Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 27298 times)

Offline phillipdampier

Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #725 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
My feed on Broadcastify is still up and running. It is why I have redundant feeds, in case one goes down.

Offline sacreyweather

• Echo Valley Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Echo Valley Weather
« Reply #726 on: September 08, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
I may look into Broadcastify as a backup this evening when I arrive home from work.
CWOP: D2073, GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus, PWSweather,  CoCoRaHS: AR-SL-23  

Saline Weather on Twitter
Blitzortung Station 1387

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #727 on: September 08, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry for being MIA, Things are back up! Not sure what happened may IceCast crashed. I see a lot of connections to the West Palm Beach feed.

Offline sacreyweather

• Echo Valley Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Echo Valley Weather
« Reply #728 on: September 08, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Thanks, Chris for the update!!!!
CWOP: D2073, GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus, PWSweather,  CoCoRaHS: AR-SL-23  

Saline Weather on Twitter
Blitzortung Station 1387

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #729 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
Anybody know the best settings for the icecast server? It appears to be crashing when the load is very high i.e seeing over 1000 people on the West Palm Beach feed.

Offline tim273

« Reply #730 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Anybody know the best settings for the icecast server? It appears to be crashing when the load is very high i.e seeing over 1000 people on the West Palm Beach feed.

I don't know off the top of my head, but you could try the icecast forum.  Here's a couple links that might help:

http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=7692&sid=d7120fc51fd347669051374bdd8d677f
http://icecast.org/loadtest/
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2005-July/001462.html

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #731 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
The main site NOAA WEATHER RADIO ORG is running over 2000 hits per hour since the 5th, over 60,000 daily.... somebody's server could definitely be overloaded.... dropped off considerably so far today with the WxDns slowdown... I've the Owenton KY feed running through WxDyns and the utikities I posted for monitoring have notified me a couple of times it couldn't access server, but it's immediately reconnected..,. so it's not so much an encoder connection, on my end, as a stream connection from WAN... timing out on stream access...

CoCoRaHS KY-FR-1  CWOP DW5536

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #732 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
...now that feed is connection to server is timing in and out again...   ](*,)

The following error(s) has been reported
Server FktWx5 reports Possible Time Out Connecting to server

Any previous error's have now reported resolved and all servers are now shown as up

-----
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:59:25 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us

Offline USAF_Pride

« Reply #733 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Couple of solutions:
Disconnect users after x amount of time
Limit the number of connections

These settings could be implemented during severe weather events.  Maybe a limit of 10 minutes as I think it would repeat itself within that time frame. How often does the information change within an hour?

One of the links that @tim273 posted has an explanation of server maximums.

Maybe a notification on noaaweatherradio.org that there is high server load due to the hurricane and to please limit listening. Maybe a "donate" button so more resources can be brought to bear in the future?

As of 6:45AM EST, 9 SEP 17 (statistics since the server was restarted, so they are a bit low)
Code: [Select]
Stream Name: West Palm Beach 162.475
Bitrate: 32
Listeners (current): 69
Listeners (peak): 202
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:23:18 AM by USAF_Pride »

Offline phillipdampier

« Reply #734 on: September 09, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
It is only going to get much worse. Broadcastify reports its W Palm Beach feed has an average of 4,000-5,000 listeners as of last night, hour after hour all night long. A number of those are likely streaming the feed continuously, listening for future updates, warnings, etc. When a severe weather event occurs, historically a lot of listeners park on the stream, sometimes for hours if it is a prolonged event with ongoing warnings and updates.

You can expect that number to approach 8,000-9,000 concurrent listeners when Irma makes landfall. There have been feeds on Broadcastify that approached 15,000 concurrent listeners, so be aware if the alternative is noaaweatherradio.org, many thousands will likely find their way there as well.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »
Hey guys actually not 100% sure it was a high load problem or not. Still investigating on exact cause. At any rate I think things have been quite stable since yesterdays issues.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #736 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Hey guys actually not 100% sure it was a high load problem or not. Still investigating on exact cause. At any rate I think things have been quite stable since yesterdays issues.
I'm not sure the entire issue was with the Icecast, either... I was tracing timeouts on my route into and out of the Level 3 router in NYC ....
I've turned on the 'experimental' Miami direct forecast feeds, something I should have done earlier, that may help with some of the SEastern feeds....
We've also picked up a couple of new feeds out of Georgia, and a couple alternates.... The Daytona Beach feed had changed URLs, and is back up...
Traffic through noaaweatherradio.org peaked at
3200 visits and 143550 hits yesterday from 3000 different sites
interesting in that all the feed links are 'click thrus' to the feeds!

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us

anything