Author Topic: Homebrew/Homemade/DIY/buildyourown cabled temperature-humidity sensor for Davis  (Read 1307 times)

Offline WxDx

Has anyone heard of people having success putting together a temperature humidity sensor and getting it to interface with the cabled Davis consoles and the Weatherlink?

I've been searching around for a bit and I've seen that lots of people have success using things like the SHT11 and associated Temp/Humidty sensors for homemade weather stations.
I recently obtained an old unused cabled Davis Weather Monitor II station but it has a temperature sensor rather than a temperature/humidity sensor. It'd be great to get that kinda of data in this system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
While I am sure it is doable, it would be far cheaper and likely easier to use I2C or 1-wire on a Raspberry Pi.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Agree with Bushman. In principle, it's surely possible (to build a DIY WMII T/H sensor). In practice, you'll probably waste a lot of time and effort trying to reverse engineer the circuitry and/or track down the analogue RH sensor element, which no-one else AFAIK has been able to identify or purchase - it's probably long since obsolete and unobtainable, with no known substitutes. There are almost certainly better uses for your time and more productive sensor challenges.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WxDx

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to keep it limited to being able to interface to the Weather Monitor 2 console, for which I also have a weatherlink module, rather than a raspberry pi.

I've asked Davis support if their Temp/Humidity sensor replacement for their ISS board could work, it already has a telephone cable type wire attached to it, so maybe? On the other hand that sensor is sending info to the ISS so it's probably not sending in a format that's readable by the console.  Hopefully Davis can advise on a suitable replacement.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Hopefully Davis can advise on a suitable replacement.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the answer will be that no suitable replacement is available. Short of finding an old WMII T/H sensor on eg eBay (and good luck with that) I'm afraid that you're not going to restore humidity readings on a WMII station nowadays.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything