection process...it shouldn't be any more problem than walking up to the ISS, opening the solar-panel door, and replacing it.  But, it will most likely be quiet a while before you need to replace that battery....I bought a couple of batteries (actually cheaper to buy several than to buy one, weird) a couple of years ago figuring I needed to replace the original.  Well, those batteries are still sitting in the package and the OE battery will have been in operation for five years this coming May.  I'm sure some batteries have shorter lives but most folks report very long service from them...they shared that info with me before I bought my "replacement" batteries but I *knew* I needed to replace the battery and bought them anyhow.    :smile:
So far, I’m glad I went this route and look forward to firing it up.  Still waiting on some mounting hardware and the bellfryboy data logger to hook into my raspberry pi that will be running Weewx.

In any event, most pleasantly surprise and off to a good start.   :-)
Unless you got a downright lemon (which I don't know if anyone's ever got one of those) you should enjoy the VP2 for years to come.  I've replaced the anemometer cartridge in mine and the rain bucket for the improved one...other than that it's sat out there in the heat, cold, rain and drought and just plugged along sending data to the console and beyond.  I even installed an electric fence around a garden that's between my station and house.  I figured I'd get some radio interference...nope, nada, still percolating just fine. :)

Choose your location for best data gathering.  Sometimes we have to compromise.  My anemometer sits about 20' high...not the 33' suggested/recommended...but I'm comfortable with at that height and was a height that I could attain without getting overly involved in tower construction.  Enjoy the trip getting it set up, that's half the fun!!!!  Once set up it really maintains itself nicely with the solar panel and supercap...which reminds me...a sunny spot is a great benefit!!!!  :)

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
A friend and I spent Big Bucks at the Dayton, OH Hamvention many years ago and brought home our boxes which were like small suitcases with the ORIGINAL Vantage Pro (wasn't even called a I at the time, obviously) and it has been in use since then.  I used to write the date of purchase in the front of all my manuals, but can't find that manual now.

Needless to say, the temperature and humidity (more humidity) sensor is kaput, and despite changing the battery (which is in the ISS up about 30' on the side of my tower to get the anemometer as close to tree top as I can) and some other tweaking, there still are data flowing back to the console.  My friend has aged, unable to keep his own home anymore and has moved many states away to be near his caring daughters, and I inherited most of his station.  They couldn't find the anemometer after taking it down, but his ISS and rain bucket and console are here.  The console can hear my station almost all the time (especially when we have sun and the solar panel is putting out some voltage) yet when it is very cold as it has been this winter, it usually takes a winter's nap until the morning, then data show up.  The solar radiation is almost dead on compared to a much more expensive pyranometer, and as much as I curse every time I want to look at the console to see the numbers and I have to get a flashlight turned on and aimed towards the LCD, I still take the time and make the effort to look at it many times.  Most of the time the link to the weather computer is no longer sending info from the data logger, but that's because I already have a couple instances of Weather Display running, and I get confused, but it still works, too.

I know the new ones (VP IIs) are better than the one I had, but who can speak badly of something this old that still mostly works.  My wife has the same comment about me.  And I about my dear old dog who isn't as fast chasing the squirrels or rabbits as he used to, but still has a big part of my heart.  Those with dogs will know what I'm talking about.

I'm hoping that before I loose ability or interest that Davis will finally put a new or upgraded unit on the market, so I can enjoy that for a little while, at least.  Especially the console thing, but the rest of the sensors seem to work as designed, and better than most amateur grade stuff that would be replaced many times over by now.

Have fun with your new station, don't be overwhelmed.  Enjoy the passion.  And most of all have fun.

Dale

But the Vantage Pro, along with my dog, still can hear pretty well, and until I have to pack stuff up or the auction occurs when I'm elsewhere, the VP will still be part of, but no longer the only, weather station on my wall.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
 UU

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
Thanks Ed!

Yep, it appears to be a later version with the bird spikes!  Now for the lovely topic of location.   My first site has the longest and best sun exposure.  The bottom of the ISS is about 8’ up.  If I was to drop a plumb, maybe a foot from the edge of the pavers.   The rain collector sits above the pergola. I know not the best case, but would this site do as in the pic provided via Dropbox.

Middle of yard, not an option. 

Back up location would be on a 4x4 fence post, about 5’ up from ground.   No grass, but stone. The other caveat, the ISS would be in a place where it could get damaged if some cretins get the mind to do so as school kids walk frequently on the path behind.  So trying to keep things “in yard”.

Sorry for the Dropbox link, I can’t seem to imbed any images. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z06wst2mhs12hvj/Photo%20Jan%2025%2C%2010%2024%2051%20AM.jpg?dl=0

William

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:25:27 PM »
   My first site has the longest and best sun exposure.  The bottom of the ISS is about 8’ up.  If I was to drop a plumb, maybe a foot from the edge of the pavers.   The rain collector sits above the pergola. I know not the best case, but would this site do as in the pic provided via Dropbox.

Why not on the South side of the pergola or one of the "rafter" extensions?

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
   My first site has the longest and best sun exposure.  The bottom of the ISS is about 8’ up.  If I was to drop a plumb, maybe a foot from the edge of the pavers.   The rain collector sits above the pergola. I know not the best case, but would this site do as in the pic provided via Dropbox.

Why not on the South side of the pergola or one of the "rafter" extensions?

As it points now, it’s about 220 deg on the compass, so SW.   Hmm.  I could move it to the last extension.  It would be facing SE or about 140. The sun does come around that way and visible. 

How much sun does the battery need to be refreshed? I looked in the manual, didn’t see anything on this (unless I missed it).

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:59:12 PM »
William, everyone has to compromise some part of their setups.  Go with what you got and see how it works out.  You are reporting the conditions of *your* local environment.  The stone surface will come into play, the height of the rain bucket, etc., etc.,.  Don't sweat it.  As time goes by you can adjust and tweak what you can and accept the things you can't.  The big thing is that you're making progress and it won't be long before you go LIVE!!!!!  :)

As for aiming the solar panel...  Southern exposure is always best...*if* it's not blocked.  Early morning and late evening sun is weak while mid-morning to mid-afternoon will be the stronger sunlight.  You know from which direction you receive the longest period of strong light from...go for that.  Don't forget to consider seasonal changes....both in the sun position overhead and also of trees having or not having leaves.

Enjoy the tinkering!!!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:02:34 PM »
OK, I couldn't tell from the picture.  But SE would be as good as SW, and on that last extension (facing SE), it would be better exposed to wind (aspiration helps temperature accuracy), and closer to being over grass.

Of course, you probably have a sprinkler system?

Ideally, of course, it should face South for maximum sun - but that (SW or SE) won't be a big deal where you live.

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
OK, I couldn't tell from the picture.  But SE would be as good as SW, and on that last extension (facing SE), it would be better exposed to wind (aspiration helps temperature accuracy), and closer to being over grass.

Of course, you probably have a sprinkler system?

Ideally, of course, it should face South for maximum sun - but that (SW or SE) won't be a big deal where you live.

Yep.  Got a sprinkler system.  As the sun comes around that corner of the pergola, the intensity ramps up.  Obviously not as much in the winter.  Summertime is for the iguanas. :)

Maybe like Ed suggests, have fun with it, monitor and cross check to see how it’s doing and make adjustments.

Part Deux coming up over the weekend with the anemometer/solar transmitter install.  Speaking of winds.  The winds we get here at times will make those cups dance!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »
it would be better exposed to wind (aspiration helps temperature accuracy)
Never truer words spoken, but it's a 24hr FARS, at least if he gets some decent sun... ;)

anything