Author Topic: Air Quality Sensors  (Read 1290 times)

alanb and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Air Quality Sensors
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
oh, TLA reffering to the forum name being only 3 letters

I atually googled TLA and The Lat Airbender did actually come up (as did three letter acronym)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
Only the reentrant version; here it's TWO letter acronym.  :)

Offline Eno

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »
Purple Air finally got back to me after a couple weeks.  The "Support" email worked whereas the "Contact" email did not.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:40 PM »
Purple Air finally got back to me after a couple weeks.  The "Support" email worked whereas the "Contact" email did not.

Did they seem good?  Are you buying one?

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
Finally heard back from Purpleair.
They confirm they do ship to the Uk and the mains supply works from 100-250 volts.
Think I will hold fire on ordering one of their sensors though until I see a genuine first hand users review ...

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
Hi,
I have attached a link to what appear to be a review of performance on the PurpleAir sensor taking into account field and lab conditions

http://www.aqmd.gov/aq-spec/product/purpleair-pa-ii

Most of it is over my head though. (a bit like the particles being measured ...)

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
Well... Im not that excited about this. As far as I can see it does not measure any gas concentrations only PP and for 250USD? Im also a bit suspicious about anything from WU based on previous experience.

What are the pros and cons of thinking about air pollution from a point of view of gas type concentration, or particles?

I have been wondering about pollution from nearby outdoor wood burning, so I think (?) particle detection alone might be interesting to me.  The quality looks okay (possibly very good?), but, I am still concerned about the relatively high price too.

Looking at the map, it might be that some of the red areas are related to forrest and brush fires.  I guess in the metro regions it might be industrial output and car exhaust on some days (smog).

They have gone from about 250 sensors to about 500 since we have been discussing this topic.  Most of the concentration of sensor locations are still close to places they say have business centers.

But, there are still very few returns on Google.  WU lists them on the main pages, but the new system does not integrate into WU, what's with that?  What is the connection between purple air and WU, professional friends? A possible WU future acquisition trying to prove themselves worthy of acquisition?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:18:37 PM by waysta »

Offline eliteweathernz

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
Hi all,

I have one of these sensors up and working here in New Zealand and it runs seamlessly. After initial setup (which is relatively easy), unit just runs.

The readings are responsive however temp and humidity should be ignored due to the sensors proximity to the WIFI Board, which causes higher readings.

I have spoken with Purple Air and I will be selling these from my website.
www.eliteweather.co.nz

The mains power plug that comes with the unit, will be changed to NZ/AUS standard 3pin plug so for easy installation.

If you would like to know more I can be emailed through my website so please do ask away.

Cheers,

Weather Display now supports the sensor and I am working with it author to better improve its integration with WD.

Online K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 02:11:57 PM »
Interesting to know.
Taking a serious look at the purple air sensor.
Would be nice if they supplied some widgets to use on my personal web page and not just their web site.
Here in the Farmland of Michigan could provide some interesting information.  Be even better if the EPA actually took note and made use of the FREE data.
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline eliteweathernz

« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 05:46:45 PM »
They are very useful sensors and a fraction of the cost of expensive air quality sensor sensors equipment.

Iím also working on having these run totally standalone, no need for mains power or local internet connection.

Brilliant for local environment councils and other industries.

Be great to hear more feedback.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:37:24 AM »
Might want to check out https://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,65512.0.html Really only the first couple pages would give you info on this person's experance with the Purple Air. The rest is just getting WD to get data from the unit.

Online K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
Re: Purple Air Sensors and Ozone
« Reply #36 on: Today at 01:43:49 PM »
I have sent several (Unanswered) Emails to Purple air.  If they want us to support them it would help if they responded.
I will probably get one of their sensors next week.  My only reservation I would hate to buy one only to have them come out with one that also measures Ozone 2 weeks later (the usual luck of Bob)
Has anyone else seen, or gotten any information from them in regards to adding Ozone detection?
I see it mentioned on their web site, but I can not google any further information.
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

anything