Author Topic: Refrigerator/Freezer Sensor Recommendation (Slightly OT?)  (Read 664 times)

Offline rct

• W2RCT
Refrigerator/Freezer Sensor Recommendation (Slightly OT?)
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
I need to get some refrigerator/freezer sensors - Looking for other's experience.

I've got the 986 sensors running in my old basement fridge.  I added support for them to rtl_433 a couple of years ago.  At the time when I bought that kit I think it was only $20, so $10/sensor seemed reasonable.  It came with a display that I didn't find very useful, but that might have just been me.

The 986 has a couple of cons:

• No Channel setting,  there is a volatile (random) ID that changes whenever power is lost (batteries are changed). This makes it difficult for monitoring more than one fridge and complicates monitoring/data storage
  • The signal seems a bit "weak", possibly/probably by design. The specs say 75 feet vs 330 ft for the tower sensors. I see periods where my rtl_433 that is ~30 ft away doesn't receive the 986's for over an hour.  Orientation makes a big difference.  I haven't tried to open them, but the antenna is probably just a PCB trace, not a helical coil that would do better from multiple orientations.

Anyone try the newer Acurite 0515 frigde/freezer sensor? The updated version adds the usual channel A/B/C switch, so it's easier to identify.  They aren't compatible with the Access. They are a bit more expensive at $35 for the pair + display. The specs still say the range is only 75 feet.  Some work would probably be needed to add support for them to rtl_433.

The thing that makes me hesitant to use the old towers, or the new 6044s are:
  • They transmit every 16 seconds. From what I've seen with my other sensors, collisions do happen where sensors are transmitting at the same time preventing reception of both until they drift apart again. I'm reluctant to add 2-4 of them.
  • I'd have to something "DIY" to "mount" them.[/li}
    • The indoor 6044's are preferable due to the display and the size, the are fairly compact, but I'm not sure if they would last very long in a freezer. The old towers are designed for outdoor use.

So I'm wondering what others have done?    If you've been monitoring your fridge/freezers especially when you are away from home, I'd like to know what works/doesn't work for you.

Thanks.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Refrigerator/Freezer Sensor Recommendation (Slightly OT?)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
I used to have two 06002rm tower sensors in the fridge/freezer when the old SmartHub handled 10 total sensors. I ran a total of seven of them without a problem or conflict. 
https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-06002rm-592txr.html

I ditched the two 06002rm’s in the fridge/freezer for the 00986 when I had to drop three sensors when I switched over to the Access and its 7-sensor limit.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
I'm using the 06044 to monitor the basement freezer. The 06044 been in the freezer for almost 6 months without any issues.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »
I have 3 06002M sensors . One for our chest freezer one for our fridge and one next to our houses thermostat . The only one I have a problem with is the chest freezer . It's about 35ft away on the same floor but maybe once a week it stops sending then reconnects by itself  . I keep the freezer at 0 degrees .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:31:10 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
O.P, tower sensors work just fine.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

anything