Author Topic: MDL Experimental GMOS 7-Day Forecast Script  (Read 5375 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
MDL Experimental GMOS 7-Day Forecast Script
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
This script is for a Saratoga template and displays several different NWS Meteorological Development Lab GMOS 6hr. forecasts at 3 hr. intervals for 192 hrs.  There are only a couple of options to set.  First, there is an option to use 'onclick' rather than the default 'onmouseover' display of the charts.  Second, the width of the maps is settable up to the maximum default chart width of 800px.  You can also set a minimum width to display the charts, which is set at 656px currently.  If you eliminate the inset border style you will need to set this width at 660px.

The code has been tested for several months and has also successfully navigated our recent DST=>ST transition, but bugs might persist.  I've removed my primitive debugging code and tried to comment the code to make it more understandable.

If you set this script to widescreen in a Saratoga template page it will max the charts out at 800px and eliminate the 'Larger Map' hyperlinks.  It uses an undocumented browser feature, present in all modern browsers,  to center the output on a widescreen template.

The script uses jQuery's load() to partially load the page when a new chart type is selected from the dropdown list.  This avoids reloading the entire Saratoga template when the chart type is changed.

Bear in mind that this page uses a set of EXPERIMENTAL MDL charts.  They might just disappear or they might change considerably if and when they are massaged into the NWS-NOAA family of regularly available information.  Meanwhile, enjoy!

Edit 2103 Nov 20:  Forgot to include a link to the page on my site.  Also, the map selections are 'Weather', 'Precipitation', Thunder', 'Severe', 'Precip. Intensity', 'Frozen Precip', and 'Freezing Temp.'.

Edit 2013 Nov 23:  The css style to center the script's output on wide pages was inadvertently omitted.  The latest zip now includes it.

Edit 2014 Feb 5:  The script wasn't properly adapting to the change between Standard Time and Daylight Savings Time, so it wasn't displaying the correct day-hour for a little over one hour twice a day.  The wxmdlgmos-2hk-192hfc-2.zip corrects this problem.

Edit 2014 Mar 28:  The MDL cron job behind the generation of these maps has been erratic for the past few weeks, and the slide-shows are no longer available.  For example, at the moment the last run for these maps was yesterday.  In view of this, I've revised the script to eliminate the slide-show link and to emphasize the caution that must be used when viewing these charts.  The AM <=> PM switch-overs contained flawed logic and weren't working.  I think this problem has been fixed in the version 3 zip.  No prior versions are now available.

Edit 2015 June 10:  The MDL is now creating Alaska maps for all parameters except 'Liquid Potential' exactly like for the lower 48 states.  The MDL also publishes a similar series of maps comparing their Gridded MOS Forecast Maps with the National Digital Guidance Database Maps.  They drop to every six hour rather than every three hour forecasts after 3 days, but they're still interesting.  The version with today's date displays all of these experimental forecast maps.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:20:57 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mikeym2m

• Senior Contributor
    • MikeyM's Thornhurst PA Weather
Re: MDL Experimental GMOS 7-Day Forecast Script
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
Hi Jerry

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Updated file fixed everything. Thanks

Cheers

:grin:

MikeyM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:54:37 PM by mikeym2m »

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:08 PM »
Windoes 7 says it is invalid file and will not let me extract it.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
Please re-download the new zip.  I thought I had checked the zip after moving the latest version into it, but obviously I didn't. :oops:  The zip should now be valid.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08:03 PM »
Thanks Jerry I have added it.

Paul

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
Working now...thanks

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
Jerry

Wondering if you could do a script of the aviation surface maps when time permits ?

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/avnsfc.shtml#sfctable

Offline jahuff

• johnsnhweather
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the script it's now in production.

John

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:28 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks for the script it's now in production.

John
Looks good, John, but I noticed a problem with my script:  the 'center' class isn't defined.  Unfortunately I define it in my top.php and often forget to include it in the internal css of my scripts.  Just add
Code: [Select]
.center {
width:100%;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}
to
<style type="text/css">
.hidden {
display: none;
position: absolute;
left: 0px;
top:  0px;
}
.shown {
display: block;
}
in wxmdlgmos-2hk-192h.php making it read
<style type="text/css">
.hidden {
display: none;
}
.shown {
display: block;
}
.center {
width:100%;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
}
</style>
and it should center correctly.  My apologies for the oversight.  The amended css style is also in the newest zip.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Jerry

Wondering if you could do a script of the aviation surface maps when time permits ?

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/avnsfc.shtml#sfctable

Those are production maps.  They are the same as those on this WPC page.  You can view a loop of these past 24 hr. every 3 hr. maps here.  The past 24 hrs. are all that appear to be available for analysis.  There are quite a number of similar products available for display alone as well as in loops.  I'll think about scripting some of these into a new templated page.

Edit 2103 Nov 27:  Thought about it, then tried it.  The script is here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:02:31 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Giorgos77

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
Hello, from a newbie
One quick question. Is this script available fro Europe's cities as well? and if yes how can i make it work for Europe?
Thank you very much

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
Hello, from a newbie
One quick question. Is this script available fro Europe's cities as well? and if yes how can i make it work for Europe?
Thank you very much

Thanks for the compliment.  But...sorry, but it's only available for the US because the images are created by the US NWS and are on its servers.  If  you can find a comparable set of images elsewhere it might be possible to rewrite the script for those images.  Bear in mind that these are presently experimental images, which aren't in production by the NWS at this time but are produced by their Meteorological Development Laboratory (MDL).
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »
I happened to check this forecast script at 12:30 PM today and saw that the date-time's were incorrect.  The script wasn't properly adapting to the change between Standard Time and Daylight Savings Time, so it wasn't displaying the correct day-hour for a little over one hour twice a day.  The wxmdlgmos-2hk-192hfc-2.zip in the first post above corrects this problem.  The only changed script is 'inc-gmos2hkmgrid-fc.php' which is in the zip attached to this post.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
    • McKean County Weather, Smethport Pa.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Hey Jerry, nice work again.

Have added it to my pages today and it projected perfectly with our 2 to 4 inches of snow advisory...

http://www.mckeanweather.com/mwfuturecast.php

Brad
Mckean County Weather
Located on upper Marvin Creek
https://mckeanweather.com/
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
A word of caution regarding this script:  the MDL cron job behind the generation of these maps has been erratic for the past few weeks, and the slide-shows are no longer available.  For example, at the moment the last run for these maps was yesterday.

In view of this, I've revised the script to eliminate the slide-show link and to emphasize the caution that must be used when viewing these charts.

The AM <=> PM switch-overs contained flawed logic and weren't working.  I think this problem has been fixed in the version 3 zip above.  No prior versions are now available.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:22:45 AM »
The MDL is now creating Alaska maps for all parameters except 'Liquid Potential' exactly like for the lower 48 states.  The MDL also publishes a similar series of maps comparing their Gridded MOS Forecast Maps with the National Digital Guidance Database Maps.  They drop to every six hour rather than every three hour forecasts after 3 days, but they're still interesting.  The version dated today in the first post above displays all three types of forecast maps.  As usual you can preview the script on my site.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »
I made some minor modifications to this script today:
  • I incorporated the selection script into the includes script, so after updating to today's version 'gmos-2hkmgrid-select.php' may be deleted from your site.
  • The version number now is just the date the script was modified.
  • The disclaimer that some map times will be DST or EST before the changeover is experimentally triggered only before the changeover.  Unfortunately the NWS is still using pre-2007 DST<=>EST dates, so the maps are already listed as 'EST' starting this Sunday, October 25.  I've sent a query to the webmaster about this problem
  • The script will now be distributed by downloading the current main script and includes script from my site, Right-clicking on the code, clicking 'Save as...', and saving without the '.txt'.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mikeym2m

• Senior Contributor
    • MikeyM's Thornhurst PA Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
Jerry

Thanks for the update!   =D&gt;

Cheers

:grin:

MikeyM

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 12:28:57 AM »
Updated.

Looks good.
John
W7JKG

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
Updated.

Looks good.

Agreed again many thanks. :-)
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
Nicely done!  =D&gt;

Just a thought for a future update... It would be nice to have the display scroll sequentially through the selections automatically. That would eliminate the need to manually mouse over each date/time link (I'm lazy).

Sorry, I know this suggestion makes more work for you...  :twisted:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 12:11:36 AM »
A belated thanks for the suggestion, Don, but I prefer the ability to instantly go to any date and time available.  Loops would be a totally different beast.  The way it's configured now you can pick a time of day and view successive days by moving your cursor down a column.  Or you can pick a day of interest and move your cursor over the successive times of that day.  Loops don't allow this sort of comparison viewing at all.

I just noticed today that the NWS has modified the comparison parameters for all but the 'Weather' by adding about a day and a half in the PM and about two days in the AM of 8 comparisons/day for all of the non-'Weather' comparisons whereas they all previously had only four comparisons/day.

The updated script is available dated today on my website.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
I noticed when you click on map for larger image it actually goes smaller. Is this browser issue I'm using opera?

I see what's going on... I'm already viewing website larger so when I click on image it goes smaller than current view.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:51:22 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
The daytime non-'Weather' comparison maps aren't lining up right today, whereas they did yesterday.  For some reason there are only seven maps for today with the remainder being four maps/day.  Yesterday there were 8 and then 7 maps/day.

Looking at the sources I see that their times aren't correct either.

Hmm...I'll see what tomorrow brings before I revise the script again.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 09:08:56 AM »
This morning the NWS MDL seems to have reverted back to their prior images and dates.

Accordingly I have also reverted back to my prior version of this script, and urge you to do the same.  This prior version is once again available on my site.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything