Author Topic: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?  (Read 16870 times)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
Since 5 AM this morning WU has not accepted any new Weather Webcam pictures from me  :sad:
I have been getting the message :

Connected to webcam.wunderground.com.
421 50 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.

Is anyone else seeing this ?

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
Re: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
Mine has message that host hung up connection.  No pictures for 9 hours
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline JaredC15

• Jack County Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »
I have several cameras and everyone of them stopped updating at 4 AM CDT.

Offline gshep86

• AuroraWeather.net
  • AuroraWeather.net
    • Aurora, Colorado Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »
Same. I changed wunderground to pull the images from my server instead of me pushing them via ftp. Seeks to be working fine using that method. Hopefully they get FTP back up soon. A lot of cameras will be dropped after 24 hours with no uploads.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »
Same issue here and I get the same error message (running YAWCAM Software). I hope they get it back up and running soon!
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Same for me - no updates since 2:07am AZ time, 5:07am EDT..

Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
For the past 3 nights between 12:34 and 3 am, and then 6 am,  I have received notice from Weather Underground similar for both data and pictures.   So me, being in panic mode, started switching ethernet cables, wondering about my logger, modem ..  I then wondered about the ISP.

So I checked with isitdown and found I am not alone with the issue,   seems they are either installing, repairing, rebooting servers  and that might be the same issue. here is for Centurylink, but put in the name of your isp and read through the list to see the times and what people are having issues with.

We are fine it is problems with the ISP getting the data to Wunderground:  http://downdetector.com/status/centurylink

Offline Eno

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:03 PM »

We are fine it is problems with the ISP getting the data to Wunderground:  http://downdetector.com/status/centurylink

You sure about that? Cable One ALSO having problem getting the data to WU??  Seems like it's related to WU Redesign, see that thread.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

You sure about that? Cable One ALSO having problem getting the data to WU??  Seems like it's related to WU Redesign, see that thread.
In my case definitely.  Right now we are updating.   

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »
This is sounding a lot like the scenario developing last December, just before WunderWeenies flushed all the NOAA Weather Radio streams.... might start thinking about alternatives.. hope I'm wrong...
Some of us still predict they'll dump webcams unless they can generate consistent revenue from your hard work... by reselling access, etc... which they couldn't with the radio streams....

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
I spoke too soon. Last night all of mine were not updating and claim that nothing is being sent .  My only thought is that since my cameras are bloomsky  perhaps they are nto being sent.  attached happens to be the sign up for bloomsky.  i did send both , WU and bloomsky the same email of inquiry.  Should WU fail,  I jus will have to figure out a better way of getting images on the site or not at all.   Their server is down. why?  that remains unknown
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:50:05 AM by Aardvark »

Offline gshep86

• AuroraWeather.net
  • AuroraWeather.net
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
I figured it was a bug at first, but its been going on so long now that I think it might be intentional.

Offline JaredC15

• Jack County Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
I figured it was a bug at first, but its been going on so long now that I think it might be intentional.

I am starting to believe that also. Just waiting on the official announcement that Webcams has been discontinued.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »

I am starting to believe that also. Just waiting on the official announcement that Webcams has been discontinued.

for me it is a pain in the ass.  I only see DOT cameras on their site if I explore the webcam maps.   I have been picking up the  images my bloomsky cameras send and put that image on my webpage.   The webcams I do have, if I ftp them to my site, I get a whole big list with different names, times and dates and that seems to be the standard.  the only ohter way is keep Weatherdisplay or Weather cat running 24/7   I can do that , but I really don't want honking big files sitting around.

So If Weatherunderground isn't going to be carrying webcams from pws, well shoot.

Offline Eno

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
Some of us predict that WU will continue to host webcams, and that the enormity of enterprise-level upgrades is responsible for the current and temporary disruptions.

In addition, some of us do not characterize the deployment of a webcam as "hard work". :razz:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »
Some of us predict that WU will continue to host webcams, and that the enormity of enterprise-level upgrades is responsible for the current and temporary disruptions.

In addition, some of us do not characterize the deployment of a webcam as "hard work". :razz:

I have written them twice and now have their phone number. Depending on how tomorrow goes, with going to an apple orchard, a BBQ place,getting my granddaughter from school and baking those apples,  I might give them a call just to see if they say.  Perhaps that is the case as you say,  I can wait this all out.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
Or, you can be like me and not worry about it, it will either work or it wont when its ready :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline adsl3g

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 02:29:36 AM »
Having same issues from South Africa

Offline Live24NZ

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:28 AM »
Same issue uploading via ftp using Blue Iris from New Zealand. Considering the effort many of us put into maintaining our camera sites and in my case considerable expense it would be nice to have some communication from WU. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
I tried to call them, their number is out of service, not good.  i did find this:https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.wunderground.com#question      and the only webcams that I find on their site happen to be department of transportation road cams or some from a travel agency.  what it appears to me is that rather than taking our photos, they have embedded links to other sites.   Eh... sucks but I think that is the game they play.

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Same issue here.  I sent a support ticket email to them, but no response as of yet.  They show three different servers for webcams.wunderground.com and all three are showing the 50 user limit.  So I'm guessing they "updated" the servers and need to modify their config to allow more than 50 users at a time.  Some of those cameras (like the road cams) may log in, and not disconnect, holding their connection open allowing them to continue sending if their one of those first 50 users. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:12:06 PM by gellenb »

Offline gshep86

• AuroraWeather.net
  • AuroraWeather.net
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »
Same issue here.  I sent a support ticket email to them, but no response as of yet.  They show three different servers for webcams.wunderground.com and all three are showing the 50 user limit.  So I'm guessing they "updated" the servers and need to modify their config to allow more than 50 users at a time.  Some of those cameras (like the road cams) may log in, and not disconnect, holding their connection open allowing them to continue sending if their one of those first 50 users.

I kept hitting connect on my FTP client and eventually got connected as user 49/50. It then proceeded to reject my username and password. I'm pretty sure the cameras that are working on the site are using the pull method as opposed to pushing via ftp

Offline Stratocaster

• WU Station ID INEWPROV18
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
Same issue for me. My last image on WU site was at 5:10am on Sept 12th. When I do an FTP test, it says "fail".

I sent an email to Kari at WU, since she was very helpful in helping me get my cam on line 6 weeks ago. No reply yet, although I would imagine she is being flooded with emails right now.

WU should have done the right thing and communicated the issue to all of us, since by now it's obvious that it is an issue.
Mike
WU Station ID INEWPROV18
Nassau, Bahamas

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
My picture is now working on my site page

lets hear it for WU!!!!         HEAR HEAR HEAR
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Mine too! Finally!
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

anything