Author Topic: Can i add multiple acurite sensors to meteobridge?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Can i add multiple acurite sensors to meteobridge?
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »
Hello I have a 5-1 acurite on my roof and was wondering if its possible to use my current aculink bridge and meteobridge for another 3-1?  Also worried about interference between each other. indoor panels will be in same room but stations on different sides of roof. Also one question does meteobridge update itself or I have to do it?

I have this...

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WEATHERBRIDGE-Universal-Ethernet/dp/B00FPPYM7M?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Can i add multiple acurite sensors to meteobridge?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »
Hi,
meteobridge does not really "update" itself. The point to note is that MB basically loads the firmware everytime you reboot it. So everytime you reboot it it loads the most recent version of MB software.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
So your advice is to reboot every once in a while? reboot meaning holding button down and wait 5 sec?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »
Well I dont think it is necessary to do it too often. And all you have to do is unplug it from electricity.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
Or navigate tot he System tab and click "reboot".  And you can choose which version of the FW you want; either current or latest (even previous!)  Or boot the FW from a USB attached.  The only time I ever reboot is when  I get a multi-day outage as it seems to be unable to find its LAN IP to attach to the WAN.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Yes, I myself never do this intentionally. We occasionally have a power outage and sometimes MB does not "recover" from it, meaning I have to plug it to LAN and set up wi-fi again. Otherwise however it is working perfectly fine so I try to leave it alone as much as possible ;)

Offline TheWeatherGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:21 PM »
Hello I have a 5-1 acurite on my roof and was wondering if its possible to use my current aculink bridge and meteobridge for another 3-1?  Also worried about interference between each other. indoor panels will be in same room but stations on different sides of roof.

Hi Adrian

Yes, I do just that.  The acurite bridge will be able to see the 3in1 and 5in1.  Meteobridge will see whatever goes thru the bridge.  I have 2 5in1's a 3in1 and a couple of towers.  They are ALL seen by Meteobridge.  I do not know if the bridge has a limit on the number of sensors that it will recognize but it can only "send" in 3 sensor readings to MBW.  However it will see more than 3 sensors and apparently passes that info back to Acurite.  That is the only way that Meteobridge "sees" it.  Maybe someone more familiar with the workings of the bridge can comment.

TWG

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
I do not know if the bridge has a limit on the number of sensors that it will recognize but it can only "send" in 3 sensor readings to MBW.  However it will see more than 3 sensors and apparently passes that info back to Acurite.  That is the only way that Meteobridge "sees" it.  Maybe someone more familiar with the workings of the bridge can comment.

The Acurite Bridge sends the data for as many devices as it can recognize.  The 3-device limit is imposed by Acurite's MyBackyardWeather site.  MBW hears all devices, but only lets you see data from 3 per bridge.

Obviously, that's a very artificial limitation of MBW.  There have been rumors that someday they'll let you manage more devices for a fee.  For now the only MBW option is to purchase another bridge (uggh!) to support an additional 3 devices in your MBW account.

However, if you're just reading the bridge locally, you can read all the sensors you want, up until their signals start colliding on the airwaves or you have problems keeping track of which sensor is which.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »
I do not know if the bridge has a limit on the number of sensors that it will recognize but it can only "send" in 3 sensor readings to MBW.  However it will see more than 3 sensors and apparently passes that info back to Acurite.  That is the only way that Meteobridge "sees" it.  Maybe someone more familiar with the workings of the bridge can comment.

The Acurite Bridge sends the data for as many devices as it can recognize.  The 3-device limit is imposed by Acurite's MyBackyardWeather site.  MBW hears all devices, but only lets you see data from 3 per bridge.

Obviously, that's a very artificial limitation of MBW.  There have been rumors that someday they'll let you manage more devices for a fee.  For now the only MBW option is to purchase another bridge (uggh!) to support an additional 3 devices in your MBW account.

However, if you're just reading the bridge locally, you can read all the sensors you want, up until their signals start colliding on the airwaves or you have problems keeping track of which sensor is which.

So anyway to keep them from colliding or interfering with each other? I have a 5-1 up on one side of my apt and want to add my 3-1 to the other side of the roof using same aculink bridge will the 2 cause problems? Also does Meteobridge even allow option to add multiple sensors at once? If i looking at my current data with my 5-1 getting mixed with 3-1 then I think I'll pass on this. Would really like to do it though

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
I have a 5-1 and two tower sensors.  They all live happily together.  I see no reason why two towers would not do the same.  Although is the weather on the other side of your house THAT different??  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
Na it's my 3-1 that I first bought before upgrading to 5-1 double solar panel. It's been sitting in my closet so figured I could use it for wind. You know can you provide me with some links or ideas for side roof brackets to install 3-1? I've seen kinda like dish tv setups and stuff but figured msybe you can help with other ideas. House maintenance guy installed 5-1 but he's not around anymore so this will have to be done by me so not looking for anything to complicated. I would really really like to get it up higher the 5-1 or just as high.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
If you think your wind speed is too low as far as what is being reported to the CWOP or other sites, you are not alone, however, that is the way they want the data. They take an average reading, then a "Gust" reading as a max reported since the last upload. I also would like to see higher readings sent by 5 MPH or so, but I am not going to try to make maintenance of these sensors any harder than it already is! ;)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
Well not really I've yet to experience severe wx over my station since its up but thus far winds have been ok comparing to stations around me and local air port. I just don't want aggravation of the 2 stations are gonna start Interacting with each other. Both consoles will be in my living room pretty close but sensors out separated. So still kinda iffy about doing. Any suggestions as to brackets or arms to set up on side of the roof? Nothing to complicated. Thx

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
Still waiting for good storm to come over. Rainy season set to start soon so we shall see. Rainfall seems pretty accurate till now.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »
Na it's my 3-1 that I first bought before upgrading to 5-1 double solar panel. It's been sitting in my closet so figured I could use it for wind. You know can you provide me with some links or ideas for side roof brackets to install 3-1? I've seen kinda like dish tv setups and stuff but figured msybe you can help with other ideas. House maintenance guy installed 5-1 but he's not around anymore so this will have to be done by me so not looking for anything to complicated. I would really really like to get it up higher the 5-1 or just as high.

J-mount.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4519.0

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
So anyway to keep them from colliding or interfering with each other? I have a 5-1 up on one side of my apt and want to add my 3-1 to the other side of the roof using same aculink bridge will the 2 cause problems? Also does Meteobridge even allow option to add multiple sensors at once? If i looking at my current data with my 5-1 getting mixed with 3-1 then I think I'll pass on this. Would really like to do it though

The data packets have identifying information in them, like the model type  (3n1 or 5n1) and a short ID number.  This is usually enough to tell what data is coming from where.

As far as collisions go, that's a normal fact of life in communications.  Each device emits a packet on a fixed schedule, such as a 5n1 every 18 seconds, a temp/humidity tower every 16 seconds, and so on.  The different timings lessens the likelyhood that two devices will keep colliding with each other often.   The'll still collide once in a while, though.

Also, the 433MHz frequency is shared by other similar devices (e.g. wireless keys, home automation and security devices, etc.)  The packets from these can also cause collisions, but it's usually not a big problem.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »

The data packets have identifying information in them, like the model type  (3n1 or 5n1) and a short ID number.  This is usually enough to tell what data is coming from where.

As far as collisions go, that's a normal fact of life in communications.  Each device emits a packet on a fixed schedule, such as a 5n1 every 18 seconds, a temp/humidity tower every 16 seconds, and so on.  The different timings lessens the likelyhood that two devices will keep colliding with each other often.   The'll still collide once in a while, though.

Also, the 433MHz frequency is shared by other similar devices (e.g. wireless keys, home automation and security devices, etc.)  The packets from these can also cause collisions, but it's usually not a big problem.

So is there an option to add my 3-1 to my meteobridge? Id also like to send faster to WU rather thouse 5 min with aculink. In the world of weather that's not acceptable lots can be missed.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »

Like this? http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/winegard-ds3000-j-pipe-mount-for-antennas-p-1722.html or this one? http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/dish-network-jmount-for-tv-antenna-or-satellite-dish-antenna-166-inch-mast-jmount-p-2132.html does it lock into place at the bottom? Also can I attach pvc at the end instead of metal so no worries about lighting iam not really to go any higher then maybe 15 feet 16 at most.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
[quote author=Adrian23 link=topic=29355.msg288195#

So is there an option to add my 3-1 to my meteobridge? Id also like to send faster to WU rather thouse 5 min with aculink. In the world of weather that's not acceptable lots can be missed.
[/quote]

I don't know enough about meteobridge to answer that, but I'm pretty sure it will allow you to mix and match the sensors reporting to wunderground in rapid-fire fashion.

MBW actually only forwards data to wunderground every 15 minutes.  Meteobridge will take care of the rapid fire, but wunderground is still going to knock it back down to 5 minutes for long term storage. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

Like this? http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/winegard-ds3000-j-pipe-mount-for-antennas-p-1722.html or this one? http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/dish-network-jmount-for-tv-antenna-or-satellite-dish-antenna-166-inch-mast-jmount-p-2132.html does it lock into place at the bottom? Also can I attach pvc at the end instead of metal so no worries about lighting iam not really to go any higher then maybe 15 feet 16 at most.

yup - those.  But not at that price! (I just bought a half dozen for 5 bucks from a sat installer who did not need them).  You might be able to get one for free/cheap from a similar shop in your area.  As for PVC, it flexes, creates static and if lightning hits ain't nothing going to help!  I'd use aluminum pipe.  If you read my thread you note that they hinge and that makes it a bit easier to replace batteries etc.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »

yup - those.  But not at that price! (I just bought a half dozen for 5 bucks from a sat installer who did not need them).  You might be able to get one for free/cheap from a similar shop in your area.  As for PVC, it flexes, creates static and if lightning hits ain't nothing going to help!  I'd use aluminum pipe.  If you read my thread you note that they hinge and that makes it a bit easier to replace batteries etc.

Can u please help me find a cheaper one then or the one you used? Also were exactly do I get extension pole or aluminum tube? I do need other end to slide into the 3-1. Thx sorry for all the questions

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Limit for Meteobridge with regards to the interval of sending data is 5 seconds to any service and you can combine many services and set particular interval for each

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Call around to satellite dealers in your area.  Someone is bound to have one.   Or ebay - scads of them there for 10-15 bucks.  You can get the metal poles at http://metalsupermarkets.com/  Or Home Depot/Lowes etc.  You can get the right size to fit in the wx station mount and just shim the pole in the J-mount.  That is what I did.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
Exactly what I have.

anything