Author Topic: Your Weather Rooms  (Read 47498 times)

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: Your Weather Rooms
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:31 AM »
Here is 2 pictures of my weather room.

Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 04:52:35 AM »
I do all the software maintenance via VNC from my laptop over my wireless home network while sitting in my recliner in front of the TV and next to the police scanner.  No more hovering over a desk for me as far as the weather operation goes.   ;)

That's me.  Now that I have all the bugs worked out, I very rarely use the weather computer, unless it locks up or needs an update or something.  I check the data on other computers, wherever I am.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 05:09:22 AM »
I do all the software maintenance via VNC from my laptop over my wireless home network while sitting in my recliner in front of the TV and next to the police scanner.  No more hovering over a desk for me as far as the weather operation goes.   ;)

That's me.  Now that I have all the bugs worked out, I very rarely use the weather computer, unless it locks up or needs an update or something.  I check the data on other computers, wherever I am.

ditto again. These days I mess with the wx p.c. about every 6 months to temporarily shut it down to open it and vacuum out the dust/dog hair stuff, clean the fan intakes, etc.

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »
Aardvark has finally taken the lead here by showing a working weather room, not an area tidily manicured for a promotional picture.  At last I can admit to my sloth.

Funnily enough a little while back you could have been right, but recently I have been much better at keeping my desk tider  :lol:

Max.
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline croseiv

• CWOP station DW9333 Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
My weather PC :

and the outdoor station:

Offline Moose Whisperer

• Senior Contributor
    • Alaska Weather Watch
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
Here's my Weather Station Mission Control. I got tired of the endless clutter and cables associated with all of my multiple PCs and peripherals, so I built everything into a 21U Rack Enclosure.

From top to bottom the rack houses: Power dist panel, AM/FM Stereo, Cable Modem/Sonicwall Firewall-Router, extra drives, HP Procurve Switch, Cyberpower UPS, KVM Switch, 2U Chassis, 3U Chassis, 4U Chassis, Rackmount Keyboard Tray.

Same view with the PC Chasis doors open.

Closeup of the PC section. Each PC is built with Thermaltake Hot-Swappable SATA drive bays and a temp monitoring panel. The middle 3U Chassis holds my weather station 24/7 computer, while the bottom 4U Chassis is my General Purpose Desktop - both are multi core (Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge respectively) running Win 7. The Top 2U Chassis is an older Dual Core running XP for misc uses (right now, running an extra webcam).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:44:54 PM by Moose Whisperer »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
Derek, aka Moose Whisperer

That is a completely awesome setup. Wow!

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
I thought that I would add a picture of my humble "Weather Cave".

The monitor on the far right is associated with my Linux box running Weather Display. The Vantage VUE console on the wall has one of SLOWeather's UART boards in it which talks with Weather Display. (by way of USB RS232 dongle, my COM ports were both tied up with other stuff)

The 2nd picture is the HP XW4100 which is running Weather Display and One Wire Weather (OWW). The plots are from a conglomeration of OWWLOG, scripts and the trend desktop plotter program. WD handles uploads to my own site and PWSWeather, OWW still feeds WOW in the UK for some remaining One-Wire sensors.

Upstairs in the family room resides the garden-variety VP2 console with a WeatherlinkIP plugged into it. He does the CWOP/WU uploads.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:06:52 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tommyr

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
My set up. That TV is about 25 years old! Still works.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Here is mine, for what it's worth. I'll post a more recent photo soon. Thanks for viewing.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
****** DROOL ********

Here's my Weather Station Mission Control. I got tired of the endless clutter and cables associated with all of my multiple PCs and peripherals, so I built everything into a 21U Rack Enclosure.

From top to bottom the rack houses: Power dist panel, AM/FM Stereo, Cable Modem/Sonicwall Firewall-Router, extra drives, HP Procurve Switch, Cyberpower UPS, KVM Switch, 2U Chassis, 3U Chassis, 4U Chassis, Rackmount Keyboard Tray.

Same view with the PC Chasis doors open.

Closeup of the PC section. Each PC is built with Thermaltake Hot-Swappable SATA drive bays and a temp monitoring panel. The middle 3U Chassis holds my weather station 24/7 computer, while the bottom 4U Chassis is my General Purpose Desktop - both are multi core (Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge respectively) running Win 7. The Top 2U Chassis is an older Dual Core running XP for misc uses (right now, running an extra webcam).

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
The Lake Chapala WeatherNet corner of the world is a "rustico" desk with Davis, XM radio and small security cam on the left shelves, a Dell Zeno tucked under the left side of the desktop which is networked to two other PC's in another part of the house and UPS regulators at floor level. The OS stations (essentially now retired) to the right. I'm a bit of a "hide-the-wire" freak, and here with solid brick/cement/steel walls it ain't easy, but then I love a challenge. Tomorrow the acquisition of a small generator is at the top of the list, it will be necessary as we approach the rainy season, predicted to start Tuesday - when the normally erratic and unpredictable power gets even worse.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
You will, you already have a great weather site and none of us started with what we have now, so growing is part of the fun and good things happen in Hays, America. I'm at the other end of the cycle, downsizing, or trying to, or at least thinking about it? Maybe next year.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
You will, you already have a great weather site and none of us started with what we have now, so growing is part of the fun and good things happen in Hays, America. I'm at the other end of the cycle, downsizing, or trying to, or at least thinking about it? Maybe next year.

Thanks. What good things happen in Hays? Lol it's in the middle of nowhere.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
The Lake Chapala WeatherNet corner of the world is a "rustico" desk with Davis, XM radio and small security cam on the left shelves, a Dell Zeno tucked under the left side of the desktop which is networked to two other PC's in another part of the house and UPS regulators at floor level. The OS stations (essentially now retired) to the right. I'm a bit of a "hide-the-wire" freak, and here with solid brick/cement/steel walls it ain't easy, but then I love a challenge. Tomorrow the acquisition of a small generator is at the top of the list, it will be necessary as we approach the rainy season, predicted to start Tuesday - when the normally erratic and unpredictable power gets even worse.

I wish my room looked a fraction that good. My room looks like the end result of a twister.  ](*,)
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »
I was married to a lady from near Oberlin and she went to the U there in Hays, so we stayed a night there one time and toured all her old haunts. If you think Hays is a bit "restricted", you should try living in a small Mexican village - ha.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »
Mine is just the wx laptop under the bed and the console on the dresser.

That's a bad place for a laptop.

A few months ago there was a house that burned down due to a laptop under the bed became overheated.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 12:13:53 AM »
Gotta do what you gotta do. Mine dont get hot

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
I was married to a lady from near Oberlin and she went to the U there in Hays, so we stayed a night there one time and toured all her old haunts. If you think Hays is a bit "restricted", you should try living in a small Mexican village - ha.

Oberlin wow that's not far from here.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
Been there all 4 seasons, one Christmas we left the Vette parked out at the road because we knew the drifts of the blizzard that was coming in would bury it, been in hail storms, you name it, you guys in KS have a wide variety of weather, down here it's really boring, I wear shorts 95% of the time.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
Looks like our rainy season started at about 1am this morning, and yes, a brief power out, but the new generator is due to arrive today. Yesterday I got 2,671 hits on the site, it will be interesting to see what the number is tomorrow morning, it usually jumps when the rains start because all the snowbirds are back north and want to see what is happening. That probably means the high for the year was 90.0 on May 30th as it will cool now.

Edit 6/14: Yep, as expected, jumped to 3,688 yesterday, the rain always brings curiosity - and leaks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:02:22 PM by stevebrtx »

Offline xmas111

• http://www.johnsweather.com
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
Had this setup for a while now.   Everything works great except it's gets a little toasty in here when every thing is cranking.  :roll:

John

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Had this setup for a while now.   Everything works great except it's gets a little toasty in here when every thing is cranking.  :roll:

John

Nice

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
Here's mine. It is multi-purpose though as I video edit with it among other things.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
Here's mine. It is multi-purpose though as I video edit with it among other things.

Nice.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera